How do you "adjust" a chain?

umairhashmi

Registered
Sorry for the silly post guys.But i dunno how to do it.Shes got 1200 miles on her so i guess it needs to be done.I have gotten the 600 mile oil change already done and dont wanna wait till the 1500 to get the chain adjusted.Better do it myself.But how???

With over 10,500 miles on my stock chain I use this lil baby.  Just get the proper slack you want and move ova to da otherside to measure.

DSC02611.jpg

First look at your rear axle
tounge.gif
, you'll see the axle in a little box type thing. Toward the front you'll see a threaded screw with one bolt head and one screw on it. Look at it
smileyexhibit.gif
and try to understand what it does ! The nut is adjustable, this is the one you unscrew to move the axle back to tighten the chain when you turn the  bolt which ever way is needed. You will also notice notches in rear swing arm area. Count them when the chain is at the right tightness. Then MAKE SURE
umnik.gif
the  opposite side has the EXACT amount of cuts showing. If you don't do this, you'll wear out the sprocket and tire REAL FAST
wow.gif
!! The chain should have .8 to 1.2 " slack in it. Measured with the lower portion of the chain and in the middle from the front sprocket to the rear sprocket. Here, close is good enough as far as where you measure. 1/4" off isn't going to mean much
idea.gif

And by the way, this is in your OWNERS MANUAL, which you really should get to know REAL WELL so you can do the min maintance and repair. Or just check stuff, makes riding ALOT more fun . Even better, get a MAINTANCE Manual. It's got Everything you want to and don't want to know
laugh.gif

Hay, you can do this, it's real easy  
40__s.gif

Okay how often should this be done? seriously im really retarded when it comes to mechanical stuff.I pay 70 bucks for my oil changes.Lol maybe some can do this for me for a few bucks too
smile.gif

(umairhashmi @ Mar. 27 2006,17:47) Okay how often should this be done? seriously im really retarded when it comes to mechanical stuff.I pay 70 bucks for my oil changes.Lol maybe some can do this for me for a few bucks too
smile.gif
Changing oil is simple, learn how to do it and save the extra money for your mods.
super.gif

You might need to check that chain again; it's been a year and a half since you posted
all_coholic.gif

Back