How do I remove color rite touch-up?

SilverK2

Registered
Had a few scratches on my '02 silver / grey from a minor tip in the driveway and ordered color rite touch up pens. The YM6 (grey) matched very well. The YD8 (silver), however, was way too light. Those spots look worse than the scratches now!

Anyone have any tips / tricks for removing touch-up paint? I haven't cleared over it yet.

Thanks.

Drop it again just like you did last time.

I don't know if it's the same as touch up for a car but I use polish compound if I don't like the way car touch up looks.

ices_rofl.gif

I answered your post on sh.org as well...

gasoline will take it off and leave the factory paint in tact... Had someone spray paint hte back of our cars one night and the officer told us that gasoline would do the trick... It did...
biggrin.gif

I have done quite a bit of touch-up work before (my bike and several of my friends as well as my car), let me give you what worked for me.  Use a can of WD-40 and a Clear coat safe cloth (Autozone) with microfibers, otherwise you could damage the paint with fine scratches.  Use a circular motion like when waxing and not only will the touch-up disappear but also blend in at the same time.  Good luck.

<!--EDIT|Youkai
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124492421 -->

I don't know if it's the same as touch up for a car but I use polish compound if I don't like the way car touch up looks.
Oh.... so harsh!
laugh.gif

And like another posted stated about gasoline, it does work. Just dont be smokin when youre doing it.
wow.gif

Had a few scratches on my '02 silver / grey from a minor tip in the driveway and ordered color rite touch up pens.  The YM6 (grey) matched very well.  The YD8 (silver), however, was way too light.  Those spots look worse than the scratches now!

Anyone have any tips / tricks for removing touch-up paint?  I haven't cleared over it yet.

Thanks.
Don,t try to remove you will make it worse. get the right color from a pro paint shop. Then use a very very very fine brush or tooth pick and go over the spots that are to light. let the light stuff serve as your undercoat.

Bro get you some PreP Sol and take it off....I paint all the time thats the safe way....if you know how to use reducer you can take it off and not harm the clearcoat....

Thanks for the feedback. I tried both laq thinner and "Goof Off". Both seemed to work equally well. The trick is to soak a Q-tip in the solvent and then dab or roll the touch-up spot only. Paint will transfer to the Q-tip, then dry the area so as not to leave thinner on the OEM paint. I then washed the area right away with regular dish soap / water.

Worked great! But now I'm back to my original scratches - not great.

Maybe I'll try the WD-40 "blend" method on the lighter scratches...

I've concluded that touch-up paint is a pain in the ass. No matter how close the color matches, or how carefully you put it on, it still looks like crap (saw it in the sunlight today).

I feel the same way about painting in my house. Do the whole wall, or don't bother.

So, anyone ever have their entire side panel repainted (both colors) and put on a new decal? How much for the whole thing, and how did it turn out?

Not sure I can suck it up and pay $400 for new plastic, so I guess I'm officially in the market for a used '02 silver/grey side panel (with no scratches of course). Anyone looking to sell please PM me...

EZ-Off oven cleaner on a Q-tip. Let it sit on the paint for a couple minutes and the fresh stuff will bubble off leaving the factory paint untouched.

Viola!
smile.gif

Back