How comfy is your original seat

snapperhead

Registered
When I first got the bike I could easily ride 6-8 hours no problems, but now I can only ride for an hour and Im in big pain. Ive lost lots of weight since the crash, and Im sure its because I dont have the natural comfort padding anymore.

How do you lot find standard seats for comfort ?

I have got some various pieces of foam and Im going to try and see if I can make it comfy again, has anyone had a go at modifying their seat and what were the results ?

My friend and I both have 08's, but strangely his stock seat always was and is very soft and comfortable. My stock seat was very hard and uncomfortable, it never broke in. I got rid of it.

I bought a gel seat next, I thought it was worse. I removed the cover and trimmed some foam, it was better, but not enough. If you want to try reshaping or adding foam it's pretty simple. Pop out the old staples, trim with a razor and or add foam. The gel seat had a pocket cut out and the gel pad set in place. You can cut out and do the same to the stock seat. The cover goes back on easily and staples in place, good as new. If you have some foam and the motivation, go for it.:thumbsup:

mine is great after i gutted my stock 08' seat and dropped a 6x12" gel insert in that i nabbed off of ebay for about $35. 3m glue spray, electric knife, 3m foam shaver, and a staple gun is all you need. now the rump is cozy and i sit more into the bike than on top of it. :thumbsup:

ditched my stocker about a month after buying my 08 brand new. Went with tobin/new image and am nothing but happy with it. I'm 6'1" 185lbs and it is very comfortable for me on long rides. Corbin is also a great seat, thought about trying one out but i'm happy with my new image seat

the stock seat is fine with me, put about 55,000 miles on it so far...however, i haven't lost a lot of weight so my "natural padding" may help :laugh:

I put on a tobin shortly after getting my 06 and that is what I am used to. If I ride one with a stock seat, it's like I am riding on top of the bike.

It is just what you get used to I guess.

I didn't like the stock seats at all. I had New Image Seats do this for me:
busaseats.jpg

Far more comfortable and the embroidery is cool too.

Good info as usual.

Does that upstand at the back of the seat support you Erebus ? I have noticed there is lots of room on the seat to slide back and it looks like it would help "lock" you in position, and help with load distribution. Mine is now a single seater so no need for doing a rear.

Just need an electric knife and Im good to give this a go, I miss riding and Im very keen to get out on a decently long fang

Try changing your riding style before changing the seat, ride on the balls of your feet, this engages your leg muscles, stomach muscles, and back muscles......which in turn take weight off your butt and hands. If your legs are too long get some GP alum pegs which will give you more leg room. Sometimes the problem is not the bike......Kieth:cheerleader:

I couldnt deal with my stock seat. So I went with a Corbin. That Didn't work out either. Now i have a Gel and my butts happy :beerchug:

i like the stock seat, being 6'4" tall i think getting a custom seat would hinder me from tucking behind the bike properly, but i am looking into getting a seat cover to spice things up.

Back