How can I keep the front end down?

71olds

Registered
Gen 1 Stock wheelbase -2 front sprocket full exhaust & pc

I can not get to WOT in 1st at 7500rpm the front starts to climb & by 10k
its 3 feet in the air.

I am leaned as far forward as I can go 5'11 225lbs so not a small guy by any means.

So I have been short shifting at 8k in 1st go back to stock front sprocket? will that keep it down? I dont want to stretch. Or just short shift as it is the nature of the beast?

The -2 front gear is surely contributing to the lift. lowering the front will help some and playing with the shock adjustments will also help.

Nope. I don't track. However, the brich is heavy and installed in front of the engine, add to that a sharp lean forward.....................

Lower, and strap the front but if you dont want to strech you might need some bars like they stated already. I had mine stretch, lowered and with -1 teeth on front mine still wanted to go up, so i could imagine -2 teeth.

Lower, and strap the front but if you dont want to strech you might need some bars like they stated already. I had mine stretch, lowered and with -1 teeth on front mine still wanted to go up, so i could imagine -2 teeth.

He says he doesn't do track so I am guessing it he's gripping an ripping on the streets. You can't drive around with those straps always on can you ??? I mean if you are commuting and doing twisties with it also straps wouldn't be an option to leave on all the time right ???

Last edited:
Try lowering your bike. I dropped mine 1" front and read and it was rock solid. And that was with a -1 +2 sprocket conversion.

He says he doesn't do track so I am guessing it he's gripping an ripping on the streets. You can't drive around with those straps always on can you ??? I mean if you are commuting and doing twisties with it also straps wouldn't be an option to leave on all the time right ???

Correct, straps are only recomended for the track, its very hard to turn when the bike its strap down. But Im thinking that he is talking about the track ???
Aussiekeeper is the one that say that he don't track but I think that 71olds does.

Last edited:
your shock is everything spend the money and see the results, also the brocks brick helps alot too...I had a stock w/b bike and got 1.5's all day. I weight 165 and at my weight it was even harder. When you go just work on your 60ft. don't run your bike out the end, hard work does pay off...hope the helps

Hell....IM lower 2 inch AND strap the front, stretched 7 over, and still wants to lift sometimes at top of 1st......:whistle:
But thats boost spike:thumbsup:

IF and only IF at the trac...strap the front down 90% ( not rock solid, just incase you still come up...bad to slam it down strapped solid ). KEY thing is, your on a BUSA and the power does as power wants.

I used a strap, Brocks brick, and a lead filled front axle on my bike @ stock wheelbase.
(I ran the brick and axle on the street.)

Launched correctly mine would skim the front through 1st and most of 2nd gear.

You are in the ballpark the gearing setup on my bike. I ran a 16/42 or 16/43.

You might want to get someone to film the bike on launch. If it it dropping too far in the rear, you change the angle on the swingarm enough that it can contribute to the problem.

I"ll try this agian, this one definitely stays down

dragonbusa at jackson.jpg

Last edited:
I have not gone to the track yet (just bought the bike 2 weeks ago) I will go to the track as honestly she is just too fast to use all the power on the street.
But just trying to get used to the bike & what the limits are of traction & lift.

The brocks block sounds interesting does it affect day to day handling in the twisties more then the benifit of keeping the front down.

Back