How do lock your BUSA?

1127 TO 1299

Registered
I had my busa stolen last september.
It was parked outside in a perking lot in front of my car.
Heavy gauge chain from the rear wheel to a tree and a disk lock in the front.
I woke up one morning and look down from my apartment window and saw my motorcycle cover laying flat on the ground. First I tought the bike fell. But it didn't...it was gone.
Finally the police found the bike 3 days later, in bad shape.
The front disk lock was still on the bike which let me think that they cut the chain and lifted the bike in the back of a pickup truck. I also think that thay didn't see the lock cuz the calliper was broke like if they tried to roll the bike and the disk lock went bagging in the calliper.
Disk was warp and all the plastic was scratch.
I was insured, thank god.
It cost 5900 to fix.
I just bought a Kryptonite chain (model NYC fahgetaboutit)
Hope it is bulletproof.
I also think I shoud get an alarm. But one thing is that it is really windy where my bike is parked and I don't want the alarm to go off all the time but sensible enough to sound when needed.

Anyone has any recommendations?

Thanks

Richard

In my showroom (alarmed/video monitors) or in my garage (close proximity to a 6'4" man with a Glock). People who steal other peoples stuff really piss me off.

I like your avatar....it makes me smile.

Tim

I was just reading about one of your new chains beig cut, so keep and eye out. There is a thing that is basically unbeatable and its home made, I will try to find it.

Give me a minute.

ABUS!
smile.gif

i don't mess around anymore. 50 cal

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1076098412 -->

50_cal.jpg

those little lockable wheel chocks don't help someone lifting the bike into a truck...
rock.gif

i don't mess around anymore.
You know, there's an 8-shot S&W .357 wheelgun these days. Who woulda thunk?

...Anyway...

Theft is funny because one is inclined to think that a strategy works if their bike is never stolen and it may just be they were lucky. If a thief has a bottlejack and/or a portable grinder at their disposal no hardware solutions will work, especially if the thief is able to cover their work from public view for any length of time.

OTOH, it can't hurt, right?

There's always that class of thief that just has (at most) a set of big bolt cutters and a couple of big pals to lift the bike into a truck. For them, a NYC (ok), ASUS (better), or armored cable (ok) will do. The biggest problem I have at home is that there's nothing sturdy near where I store my bike to chain to -- heavy long chains or armored cables are VERY expensive.

However, with the luck factor in mind, I tend to think visibility is an important issue -- or rather, the lack of it.

My cycleshell only hints that there is a motorcycle in there at all, let alone what kind it is, and it's pretty unobtrusive from the road at night. As a result, nobody (hardly) ever sees a motorcycle in the open anywhere near my house. To back that up, however, I do have a long chain running underneath the shell to the bike so that it's only apparent the bike is secured once the shell is opened. Lastly, I have a Xena disc lock/alarm, which is nicely portable.

The chain I use at home is coated with blaze PVC, so I don't ever forget it's there and it doesn't scratch my rims. It's not the toughest chain out there, however. At the office, I rely on a NYC noose and NYC disc lock latched to the swingarm and the Xena on the front disc. Pretty secure, by a casual thief's standards, anyway. If anyone knew about my bike and WANTED it, however, it wouldn't be that hard to take.

Since I ride every day I need a security solution that is as convenient as it can be and doable in cold/heat/etc., so doing two locks in the morning at at night is about it. Much more than than and I probably would slack off, and then my luck would run out. I do want to put in a word for the newer Xena locks with the thick (14mm) pins and SS body -- pretty tough, sensitive enough so that if the bike is righted from the side stand it will go off, and loud.

<!--EDIT|mcoyote
Reason for Edit: "Fergot stuff"|1076093638 -->

Best advice I have is find someplace to park it indoors, in a garage first, but in a living room if need be... Especially when bike theft is as high as it is in some areas. Do whatever you can to get it indoors.

Best advice I have is find someplace to park it indoors, in a garage first, but in a living room if need be...  Especially when bike theft is as high as it is in some areas.  Do whatever you can to get it indoors.
uhhh.. hows the dining room? With a disc lock.

I will not go to a hotel that I can not drive the bike in the room. The flip side is I will not go to a hotel tha does not have front door parking with Valet that can watch the bike.

My bike always was under a cover
people knew there was a motorcycle but could tell what it was.
Next summer, I'll put it close to the buiding entrance where ther is more circulation.
I my building there are people coming in and out almost 24 hrs a day.

To make a long story short, my bike was still registered in canada ( i live in jersey city) and was also insured in canada.
When I got the bike stolen they try to tell me that they could cover me becauz I was in the state but the had a note in their file so the had to cover me,
After they paid me for the repairs, they told me they won't insure me if I kept the bike in the US so I told them what if I bring it in the states only 3-4 months of the years. They said we will check.
I brought the bike up on very cold weekend and when I came back here, they told me that they will not be covering me anymore.
If I knew that in advance I would have never risk my life like that (driving in the snow pratically).
Damn it was cold.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Anyway, either I find another Canadian company that will cover me here in the States (for 700 CDN/Year) or have the biekregistered in the states with american insurance.
I got a quote from Rider --- 1800/year,
I should call Amica my car insurance.

mad.gif

mad.gif

btw
I dream of being able to park her in my apartment.
Maybe I should move in a warehouse with a freight.
That would be awesome

Back