How do you carry your gun while riding?

Most people are right handed, and they always fire with their dominant hand (right hand), so how are you going to fire your weapon and maintain a constant speed on the Busa?

Do any of you ever pratice shooting with your weak side?
rock.gif
 It could come in handy.

May want to think about a left handed shoulder holster to eliminate the need for cross drawing your weapon.
biggrin.gif

You are talking about shooting on the run...right?
tounge.gif
Based on the law here in Fla, I can't think of way you could get by with shooting someone in self-defense while riding a busa. You have to be in fear of death or great bodily harm and not have a way of escape. If you are riding the busa, you should have a way of escape. If you're not riding, you can use your right had to shoot the perp.
After I got my new jacket, (fits very snug) I was wondering how I would carry mine, the normal place will not work, I'm thinking of getting pants with big pockets on the sides for riding, good question, maybe someone can help me.
It was a joke Kevin
wow.gif

I don't carry unless I'm traveling, because with my temper, I would probably end up shooting someone sooner than later, and just end up in jail with no Busa to ride.
laugh.gif

I've always wnated a fake hand grenade to hang off of the windscreen, and when someone cuts you off, pull up next to them at the next light and toss it in their window. Cracks me up just thinking about their reactions.
jump9.gif

Ah, Warbaby...  The Master of Busa-Foo...  
smile.gif

I am all for packin heat folks, I got my concealed carry paperwork submitted as we speak.  But it is REALLY easy to talk about defending ones self with deadly force, it's quite another to actually have to do it.  

Massad Ayoob wrote a book a while back called StressFire Massad knows of what he speaks and is one expert I trust and respect.  The basic point of this book is that Talking and Thinking about what you will do in a given situation is completely and absolutely different than the reality...  Even experienced LEO's in high STRESS life or Death situations have failed to shoot effectively.  An example of this is a case "awhile back" of two officers confronted by an armed suspect, he opens fire they return fire at a range of about 8', both officers empty their weapons...  and hit exactly bobo!  Interesting huh?  (No I don't remember the specifics)  Point is if you have never been in this situation, never dealt with the reality of a life or death defense, all the talk in the world, all the imagined heroics mean bobo.    

I don't think anyone here has the delusion of shooting while on the Busa though, it's just a matter of carrying that safety blanket around with him or her.  Here's another thought, you cannot use a firearm to prevent an empty handed ass whooping!  You point it, your going to jail, you shoot it in the air like on TV?  You go to jail.  I still think that a majority of the "armed Citizenry" out there cruise around with the attitude that "well I am armed, I am therefore a tough guy" and never really understand the implications.   Besides, the press has blown the real dangers of the streets WAY outta proportion.  Street crime is low percentage wise, your chances of needing a firearm in legitimate self defense are also incredibly low... the numbers just aren't there to really support the need.  Having said that though I am all for an armed society and carrying concealed, I just think that those who choose to carry need to have a real grasp of the realities involved...

Oh and in regards to books... might just be me, but I am pretty sure that Jeff Cooper is a deluded crack pot, and I recommend stearing clear of his writings...

I live in Miami FL. It's always a war down here... Dam cagers...
argue.gif
I always carry (Glock 23 w/night sights) You never know when you might get BIKE JACKED...
guns.gif

The basic point of this book is that Talking and Thinking about what you will do in a given situation is completely and absolutely different than the reality...  Even experienced LEO's in high STRESS life or Death situations have failed to shoot effectively.  
I fully understand what you're talkin about Rev.

When I went througha course with the USMC while in the Navy, we had to shoot a combat weapons course while the Marine Corps Cadres were; screaming in our ears, throwing empty casings at us, blaring a bullhorn siren behind us, and then to top it off...at the indoor range they used a friggin light bar and strobes for distractors.

I earned several Expert Pistol/Rifle Medals while I was in, but that course was hell. I only managed to get 14/18 rounds on paper. 12/18 was the minimum.
laugh.gif

The hand-hand combat training is a whole 'nuther story. Can you say, "beat the shid out of each other style free-for-all"? Too much fun!

