How do you safely remove road-grime?

BangkokBusa

Registered
Hi guys,

I'm trying to clean up the bike, but I have a decent amount of road grime on the lower fairing. I don't want to scrub too hard and scratch the clearcoat, nor do I want to use a solvent-based cleaner that will take the paint off or melt the plastic
SHOCKED.gif

Can anyone suggest a solution (literally)?

Thanks
all_coholic.gif

WD-40.
beerchug.gif

I use it on the rims and lower fairings (Not all of fairings) and also on any metal that might get chain fling.

(BlueHaya @ Jul. 28 2007,17:24) WD-40.  
beerchug.gif

I use it on the rims and lower fairings (Not all of fairings) and also on any metal that might get chain fling.
+1 i use the same thing
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Thanks Blue and Semi. Is there anything else I could use on the fairing plastic? I'd sh!t if it did something to the plastic/paint.

I use Plexus for the rest of my plastics.
beerchug.gif

I just washed my bike with water for the first time the other day, because it had alot of grime/dust from 2800 mile trailer ride. Afterwards I blew it off with a leaf blower to dry it. Then clean up wi th Plexus.

+1 on the Simple Green. They make a foaming version which works VERY well.

Follow up with a great coat of wax.

--Wag--

WD-40 cleans great,but there's something in it that hardens and crystalizes some plastics over time and make them very brittle.I have no clue if the body panels is one of them.

(Wag @ Jul. 28 2007,18:49) +1 on the Simple Green.  They make a foaming version which works VERY well.

Follow up with a great coat of wax.

--Wag--
+1 with HEAVY emphasis on the WAXING after you clean up the mess off the fairing  
beerchug.gif

+1 on the honda polish, tinmann. S100 (which is who makes hondabrite) also sells a non-aerosol cleaner under their own name for about 10 bucks a liter. That's what I use on the whole bike - spray it on everything - the seat, windshield, tires, brakes, fairings, frame, wheels, etc. Let it sit for a couple minutes, then hose it off, and the bike is clean as can be. I follow up with the eagle one wax-as-u-dry and call it a day.

Dunno, not cleaned there yet. I know it is bad. I got a spray cleaner at home I will try monday and post results.

Honda Brite is the best for Road grim and to remove bugs from the plastic. Wash lower fairway good in soap and water then dry it, then use the hondabrite works great.

Goop. ( A creamer cleaner in a tube, not the silicone in a tube.) I found it for a dollar a tube and it works great on the sprocket and swing arms too.

Your going to find that the first time you clean it that it will be scratched up pretty good. It just the nature of the beast because of its location. Rocks and what ever else from the road are going to do a number on it. Just clean it up best you can... i've used WD-40 on mine for 2 years with no issues... spray it on the rag and start rubbin!

(bradsbusa @ Jul. 29 2007,07:48) plexis nuff said water kills
Please!!!

You can ride it in the rain!!! Where do these urban legends get started??
rock.gif

P.S.- S100 works awesomely!!

Man you guys are awesome, thank you! I did manage to scratch the mouth scoop a bit trying to apply elbow grease with soapy water
all_coholic.gif

THANKS AGAIN ALL!
beerchug.gif

Back