How do you get the wheel bearings out?

CAT3

Donating Member
Registered
I just found out I can fit wheels in the oven for powder coating. I had a friend give me a damaged GSXR1k wheel, so I test fit it, and it works. So, naturally I went ahead and ripped the seals out, drove the bearings out with a drift and hammer, but I dont think thats the recommended way
smile.gif
Did damage the front spacer/axle piece, so looking for what tool is used or press etc. I have a few sets of wheels waiting for powder coating, including my own. Thanks.

(CAT3 @ Jan. 06 2007,22:24) I just found out I can fit wheels in the oven for powder coating.  I had a friend give me a damaged GSXR1k wheel, so I test fit it, and it works.  So, naturally I went ahead and ripped the seals out, drove the bearings out with a drift and hammer, but I dont think thats the recommended way
smile.gif
 Did damage the front spacer/axle piece, so looking for what tool is used or press etc.  I have a few sets of wheels waiting for powder coating, including my own.  Thanks.
Geez that's about the only way i've ever known! Bearings are tougher than you hear. Once one is out and the spacer is out of the way, the last one is easier, but a good hit with a brass drift is the way i've done it! And reused the bearing 98% of the time!!
all_coholic.gif

I messed the spacer up...well actually I was using a large flattip screwdriver, but just thought even a brass drift would mess it up.

(CAT3 @ Jan. 06 2007,21:00) I messed the spacer up...well actually I was using a large flattip screwdriver, but just thought even a brass drift would mess it up.
Catman...you're begging for trouble using a screwdriver.....the brass punch is the way to go....

No expert here...DD

(Devil Dog @ Jan. 06 2007,21:03)
(CAT3 @ Jan. 06 2007,21:00) I messed the spacer up...well actually I was using a large flattip screwdriver, but just thought even a brass drift would mess it up.
Catman...you're begging for trouble using a screwdriver.....the brass punch is the way to go....

No expert here...DD
Well I figured I'd mess this one up, but like I said it was a scrap wheel, so no worries there. I just figured there was some special tool or press was the only way, but if a brass drift will work, then I can handle that. Thanks.

actually, key stock is preferred. Brass is soft, and little bits will flake off and land who knows where.
Key steel is softer than bearings , and won't flake off. I use about a 10" length of 5/8 keystock, with the end ground to a 1/4" land. Use the biggest hammer you have.

A Steel punch, especailly if you're want to reuse the bearings. As said before a brass punch is too soft and may fragment a piece  brass into your bearing when you hit it.

To put the bearings back in you can use a socket that will fit directly onto  the outside lip of the  wheel bearing. Then place a piece of wood over it and  take your time hitting it back into place, make sure it is going in evenly after each tap . This is how I did my first bearing removal when I sent my wheels out to be chromed on my first Busa.
Now I just use a bearing race seal driver set I ordered through Harbor frieght and tools to put them back in my wheels.

92387.gif

I removed my front bearings back in Oct.  This is what happens when you ride year round in winter salt.

Used a claw hammer to remove the dust seal.
DSC03241.jpg

Steel punch.

DSC03244.jpg

DSC03243.jpg

DSC03246.jpg

salt is a bearing killer!!! ouch! I have found out as well that a socket or bench press works well too you just have to be careful when pressing on the bearing as you can damage it pretty easy!!
beerchug.gif

Back