Most people are right handed, and they always fire with their dominant hand (right hand), so how are you going to fire your weapon and maintain a constant speed on the Busa?

Do any of you ever pratice shooting with your weak side?
rock.gif
 It could come in handy.

May want to think about a left handed shoulder holster to eliminate the need for cross drawing your weapon.
biggrin.gif

You are talking about shooting on the run...right?
tounge.gif
Based on the law here in Fla, I can't think of way you could get by with shooting someone in self-defense while riding a busa. You have to be in fear of death or great bodily harm and not have a way of escape. If you are riding the busa, you should have a way of escape. If you're not riding, you can use your right had to shoot the perp.
After I got my new jacket, (fits very snug) I was wondering how I would carry mine, the normal place will not work, I'm thinking of getting pants with big pockets on the sides for riding, good question, maybe someone can help me.
True about FL law. Depending on how I feel, I use either a high-riding holster on the strong side, a fanny pack, or lastly the hump storage. Unless you warp into Iraq when at full throttle, I would find it highly unlikely to be firing away John Wayne style while at speed.

Your jacket should cover a high riding holster w/out problem, except it creates an issue if you want to remove your jacket when stopped...
smile.gif

Between my elbows and shoulders.
laugh.gif

Gonna start carrying my 380 as soon as I get the license. You guys are prrof that there are just too many nuts running around with an advantage over me.

<!--EDIT|Thinker62
Reason for Edit: None given...|1095878044 -->

Not good pictures, but...

bdm.com + bdm.com

MASH vertical holster, S&W 627 5" (yes, that's .357 x 8). I don't plan on shooting while in motion, just doesn't seem practical or especially sensible. Useful if I'm stuck on the side of the road somewhere, I'm thinking, or camping, etc.

Fits ok under my jacket, but could be better. The N-frame is kind of a big-ass piece, however, so there's only so much I can do. One or two custom fabricators make IWB holsters for this thing, but I'm going to have to see it to believe it.

Because of where it hangs I don't think if I go down I'm going to land on it, but I could see cracking a rib or two all the same. I don't think I am in any danger of it going off under those conditions, however.

<!--EDIT|mcoyote
Reason for Edit: None given...|1095916355 -->

smile.gif
Seriously though folks, Concealed weapons have never "PREVENTED" a crime... They may have STOPPED a crime but they have never nor will they ever provide any sort of deterent. REAL deterant is OPEN CARRY. The dude with the AK has the right Idea. I would be riding with a Glock .45 in the tank bag in Colorado and have jsut as many issues with people cutting me off etc as I would any other day. BUT, I strap on the .357 in a thigh rig with the .12 gauge slung across the back on my way to go shooting? You would be surprised how polite and suddenly courteous everyone would be. Hell, NO Tailgaters, no one at all messing with me...

So, if you live in a state where Open carry is legal? That is what I would heartily recommend, you may still get "Bike Jacked" with a concealed weapon, and you really do not have a legal ground in many stated to do anything about it, WHAT? Shoot em' in the back? Uh... Nope not in most states. So there you are with your concealed weapon and your bobo in your hands...

BUT NOBODY... NOT EVEN THE CRACKHEAD, MESSES WITH A DUDE WHO IS OBVIOUSLY STRAPPED!!!! When was the last time you heard of a beat COP in uniform getting mugged? NEVER to my knowledge, But there have been plenty of cases of plainclothes Officers getting held up at gunpoint, and they get their wallet and their weapon jacked... He he he... Wouldn't that be a beeeyotch?
laugh.gif
So again think about just what kinda situations you could find yourself in where a concealed weapon is the best option? Not many... Like I said though, I'm still waiting for my License...

Do you carry? That's a loaded question.

I'm sorry, someone had to say it
biggrin.gif

Backpack or tankbag, rarely do I carry on my person when I am riding.

Revlis, again you beat me to it. Ayoob is really on point and his articles in G&A are usually usefull. Cooper is a an arrogant ass (met him in `93 I think) but has good points regarding use of cover.

