How do I remove the fuel tank on an 09? For powder coating

Matte_Black

Registered
Well I have to send my fairings and my tank to the powder coat guy for painting. Those dam decals on the tank have to be sanded off as they are under the clear coat @#*@*# (had to vent)! How do I remove the tank? I searched but could not find a how to for fuel tank removal for the genII (09)
Anybody knows of one or maybe someone could post one (pictures would be great)? :bowdown::bowdown:

You don't wanta Powdercoat the tank:banghead:....you wanta paint the tank, right?:thumbsup:

Talk to me Skeche, is there something i'm missing here. I'm changing the colour of the bike the dude at the shop whos doing the job has no storage space for my bike so I got to remove the fairings and the tank, did I use the wrong terminology? powdercoat is for metal paint is for other stuff? Talk to me bro. All I know is I got to remove the tank

Powdercoat is for small metal accessories or maybe big ones like pegsets and things.
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone powdercoating a tank. Something that large I'd think would require it to be painted so you get a nice smooth even glossy finish on it.

To take tank off.
Remove two bolts under operator seat. 5mm Allen head I think, one on each side.
Remove seat. Remove two screws on steering neck, front of tank. BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP EITHER THE BOLT OR WASHER WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OUT. (took me an hour to find a washer one time, fell into the void and was gone!)
After taking out two screws up front take out prop rid from inside tail section, lift tank and use prop rod to hold it up. Stick the angled portion of rod in steering stem hole and use the other end with stamped flats on it to go into one of the screw holes on front of tank. With tank propped you now need to unclip fuel lines. Set a towel inside under fuel lines before you disconnect them to soak up little amount of spill. Once lines are disconnected lower tank back down. Go to back of tank. There is a long single screw going thru a bracket. You want to remove the screws holding that bracket not the single bolt. After you do that lift complete tank off.

Im guessing you will still have to remove fuel pump and remaining gas, not sure?
I'm pretty sure you can paint it with pump still in it but if you do powdercoat it you will have to remove fuel pump to protect gaskets from melting in the bake and the gas of course will have to come out to prevent explosion.

Powdercoat is for small metal accessories or maybe big ones like pegsets and things.
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone powdercoating a tank. Something that large I'd think would require it to be painted so you get a nice smooth even glossy finish on it.

To take tank off.
Remove two bolts under operator seat. 5mm Allen head I think, one on each side.
Remove seat. Remove two screws on steering neck, front of tank. BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP EITHER THE BOLT OR WASHER WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OUT. (took me an hour to find a washer one time, fell into the void and was gone!)
After taking out two screws up front take out prop rid from inside tail section, lift tank and use prop rod to hold it up. Stick the angled portion of rod in steering stem hole and use the other end with stamped flats on it to go into one of the screw holes on front of tank. With tank propped you now need to unclip fuel lines. Set a towel inside under fuel lines before you disconnect them to soak up little amount of spill. Once lines are disconnected lower tank back down. Go to back of tank. There is a long single screw going thru a bracket. You want to remove the screws holding that bracket not the single bolt. After you do that lift complete tank off.

Im guessing you will still have to remove fuel pump and remaining gas, not sure?
I'm pretty sure you can paint it with pump still in it but if you do powdercoat it you will have to remove fuel pump to protect gaskets from melting in the bake and the gas of course will have to come out to prevent explosion.

^^^what Blanca Busa said^^^, trust us...

i'm not saying it cant be done, :director: but you just dont POWDERCOAT the TANK, who does that!:nono:

So you haven't seen it done, it's not uncommon.
Not everyone wants an expensive flashy paintjob.
The local powdercoater where I live has done quite a few gas tanks, and they look very good.

So you haven't seen it done, it's not uncommon.
Not everyone wants an expensive flashy paintjob.
The local powdercoater where I live has done quite a few gas tanks, and they look very good.

I think I'd still rather have a nice matte paint on it, just me.
Not to mention the three pounds of material it would add to it.
That extra weight may cause you to get beat by a Zx14 :laugh:

I think I'd still rather have a nice matte paint on it, just me.
Not to mention the three pounds of material it would add to it.
That extra weight may cause you to get beat by a Zx14 :laugh:

I'm not pushing either way, even though painting a tank is alot more common.
Powder coating is much cheaper though and is a very tough finish.
The local powdercoater here has a wall of various old parts powdercoated in a variety of colors, and a few that look like expensive paint.
For someone looking for a solid colored tank it works great. A good pc gloss black looks like a mirrored finish, or as good as painted gloss black with several coats of clear, and it's hard to tell them apart.
I know very little about paint or powdercoat, but I have friends that do both.
From looking at the pc finishes compared to paint, it's as good a look for alot cheaper price(solid colors only of course).
You need to make sure all the parts are off and out of the tank so it can be baked, but if you can do that and are already going to the powdercoater; Why not?
That's assuming the powder coater is skilled and using quality products too.:beerchug:

Yyyyyyyyep!

you're+old+cake.jpg

Back