How big is the oil spill? See for yourself.

Everyone thinks it's so bad now....wait til a hurricane churns in the gulf....BP had better figure something out quick because it's only a matter of a few days now before the season kicks off and there's always tropical activity in the gulf.

our coast will be a waste land. It will probably get the east coast also.
I don't think every has realized the scope of this disaster.

wow a hurricane with a downpour of oil rain. awesome for wherever that hits.

and make the size of the spill even worse

OMG....i heard over a week back that local folks and volunteers doing the clean-up are already suffering respiratory issues...the air/fumes is giving a burning sensation in their throats and lungs..hot...humid...semi-tropical...steamy...aromatic oil filled air...and lookin like it's gonna turn all the gulf coast shoreline into one huge lebrea tar pit...yuk...

talk about taking a hot steamy shid in yer own bowl of cheerios?..

man?..we've got burned...by one greedy azz oil corporation who doesn't seem to be too concerned that they may very well have just destroyed the oceans of the world...for all mankind...and they're doin what about it?...besides taking their sweet azz time?

man-o-man.

sad. Bill. :cool:

Certainly puts things in perspective.

Pretty incredible.

watching cnn now...sounds lke this event is going to turn the entire southeast/gulf coastline into a wasteland...and we're just now getting an extremely small taste of what this reality horror show has yet to bring us..imho?..the short and long term damage will be of "Biblical" proportions.

and all outta mans greed...so sad. :banghead:

Yes, it's bad. Very bad. But don't for a moment think that this was all done for FUN. We NEED the oil. BP was fulfilling a NEED by drilling there. BP wasn't drilling in deep water for kicks, it was doing it because that's where the Oil IS. Everyone is expressing outrage, but seems to have forgot the reason they were out there drilling in the first place. BP wants this stopped as bad as JohnQPublic, because they know it's a) gonna cost them a boatload and b) It's going to restrict them from future extraction. It's gonna get worse before it gets better, but EVENTUALLY it WILL GET BETTER.

Keith your right. Much as it is the case with folks emotions, this is not a political issue and EVERYONE wants this cleaned up / stopped. I dont know what I find more entertaining, the Bush / Obama / Katrina / Oil Leak BS flying around or the people in MO or other states that are two days drive from the Gulf getting all lathered up about it because of what they saw on Good Morning America....:moon:

We have to have oil so we either have to buy it from bad people or drill it ourselves - we do both and both come with risks.

I sort of liken this to motorcycle riding. It is VERY risky, gravely so and we dont HAVE to do it. But we accept the risks and we go do it.
We do not HAVE to have oil, we could all ride electric vehicles, bicycles, horses or burros, but instead we consume oil products, and we accept the risks, and as we can see, those risks can be pretty grave too...

To the original poster, at 12 gallons per second leaking, yea..... its pretty big and needs to be stopped:please:

It's just wild to see how big it is compared to your own city. From my house it stretches north past Nashville, Tn and South several counties away. I think what bother's people the most is the amount of time it's taken to stop the flow. I mean really. As big as BP is and as long as they have been doing this, surely they had to consider the "what if" factor. It's just crazy to drill that deep in a ocean and hope nothing ever goes wrong without having a swift back up plan to correct it when it does.

The backup plan was the blowout preventer...so this is really plan C,D,E, etc....

As much as I'd really like to place blame on Obama for it, I can't. Not his or anyone's 'fault' (why is it that someone's always gotta be at 'fault', other than to assess damages for lawsuits?); Sometimes crap happens. The real test is how WE (the public, the government, BP) deal with it, instead of sitting around armchair quarterbacking, pinning blame, demanding compensation, etc...our recent experience with flooding here in Nashville as an example. Placing blame etc. comes later, right now everyone needs to work together to FIX IT

Last edited:
It's just wild to see how big it is compared to your own city. From my house it stretches north past Nashville, Tn and South several counties away. I think what bother's people the most is the amount of time it's taken to stop the flow. I mean really. As big as BP is and as long as they have been doing this, surely they had to consider the "what if" factor. It's just crazy to drill that deep in a ocean and hope nothing ever goes wrong without having a swift back up plan to correct it when it does.

Actually for me, my frustration stems from the BILLIONS in PROFIT these oil companies claim to make each year.

Billions in profit and they can't spend that money on several different methods of stopping this gushing plume of oil at once? I hate to say it but throwing money at this situation may not fix it (completely) but it would at least justify the rationale behind pulling those huge profits between disasters.

The ineffective use of those profits is what makes my blood boil. That and the fact that they were trying to cap it off for two weeks so they could continue to draw from the reservoir and thus continue to pull that profit. Despicable.

The BP executive in charge of fighting the spill, Chief Operating Officer Doug Suttles, said he understands the public is frustrated with the response. He told the CBS "Early Show" on Friday that in the worst case scenario, the gusher could continue until early August, when a new well being drilled to cap the flow permanently could be finished.

Back