How bad are your winter riding blues?

jdsbusa

Registered
So I'm sitting here looking out my window and the awesome sunshine going on thinking, wow, what a great day for a ride before work. Just 2 problems, first the streets are covered in snow/ice from the last snow (yesterday) and second, it's a balmy 10 degrees out with a -5 windchill. I start thinking....like the Klondike commercials...what would I do for a ride right now?

Well, I'd lick the chrome of a Harley for ride right now for starters! :laugh:

For the rest of my northern brothers and sisters stuck in this winter wasteland of frozen tundra....what would you do to get out for just an hour's worth of riding right now? ???

Don't post ho, let's see some real creative responses to show these southern folks how much they should appreciate their good grace and fortune with the ability to ride virtually 365 days a year. :thumbsup: Seriously, if anyone can change the weather and has a sporty, glide, ultra....anything HD sitting around they'd like to powdercoat I'm ready to start licking for just one day of high 30's and sunshine!

Rode the bike to work last week (once) and the week before (once). Richmond often has some rideable days in the winter. So I'm not in total withdrawl.

Rode the bike to work last week (once) and the week before (once). Richmond often has some rideable days in the winter. So I'm not in total withdrawl.
Yeah, maybe I should have clarified what "Northern" means. :laugh: Maybe the Mason-Dixon line would be a good start? I'll put it this way, haven't had a decent day of weather here combined with clear roads since oh.....December 3rd I think. So I'm going on almost 2 months of not getting out, and even longer for our friends further north. Sad part is, other org members who live just a couple hundred miles south of me in the same state have overnight low temps 10-20 degrees warmer than the highs in this area. That and they don't get hit with as much snow (or at least it dissipates much quicker). I still have 3' of this junk piled up on the side of my driveway. If I had a motard I'd be practicing my jumps right about now. :thumbsup:

i hit it 2 days ago which felt great. now, we have snow again so who knows when i'll get another shot. hopefully, i won't have to wait til' march cause i might lose it.

i love this time to keep working on the bike... just got new pads on, changing the coolant this weekend, looking to order tires, set up the navigation, there's more but when its time to roll out, i'll be ready!

I hear ya busaga, been working and adding since the first bad snow hit here. However every passing day is torture at this point. Eventually you run out of mods or money.
Posted via Mobile Device

I hear ya busaga, been working and adding since the first bad snow hit here. However every passing day is torture at this point. Eventually you run out of mods or money.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sun is shining here, but its in the 20's. Rain/sleet mix last night. Tonight is going to get interesting, hope it's snow not ice. 4wd does fine in the snow, not so well in the ice.....
Latest issue of StreetFighters magazine had a feature on a 2wd turbo R6, got me wondering how much fun that would be with some studded tires........

I've been riding all year here in San Antonio Texas :whistle: I know, that wasn't nice. I'll go back to my :corner: again

Last edited:
It's nice in the afternoons here but in the 30s in the mornings. I know, to some of you 30 degrees would be a heatwave. Must be at least 45 before I roll out the Busa. Spring is a comin.:thumbsup:

lol JdBusa, first thing i had to do was see if you were my neighbor... swear to god, i felt like you just described ames...

But yeah... painful...

the last baby warm up when we got a little melt... i sat there thinking, if we could just get a little more melt, i could kinda ride.... at least around the parking lot... LOL...

YARGH...

IT SUCKS!

then again, my moto is still sitting on a semi after i bought it from tony.... its been touring the united states with out me... was in lockwood,il stuck because of weather....

but now its in N. Liberty, Ia coming this way.... i'm hoping for delivery either today or tomorow...

:cheerleader:

I drink a lot to pass the time.

The weather here is above freezing during the day. Any snow that falls melts.
Then it freezes at night. It is hard to walk in some places, it is that slick.
You'd have to want a cast to try and ride.

I'll be out riding as soon as they finish clearing the road!:rofl:

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    791.1 KB · Views: 153
After a bitterly cold winter (by East Coast standards - LOL!), the past 10 days have been pretty mild. We had one day it was sunny and almost 60 here in DC, and alll I could think about was riding.

Trouble is I'm stuck in an office all day with way too much work to think about taking off early.

It's Thursday, it wasn't too bad this morning, but a cold front is coming through and it's supposed to snow tonight, so I knock off early (5:30) and am home about 6:15, my wife says "Why are you home so early?"

Suit up, liners in both pants and jacket, drag out the Busa, but can't find my real winter gloves with actual insulation....

Got about 40 minutes in before the cold and suburban commuter traffic did me in. Don't think I broke 70 mph anywhere, way too many lights and cars, slippery sand on the edges of the roads and through every friggen intersection, froze my butt off (I think it's about 30 degrees right now), AND IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT!

That should hold me for another week or two. Almost February, suckiest month in the year (other than my birthday), which means March is coming, which means WINTER IS ALMOST OVER! Thank you, Lord, thank you!

Got in a 1/2 hour maintence ride today(mid 40's).New tires,so I was a little newb-like in the riding technique!:laugh:
Good to get that first heat cycle(relatively speaking) in,resulting in 3-1/2 inch + poultry stripes.:rofl:
Prob. been 6+ weeks since this bike was out.The other bike, about 2 weeks ago after sitting for 2 months.
Not much of a ride, but better than none at all.??? :beerchug:

My bike is tore down right now, just installed a full yosh r-77 exhaust and pc. Hoping to put the fairings on over the weekend and take it for spin next week sometime. Im not a fan of cold weather but not riding kills me so I give in now and then.

went in garage with my blanky and pillow... you CAN sleep on a motorcycle.. :)

So I'm sitting here looking out my window and the awesome sunshine going on thinking, wow, what a great day for a ride before work. Just 2 problems, first the streets are covered in snow/ice from the last snow (yesterday) and second, it's a balmy 10 degrees out with a -5 windchill. I start thinking....like the Klondike commercials...what would I do for a ride right now?

Well, I'd lick the chrome of a Harley for ride right now for starters! :laugh:

For the rest of my northern brothers and sisters stuck in this winter wasteland of frozen tundra....what would you do to get out for just an hour's worth of riding right now? ???

Don't post ho, let's see some real creative responses to show these southern folks how much they should appreciate their good grace and fortune with the ability to ride virtually 365 days a year. :thumbsup: Seriously, if anyone can change the weather and has a sporty, glide, ultra....anything HD sitting around they'd like to powdercoat I'm ready to start licking for just one day of high 30's and sunshine!

I feel ur pain, I'm in VA, we get lots of nasty ridin days. But I'm usually out, rain or shine, whatever the temperature(might not stay out too long:laugh:) Snow covered roads are so far the only thing to keep me in, have you seen the Busa on here with the spiked tires in the snow/ice?
Man I'de love to try that. Used to ride dirtbikes in the snow and ice with dirt tires, doesn't work too good:laugh:

Back