how do the busa handle track days?

Tempe_Ty

Registered
i'm looking at buying a new bike in "06". the busa is one of my choices i love the power the looks and all that. i've ridden one around the block and opened it up some but that was just a joy ride. i like to know how the beast does taking corners or everyday driving. or is it just a straight line built for a dragstrip type of bike?

do a search for member/justintime he gets it done! hes got a video of a track day on one of his posts ! few other members have lots of tracktime also ! sombody will post up i will look for that video:D

if you can ride its fine. if you cant get a literbike!!they come out of corners nice. but cant carry as much speed as the 1k into curve.if your a street rider, busa!! if you do alot of track days theres better rides!!

scroll down to the bottom and click on jt2 and the busa

<!--EDIT|johnstein
Reason for Edit: None given...|1130903027 -->

I do about 4 trackdays a summer on my stock busa. there's much better bikes for track riding [learning] but it's just a "just for fun" thing for me. it's fast on the straits and heavy to slowdown in the corners. the stock suspension setup bobbles about a lot coming out of corners [or my technique sucks!] but tightening it up helps loads. I think the busa can limit your potential track riding skills - busa not made for thes tracks, tracks not made for the busa - but it's STILL the best rush on a bike I know of... other than that uber high speed thang....
smile.gif

In MY humble opinion, the busa covers the MOST territory for the money: highest speeds, touring, two-up, cruising, commuting, drag stip, track day, anything else I can throw at it and do! the rest of the bikes came up short on one thing or another that was important to me. I think the busa turns just fine, handles wonderfully, but I've never had one of those tiny plastic toy liter bieks to compare. I KNOW it's heavier, but I just don't FEEL it. decide HOW you want to ride, then buy the bike that fits. if you want the ability to do EVERYTHING anytime, anywhere, get a busa.

here's a snap from my last track day with ZERO LEAN thank you very little. I was knee dragging all day but the only photos they got of me was the very first warm up lap in the morning :p

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1130904502 -->

TA05_MAM1017_097.jpg

here's a snap from my last track day with ZERO LEAN thank you very little.  I was knee dragging all day but the only photos they got of me was the very first warm up lap in the morning  :p
SHHHAAAAuuuuuuuuuuureee!

we believe that....

haha.. just kiddin.. I feel your pain everytime I look at trackday pics..

it's always..

"Damnit!! I was draggin, knees, elbows, pegs, and mufflers... where is that shot?"

When I crash at the track I'm sure they will get it all in beautiful full color perfection.. right down to the girle squeeling look on my face as I tumble. ]

About tracking the 'busa.. ehh.. it's fun.. but its a HELL of a lot harder than a lighter bike..

spend all of your mod money on making the brakes better and it will be more fun though..

it just don't wanna slow down as fast as it speeds up.

other than that.. it's great for everything.

VIR_BUSA_SMALLDSC_4574.jpg

I agree with most of these guys! The busa may be the best all around bike on the market. It does everything well and some things exceptionally well. The busa is a fun bike on the track but not nearly as fast as it's smaller brethern. A decent rider on a 600 will kick a good riders buns on a busa. It's just to dang big and heavy and the plastic drags before you reach the full potential lean angle. If you want the most fun for your buck on the track and you've never been, get yourself a 600 and have a blast. You'll build your skill level much faster than on a bigger bike. However, if you want an everyday street bike that you can have tons of fun with, a busa may just be the ticket?

here's a snap from my last track day with ZERO LEAN thank you very little.  I was knee dragging all day but the only photos they got of me was the very first warm up lap in the morning  :p
SHHHAAAAuuuuuuuuuuureee!

we believe that....

haha..  just kiddin.. I feel your pain everytime I look at trackday pics..

it's always..

"Damnit!! I was draggin, knees, elbows, pegs, and mufflers... where is that shot?"

When I crash at the track I'm sure they will get it all in beautiful full color perfection.. right down to the girle squeeling look on my face as I tumble. ]

About tracking the 'busa.. ehh.. it's fun.. but its a HELL of a lot harder than a lighter bike..

spend all of your mod money on making the brakes better and it will be more fun though..

it just don't wanna slow down as fast as it speeds up.

other than that.. it's great for everything.
Nice lookin pic EGO!
thumbs-up.gif

That video is cool justine, the hmf's are sweet looking in the race enviroment.:)

The Busa is a "good" track day bike, but as said before, there are better bikes if you're going to do a LOT of trackdays.

Yes, the Busa WILL corner. Just tune the suspension and upgrade the brakes for the best performance.

ps_dsc_442693.jpg

I need to go to a track day again. The last time I went was on a Katana 600 with crappy tires (and a bike not meant for the track). But it was a blast. This spring can't come soon enough. Putnam Park Road Course here I come!

Best things for the track days are older 600 or 750. Keep the busa safe for the street riding. The busa is great on those long rides too. I agree with what everyone has said for the most part, its just to heavy and for being a real track bike.

If you add the following you will have a great time at the track: Rear shock (Penske was my choice, it raised the rear an inch as well as brought it in inch; shorter wheel base), Lindemen rebuilt front shocks and 1.15 springs, better brakes (I went with wave rotors and ebc centered hh pads front and back), steel lines and went with a 180 on the rear (Pilot Powers). total investment about $2700 but I had to re learn how to ride my bike and I'm never going back to a 190 on the rear again. Also changing your exhaust will help with clearance. Hope that this helps.

If you raise the rear +1 inch the corning will be even more so better. Helping out with the clearance problem aswell.

MF1A6666.JPG

My first track day on the Busa. The first of many more to come!

A few tips on how to make the Busa a more "track friendly" bike (what I did to mine)

first things first.... heavier fork springs if you weigh more than 170lbs. Go to Race Tech's website and find the right spring for your size and order them ASAP! You may want to put Race Tech's gold valves in your forks while your at it. (and if your a chunky butt like me, get a haevier shock spring) DO NOT FORGET TO SET YOUR PROPER SAG!

next...Brakes. The Busa's stock brakes are it's weak link. At the bare minimum get stainless steel lines for the front and HH pads. Those will make your Busa's brakes 110% better. I went a little further and invested in EBC Pro-Lite "Contour" rotors and Pazzo racing levers.

next..lower the front and raise the rear. 1" raising dogbones and a billet triple clamp will give the Busa the right "attitude" for the track. The Busa in stock form sits very level, almost ass low. Great for top speed runs, but bad for turning. Raise the rear 1" while dropping the front 3/4"-1" will make a HUGE difference in how the big bike will want to turn (and that's a good thing)

next... all the misc. parts you'll want to get. Single sided exhaust. Improve power, lose weight and gain ground clearance. A MUST if you ask me. A billet stator cover. Because the stock stator cover will crack and leak from just a tip over in the drive way or a fall from the loading ramp. Frame sliders. You want to keep the bodywork and frame off the asphalt at all times. Rearsets, not absolutley nessecary but very well worth it. I use adj. Votex billet rear sets. A Power commander to smooth out the power delivery after that new exhaust is installed.

and last but certainly not least.. tires. Ditch the stock BT56J's and get a good sticky tire with a track profile. Michelen Pilot Powers are GREAT tires.

The Busa is a VERY underestamated canyon carver. Everyone thinks of it as a straight liner, but it's great to see the faces of the 600/750/liter bike guys when the can't shake you in the twisties (or when you pass them in a corner)...priceless.

My advice...BUY THE BUSA!!! you wont be dissapointed.

Back