How are things?..Part 2

runeight

why ask why
Donating Member
Registered
Since posting part 1, it's time for part 2 because things have turned down big time.

The Railroads are a good gage of the economy. Railroads haul everything. You name it..we haul it and let me tell you, business is way down.

I went to work yesterday Westbound and the closest train ahead of me was 180 miles down the road. Unbelievable for a weekend when freight is at it's heaviest.

The Vice President of Transportation stated a drop of 9% in November with another 7% forecasts for first quarter next year. Retention boards are being done away with effective the 15 TH. Retention Boards were set up so as to keep employees from seeking other work. They paid benefits and $2000 per month.

No more.

VP also stated furloughs will begin system wide so exercise your Seniority. Go where you can hold a job albeit Chicago to Seattle to Los Angles to New Orleans and all points in between. It's going to get ugly for some young employees who will have to pick up stakes or leave there families and work somewhere else.

Tough. Real tough.

So, take 9% and add another 7% and subtract from this figure below. (This assumes all Railroads are down by 16% next year which would be a close figure.) It's a lot of money, jobs and tax revenue lost.

Entire article here: Overview of U.S. Freight Railroads

r8

Freight railroads are critical to the economic well-being and global competitiveness of the United States. They move 42 percent of our nation's freight (measured in ton-miles) - everything from lumber to vegetables, coal to orange juice, grain to automobiles, and chemicals to scrap iron - and connect businesses with each other across the country and with markets overseas. They also contribute billions of dollars each year to the economy through investments, wages, purchases, and taxes.

Last edited:
Our plant stopped railcar deliveries about 8 months ago.....and went to 100% trucks. Which to me, didn't make any since, with how high gas prices were. :dunno: Times are hard everywhere right now.

We just had a General Notice issued for unpaid leave days. 15 or 30 days off without pay.

I'm going for the 15 days off without pay. Gives me the Holidays off :thumbsup: and one younger employee working.

I'm a bum anyway.

r8

Yep, the oil business has slowed way down as well. Not nearly as much consumption due to the economic slowdown. My company has already been laying people off and we have guy's sitting at home waiting for one of the oil companies to drill a well. Bad thing is it hurts the little independent oil producers and the small service companies like the one I work for the worst. Investors don't want to drill for oil/gas unless they can make a ton of $$$, and the little guy's rely on nearly 100% investor $$ to drill and lift their oil.. This is a typical swing though, usually happens in roughly a 10 year cycle, have lived through it nearly my whole life so you prepare for it. The good thing is gas is cheap, so I can still ride during the slow times on the $$ I saved during the good times !!! :thumbsup:

Back