how do you get bike on rear stand?

NearDeath

Donating Member
Registered
Just got my set of handy stands in and this is the first time I am going to attempt to put the bike or any bike for that matter on the rear stand. The thing is... the bike leans on the kickstand so the stand doesn't seem to fit perfectly around the bike to just prop it up...

How do you get the bike on the stand with only one person?

Thanks
Cloud

Do you have spools? Is it a spool stand? If it is, position your body on the kickstand side of the bike, put your left forearm over the seat and hold the other side of the bike with your hand, straiten the bike up while holding it steady and place the stand on the spools. Make sure both sides are all the way on then apply pressure to the stand. When it feels like the stand is holding the bike up get behind it and push down hard. If your not sure if it's gonna work don't try it alone. Get used to it a couple of times with a buddy. It would be $$$ if it goes over!!

thanks; I will wait and have someone help the first couple of times to see how it goes. Thanks.

Cloud

Very carefully
biggrin.gif

J/K Jusmoov, pretty much summed it up. Same way I do it.

Note: I have notched my kick stand.

1) I put the bike's kick stand on a small board (to get it almost straight up). I used a 2"x1".
2) Straightened the front wheel.
3) Then tilt the Handy Stand hooking both spools firmly.
4)Then lever it up with the stand. Usually I am touching the hump or the rear seat with my left hand but no real pressure. I watch to make sure the spools (especially the right one) do not get unhooked

I used the board under the kickstand on the way down also just guiding it down slowly with pressure from my left hand and watching that the kickstand does not fold.

Now that I have down it many times and have the feel. I have stopped using the board.

Recently I took my stands to a local welding shop, and had them take off a 1.75 of a inch to make it easier and safer. If I had to do it again, I would have taken off 1.5 inches. By the way, I have modified the rear fender so the tire can still be removed when needed.

I have the pad version, not spool and all I do is take my rear seat/cowl off and lean it up carfully by the back end. Then position the stand under the swing arm and push down on the stand, should just pop right up on the stand
cool.gif

going to give it a shot... thanks for all the advice... The board idea I think is what I am going to try...

Let me you know shortly.

just watch that right side....gotta make sure you get the pad situated around the brake caliper and on the swingarm....doesnt matter what method you use, thats the part that will likely screw you up at first
wink.gif

Good luck though
smile.gif
You really can get a good grip of the bike if you take the seat/cowl off and grab the back end firmly.

Had my wife watch one side of the bike as I put the bike on the stand... I have to admit, it is not as easy as I thought it would be... There is definetly a lot of room to drop it on its way onto the stand...

Thanks for the tips... removing the rear seat and using boards to straighten up the bike made all the difference in the world...

Now for the front stand...
biggrin.gif

Cloud

heh, the front one is cake once you have the rear on
wink.gif
just make sure you do it on a nice level surface and get the tips in the holes or they will pop out on ya

heh, the front one is cake once you have the rear on
wink.gif
  just make sure you do it on a nice level surface and get the tips in the holes or they will pop out on ya
now you mention it... how can you get the tips in the holes? Based on the angle of the stand, you are really putting it on the edge of the stand and then hoping it will fall into place...
thumbs-up.gif

or am I just panicing a bit too much...

Cloud

nah, you got it....just line up the grooves of the stand below the tips on the forks, then push down slowly...should go in

just make sure you get the edges of the forks into the grooves and you should be good.

front was easy... I have figured out how to get the bike down by myself using the foot in front of the wheel method mentioned above...

Front stand looked scary, but it was easy... I don't think the front stand is sturdy enough to take the front wheel off though. With the slightest movement the stand will wobble in the front because it has no brace in the center...

For the price you can't beat it, but I definetly see the quality difference between some of the more expensive stands and the handy stands... I would buy again though for the money.

Cloud

Should have gotten Pitbull stands - much better quality. But they are all a pain in the butt to use especially because the Busa is so darn heavy. I for one never put my Busa on the stands unless someone is there to spot me, not worth the risk IMHO.

wow, I have had the regular old yellow suzuki stand and have never really thought about it...I just grab the bar on the back, put it up semi-straight with my knee and with the other hand, catch the right spool with the stand. when I start to push down on the stand, it straightens the bike up and catchs the other spool. Presto, bike on stand. Of course, it helps when you weight half as much as the bike...just how big a boy are ya?

I too have the yellow Suzuki rear stand but I do not have the guts to try to do it myself. It's just too darn heavy.

HEY DAMNIT Pay Attention... Fugging get a piece of Freakin 2X4 or similar, then staple some cardstock or whatever on it.  Adjust as needed so when you slip it under your sidestand your baby is almost 100% Verticle.  Then motor around back with your fuggin race stand and up she comes, no drama, no balancing act, no help needed, no popping off the hump or similar, no mistakes and busa goes boom...  Dead simple...

GOT IT?  
rock.gif

That is all...  
wink.gif

OH And Stands are stands until your putting a 540lbs motocycle on them. Get some PitBull or Monster Speed Freak Stands if he's making them yet. But get good quality stands. You could Fuggin tackle my Busa when up on the Pitbulls and all you get is a tiny little bit of skid as the stand slides on the concrete. Super strong, super stable...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1089819483 -->

Spools BTW There is a reason for them little holes in your swingarm... You couldn't pay me to hoist my baby in the air with a little "Flexy" stand and rubber coated tabs... Too darn dangerous folks...

Back