How AMA is killing SBK

DaCol.

D' Colonel
Donating Member
So, it receive the AMA Pro Superbike Championship schedule today :rofl: .

They call it a PRO Series, but ONLY schedule 8 races all year. Which are:

March 10-12 Daytona

May 13-15 Sonoma, Cal
May 28-29 Tooele, Utah

June 3-5 Elkhart Lake, Wis

July 8-10 Lexington, Ohio
July 22-24 Monterey, Cal

Aug 12-12 Alton, Va

Sept 2-4 Millvile, NJ

Now, I don't know about you, but only 8 races (I consider 2 heats per weekend, one race and NOT 2 races at this level) in 7 months is a little slim for a Pro Racing schedule that is suppose to be on a World Class Level. So, just why would the Big 4 come back ? When if you miss one, point wise, YOUR PROBABLY OUT ! Even Petit LeMans Endurance Sports Car Racing has more races that this.

No races in April or November, which would add at least two races to catch up if you have a bad weekend. And the LOCATIONS !!! It's either Extreme East Coast or West Coast except for one in Wis. and the other in Ohio. So unless you live in Cal., you can only see ONE race without traveling 500 to 1000 miles or more. Let alone, no Barber, Road Atlanta or Texas racing for anyone below the Mason Dixon Line. Well, Daytona, but that's another animal anyway and not a stand alone motorcycle race. Geezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, AMA really knows how to get people to follow and attend there races. And don't forget. Speed shows the races at MIDNIGHT :pullhair: . Which shows how much they think of the series. NO wonder the Big 4 left :banghead:

What do YOU THINK :whistle:

Unfortunately I just don't think the market is there anymore for American motorcycle racing. Even most sport bike enthusiasts I meet could care less about it. Wish I had a good solution for it but I think the only way you will see it take off again is if the big four really dump some promotion dollars into it.

I blame it all on stretched busas with bling... :rofl:

It's been downhill since Spies left. Mladdin right afterward... The only reason I will watch any of the races this year is because Eric Bostrom is back. That's it. I used to watch religiously. Now I only watch MotoGP...

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk.

I really don't understand how so much money can be dumped into Nascar racing, while F1 and Superbike racing eek by here in the US. I can't help but wonder if it has to do with the scant amount of advertising and the horrible timeslots that racing is aired. For example, I would love to watch the Isle of Man races, but they air at such odd times I rarely do. Same for most MotoGP races. :(

I think there is a lack of support from fans :whistle:

Sure would be nice if people could stream races on the computer for free :poke: :laugh: If the sites gets hits they may draw advertisers there and they can have them produce revs..

Just a crazy thought. :dunno:

By chance I just happened to watch the last round of AMA this morning on Speed. Well, this morning Western Australia time. I don't like the fact that they race on a modified stock car track, rather than a dedicated MC or touring car track.

I realize that the US is more NASCAR orientated and there are probably not that many touring car tracks, but the tracks the AMA race on are boring. I'd rather stay up until 2am and watch MotoGP.

I think that someone should just start up another AMA type association. Obviously those fools are running sportbike anything into the ground so why not....Im just sayin

It would be great if there were more realistic classes. Seems like it was a lot more fun back in the '80s, '90s and early '00s... I even liked the 250cc two-stroke class that Jimmy Felice dominated.

A 250cc class would be AWESOME!
There just isn't enough racing to be truthful. We go to Road America every year, and you just walk around aimlessly for hours in between races. Give us something more to watch! More sidecar races! The Monkeys never get old!!

Yeah, I don't get it. NASCAR is a mulit billion dollar industry and the only AMA, F1, or Isle of Man event you are going to see is on the internet or at two in the morning on speed.
I am not a big fan of NASCAR, not putting it down just not my cup of tea. Seems to me it's more about the drama than the race. Maybe that's why its doing so well, Americans love their reality tv.

Ok I can agree with most of what's being said.

I personally think that the motorcycle racing isn't popular in the US because there's a stigma on motorcycling period, there's a general lack of interest by the American people to learn about something new, and I think a lot of people realize that people can and do die in these races and they try to avoid watching that happen live... (you'd think the death aspect would have the opposite effect.)

At any rate, we can fight these things by doing a few things. One, send complaints to Speed and other networks about the lack and timing of motorcycling events. Two, mention your motorcycling fandom to companies that you frequently use that aren't necessarily motorcycle related. And finally, grab your friends that aren't into motorcycling to watch your DVR recorded races with you while you tell them what the hell's going on and why it's badass!!!!:laugh:

BTW, motorcycle races in America haven't been completely given up on, here's a new racing platform for Motorcycle racing...
World Moto Clash Pre-Announced :cheerleader:

Plus lets not forget the new NOLA track that's almost complete, and the new Austin track that was supposed to start construction last week (might have gotten delayed because of the crazy weather we've been having here in TX) :banghead:

NASCAR is an American creation. there are places of the country that have local racing 2,3,4 times a week. from outlaws, to modifieds to late models there is a deep racing culture that supports the NASCAR we see on Sundays.

there is not that support structures for motorcycles......

solution: do what NASCAR does, support the grassroots local racers. Give money to the local tracks, to help lower the costs of racing. have realistic classes, where a guy does not have to buy a brand new bike every year to stay competetive.

It's simple. "NASCAR is one of the most viewed professional sports in terms of television ratings in the United States. In fact, professional football is the only sport in the United States to hold more viewers than NASCAR". And the last superbowl was the most watched event every shown on tv.

The bottom line , like most everything is $$$. A motorcycle has a very limited space to display sponsor information. The races are much shorter in time, so the potential sponsor has a hard time to justify the expense. An average nascar event will last four hours or more, and with the pre race coverage, and interviews with the drivers in their uniforms with sponsors patches everywhere, drinking their favorite beverage, and mentioning all the companies that make it possible for them to race, it is a good deal for companies. It would cost sponsors a fortune if they had to pay for the air time to expose their product or service. Even at that, nascar teams are having a hard time getting the sponsor deals they need for a full cup season. With the exception of a few teams, you will not see the same sponsors on a drivers car from week to week. Companies are buying a few races as opposed to a full season. Say what you will though, nascar knows how to MARKET their product.

you are looking at it the wrong way.....

its not the lack of sponsor money, its the lack of interest from the general public.

the sponsor are there because of the people that watch...people don't watch because of the sponsors.

NASCAR, NFL and MLB all have one thing in common. they have a structured organization that brings in local fans, gets them interested. any kid can sign up for "Little League" or Pop Warner Football.....but how many kids can race a bike, even racing a YSR or mini is expensive.

If the AMA series was set up to feed WSBK, you'd see more interest. And who wants to watch superbikes or sports cars run on the infield of a NASCAR track, around orange cones? Tracks like Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen, Elkhart Lake, or Laguna Seca are where sportsbikes and sports cars were made to run.

AMA Drag Racing isn't dead, but it is really confusing to try and figure out some of the classes they have. Take "Real Street" for instance. Most of those bikes see very little street use because they are so modified up, that they are barely steetable. That is just rediculous. The average person cant run in the Real Street and be competitive because the rules are so far stretched.

Back