How do I ship to an APO, military address?

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
Well, Nick7 needed some stock pipes for his bike to pass inspection and I happen to have some for him. He sent me his shipping address and I plugged it into UPS.com to get a shipping quote, well kinda. I clearly dont understand APO's. Any idea how much it would cost to ship from NY to Germany? Its a pretty big box, whole stock exhaust system weighing about 36lbs.
Ill probly just go to UPS and hand it to them with the address, "Ship this" Im just trying to get em shipped out quick and get Nick7 a quote on the shipping cost.

Its just like shipping here in the us, its just that its over seas. The best bet is to take it usps or ups and have them weight it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, Nick7 needed some stock pipes for his bike to pass inspection and I happen to have some for him. He sent me his shipping address and I plugged it into UPS.com to get a shipping quote, well kinda. I clearly dont understand APO's. Any idea how much it would cost to ship from NY to Germany? Its a pretty big box, whole stock exhaust system weighing about 36lbs.
Ill probly just go to UPS and hand it to them with the address, "Ship this" Im just trying to get em shipped out quick and get Nick7 a quote on the shipping cost.

The thing about UPS is Volume, they check the overall area and the weight, it is really not that bad in the long run. 36lbs is not too heavy, but the length may give you a little Extra $$.
Since this is for a fellow member and a service person, I would personally chip in for the cost of shipping.
PM me if you wish.
Bubba

Last edited:
Its just like shipping here in the us, its just that its over seas. The best bet is to take it usps or ups and have them weight it.
Posted via Mobile Device

+1

When stationed in Germany we had stuff shipped in and out a lot, it's the same as shipping within the US. Just put the address on the box and take it to your friendly USPS clerk. Let them handle the rest.

I recommend tha you simply send it USPS priority; do not pa extra for express or overnight. Simply write the ady on the box and take it to the post office. UPS/FEDEX and overnight only get it o the closest hub; then it will still have to make its way to him - mail it, you'll be fine!

AA : Miami, FL for the Americas
AE : New York, NY for Europe
AP : San Francisco. CA. for Pacific

Reason why APO/FPO mail rates is like a US-based address: mail goes to above HUBS first before it moves on to its actual overseas destination.

APO is the city and AE is the state and the zip is the zip... It is confusing because once it gets to the hub the military takes it over. Thanks for offering to chip in bubba! This nice weather is killing me not being able to ride!

do not use UPS. It will cost you at least 500 bucks .
Use Usps and ship it EXPRESS MAIL INTERNATIONAL .
If you use priority mail once it leaves this country it will be diff to track .
Express is also much quicker but not that much more exp .

I just did a quick quote on USPS shipping a 50lb box from Florida to Germany will cost
$233.68 for Express Intl .
$168.58 for priority mail .
Trust me the extra fifty bucks will be worth it cuz you will get detailed tracking all the way thru .
Let me know if you need help

Shipping things overseas can get a bit expensive !

I offer logistics services to the govt and ship Intl regularly .
You can try another carrier like LTC but for peace of mind and only one item prolly best to use the post office .

Saiid
www.AdamContractingandTrading.com

Last edited:
If the base is a remote FOB it would also be best to make sure the package doesn't have weird dimensions. The guys that go pick up the mail at another base and bring it to their base sometimes only have limited space so they grab what they can fit in the truck easy sometimes. I had to wait 2 months for a package once!

Just did another quick quote on USPS.
From zip code 10007 new York city a 40 lb box should cost
209.90 for express mail Intl .
192.28 if paid online .

In like five minutes you can activate an Acct on USPS .
Do all online , save a few bucks and schedule it to be picked up for free.
Never leave your home .
Best way

Express mail Intl it will be there in 5 days .
I shipped Puggle cookies to Australia and they were there in 4 .

To be on the safe side I would just take it to a UPS store and have them fill everything out. When I was in Australia awhile back I had to have my mom send me some things. When she dropped it off at the store, they said it would take 3 days to get there. 2 days later she got a call that the address was wrong and it didn't ship. She had to pay the extra money to get it shipped to me in 2 days. She was not happy that the person she originally gave the box to did not check the address.

Okay, I went to Fedex before I read the 4th post and there after. They said $375 to ship it, WOW!! What would you like me to do Nick? Pm sent

Thanks for all the info guys, Im trying to get this out ASAP to get Nick riding again.

I'm still confused as to how others say you dont have to ship intl ?
Rarely do I ship this small of a lot but my biz is intl logisitcs and finance.

Maybe MC can chime back in and explain as all I have ever shipped to APOs were labeled Intl and paid for accordingly .
Guess maybe for small boxes or sumthin they give you a break for APOs ?

USPS will be much cheaper than fedex.

Like I said with a credit card you can establish and acct online is two mins.
Print all forms needed and have it picked up.
Only thing you will need is a customs envelope to stick labels in .
This is just a simple clear envelope you stick on side of box.
3 labels will print. You keep senders copy.
Sign both others by your printed name. Stick em in envelope.
Stick it on box and schedule pickup at your home or office.
Done.

Last edited:
Back