How do you cook your steak?

Devil Dog

Donating Member
Registered
give up all the details....type of steak, marinade recipe, grill or pan.....

Step by step.......

Thanks DD

On the GRILL
super.gif

Buck naked Ribeye on a hot grill! Dont add any seasoning (if at all) until it's about done, which aint long for my Med.rare tastes!

I know people that take em out and let them set at room temp for a full day prior to cooking but that is just to unsanitary for me.

Depending on how big the (edited to add: Tenderloin) steak is...

Start with kikkoman soy sauce (probably 1/4cup or so) - add a little worchestershire (?) sauce (2 or 3 tablespoons) - mix in some crushed up raw jalapeno or serrano peppers (or chop them up and keep chopping them until they're a 'mush') - mix in a couple of finely chopped shallots - mix in a few tablespoons of brown sugar.

This all goes into a shallow bowl large enough to hold the steak.  I cover this with wrap and stick in in the fridge overnight.  Turn it over once or twice if you remember.

Then grill over charcoal, brushing on the remaining mix as it grills.

Oh man, now I'm hungry...

Get yo steak, I like to season mine with lawreys and pepper. Stab the sh!^ out of the steak and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours (if you want, put some worscxher sauce or steak sauce on.) Throw it on the grill four min a side for rare, five for med and six for well.

A tip on how to tell the doneness of your steak: Take your thumb and index finger (#1) and touch them together in a circle or OK symbol. feel the skin right between where the thumb meets the hand and the knuckle joint, thats how a rare steak should feel if you touch it. move on to the next finger and make the circle, thats how a medium done steak should feel. The ring finger should be med. well and the pinky is well ( and tough as leather.)

Also it is a good idea to let the steak come to room temp before grilling (about an hour out of the fridge.)
beerchug.gif

I like T-Bones... and I set them out to get room temp (that way the inside part isn't still blood red when the outside is nice and cooked... the inside cooks faster.) But not all day.. just 'til they get to room temp.

I rub with McCormick Steak Rub.

View attachment 1602958

Hot grill, 6-7 mins on each side (I like 'em Medium.)

Can't ask for more than a good steak
beerchug.gif

Rib-eye or New York Strip or Porterhouse.

Charcoal grill with mesquite smoker chips soaked in water for a few minutes.

Spread Montreal Steak seasoning over both sides.

Grill to rare or medium rare.

Eat and prepare for orgasms of the tongue!

--Wag--

Porterhouse is the way to go...

I wet it down with Garlic infused Olive oil and spinkle some Steak seasoning (tri pepper, garlic, sea salt etc...)on it. Get the gas grill hot (really hot), put on the steak it'll sizzle like crazy but makes the nice char lines... Flip after a few and cook to your preference...

porterhouse.jpg

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

One 12-ounce jar orange marmalade
  1/2 cup red wine vinegar
  1 tablespoon chili powder
  2 tablespoons A-1 steak sauce
  1/2 cup ketchup
  2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  3 pounds flank steak
  Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS
  1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix 'em up well.
  Set aside 1 cup of the marinade (see step #3 & #4) and add the flank steak
  to the remaining marinade and coat well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

2. Preheat your BBQ grill so it's pretty darn hot. Toss the steak on the grill
  pour some of the marinade on top. After a minute to get a good sear,
  flip the flank steak over and pour a bit more of the marinade on that side.
  Discard any leftover marinade (since it had been on raw meat).
  Turn the BBQ burner down to medium. Flip again after 4 more minutes,
  and then remove after 4 additional minutes. This will be fairly rare;
  add a 1-2 minutes per side for more well done.

3. While you let the flank steak sit for 5 minutes, microwave the cup
  of marinade that you put aside earlier so it is good-n-hot.

4. Spread half of the marinade across the steak and cut again the grain
  into thin slices. Provide the last of the marinade for those that want
  a little extra on their pieces, and start chowing down!    ;-)

<a href="http://imageshack.us">ImageShack Links Do Not Work[/URL]

First, take that steak and some expresso ground coffee (sumatra works real well), rub that coffee into the steak real good. Then seal that steak in plastice wrap or vacuum pack and let sit in frig over night.

Second, pull that wrapped up steak out of the frig and set on counter to bring temp up to around 65F or so (room temp). Then remove from wrap and brusk loose coffee off steak.

Place cast iron skillet in oven at around 500-600F and let it get hot. While this is going on light the grill and leave on high.

Take some garlice (mashed), salt, pepper, onion powder, celery salt, and some soy sauce... mix this together to how you like the flavor of each ingredient.

Remove the skillet from oven and sear both sides of the steak on it. Then place steak on grill and liberly use the mixture from above on top... let steak cook for about 5-6 minutes (depending on thickness, I usually have 1.5" to 2.0" New York Strips or Porterhouse)... flip that steak and once again liberly use the mixture on the steak again. Cook another 5-6 minutes. This will make a good rare steak at 1.5' to 2.0".

At this point you need to know if you like it rare, medium rare, medium, etc. Here's a quick trick...

This uses the palm of your hand to tell where the steak is at in cooking:
Hold your hand out flat with thumb up against the rest of the hand

Rare - right at the base of the thumb on your palm, push here, steak should be around the same when pushed on, this will be the same for the rest of the areas as well.
Medium - move about an inch down your palm towards your wrist and push
Medium Well - push right above wrist in the middle of your hand

You'll notice that the more you move down your hand/palm the less softness is associated with the push.

Well Done - burn it and call it good (I don't cook well done at all)

Hope this helps.

Ok DD,get yerself a porterhouse or Delmonicle(rib eye) steak.If you like a little kick,use a marinade of water/salt/and cyanne pepper.Remove steak from fridge at least an hr prior to cooking,and you can marinate it first.
Then If you are like me,it will be cooked at medium rare on the grill,which means,2 times on 1 side and only once on the other. I alsout just a little bit of olive oil on each side for a little taste of char...

Now here's the kicker....and nobody (unless they know what I got up my sleeve)..when the steak is done,drizzle a bunch of Extra Dry Vermouth (bought at liquor stor) on it and enjoy the best steak of your life...

Trust me,,,,I used to cook at a steak house!
Chucks to be exact!!

Back