The example you gave regarding the police shooting are all to frequent. The last statistic I remember came from the FBI analysis I belive was in 2002. It reported that 85% of shots fired miss their intended target. Why? A good question. My personal opinion explaining this is two fold. One most cops only "qualify" every 6 months or so. The qualification is usually geared to pass even the poorest shooter. My 7 year old daughter could easily "qualify" at most police ranges. Also police (I know I'm generalizing) think of their firearm as a tool, like pliers, wrenches or a drill for that matter. They do not seem to devote much time or thought to it. This leads to poor performance overall. Shooters who care for, love, are faithful and devoted to their firearm seem to fair better overall. They have quicker strings of fire with more accuracy and deal with malfunctions much efficiently than someone who only shoots 50 rounds a year. I typically shoot 3 days a week and eat up a case of ammo a month (per weapon). I just wish I could shoot more
smile.gif

Second reason for poor performance is due to your nervous system. To put it simply. When something "dangerous" happens suddenly a persons heart rate will go up, which is another long explination that I will skip. The main thing to consider is as your heartrate reaches different levels (ie 120 BPM "beats per minute" or 160 BPM, ect) your body gives up certian abilities at different levels. The suffering areas to go are fine motor skills, tunnel vision, gross motor coordination, ect. If a person does not know what to expect from themsleves then they will perform poorly when the time has come. Most police DO NOT (excluding swat training) practice for "the time". Standing on a range congradulating yourself on your 45 out of 50 on paper will not give a true representation of you accuracy under duress.

Everyone interested in this topic please PLEASE try this experiment.

Go to your range and shoot your usual string of shots at your usuall (most comfortable) distance.

Mark your target

Reload (following all safety guidelines)

Then, depending on your situation and physical health, sprint 100 yards and back or do jumping jacks or push-ups, or whatever you do to get your heartrate up.

Then shoot the exact same string (at the same speed) that you just completed.

Compare your results. Wow pretty big difference isn't it.

By practicing this drill often may serve to put rounds on target when they are needed most.

Sorry for the rant.

Chris (NRA instructor, Pistol instructor, NC CCH instructor, CCH certified, FFL pending) thought I'd share.

Open carry on a motorcycle used to be a common sight in Arizona 10 years ago. Usually a h*rley d*vidson-type rider. Was shocked the first time I saw it. Anyone who saw that gave the rider a respectful wide berth. Open carry is still legal in AZ but since concealed carry law went into effect in the mid 90's it is much less common. With the influx of wrong-thinking people from other states, you are much more likely to have someone call the police on you if you walk into a business or down the street carrying openly (in a belt-holster, which is the definition of legal open carry in AZ)

IM ALSO LEFT HANDED AND I CARRY A GLOCK 23 .4O CAL I USE A INSIDE THE PANTS HOLSTER AND IT WORKS FINE FOR ME JUST TIGHTEN UP THE BELT A LITTLE MORE THAN USUAL SO WHEN IM SLOUTCHED OVER DONT GO FLYING OUT AND HIT THE OBJECT BEHIND ME I COULD SEE THAT ON THE NEWS, BUSA RIDER'S GUN FLIES OUT AND INSTEAD OF SHOOTING IT GOES THROUGH THE WINDOW AND KILLS THE PERSON DRIVING THAT WOULD SUCK, KEEP THE BELT TIGHT AND ALWAYS CHECK WHEN RIDING MAKE SURE ITS IN THERE GOOD. I NEVER RIDE WITHOUT MINE TOO MANY CRAZY PEOPLE OUT THERE JACKING/STEALING THESE DAYS, AND RIDE SAFE

BUT NOBODY... NOT EVEN THE CRACKHEAD, MESSES WITH A DUDE WHO IS OBVIOUSLY STRAPPED!!!! When was the last time you heard of a beat COP in uniform getting mugged?

In full uniform, getting out of a marked police vehicle, a drunk, coke snorting, marijuana smoking ####### not only pulled a gun on me but also pointed at me. Yes I shot the bastard.

Back