Hot weather  protection

hooken203

Donating Member
Registered
I need to know what you people think is the best choice for a jacket that has good protection but ok to wear when its hot??
I have a Joe Rocket Ballistic Meteor 4 its black and its kinda hot.
Thinking about buying leather Vanson Cobra Mark 2.
Thanks for any suggestion on this one.

I think anything Vanson is going to be good. I'm not sure how cool it will be, but, I'm sure the protection will be good.
I just got the JR Santa Fe jacket. Very cool, air goes right through it. It's got all the padding but the leather is pretty thin. Very comfy in the heat but probably wont offer a whole lot of high speed protection. Better than a T-shirt though.

Not as much protection as leather...........But, the Joe Rocket Phoenix Jackets are light weight and cool. They come with padding/armor. Not sure what level of protection they offer but it has to be more than a t-shirt..........

I tried on that JR mesh jacket on Saturday.
I think it would offer next to no protection....but yeah....deffinately more than a t-shirt.
I think if you went down the armour would rip right out of it in about 10 feet.

I tried on that JR mesh jacket on Saturday.
I think it would offer next to no protection....but yeah....deffinately more than a t-shirt.
I think if you went down the armour would rip right out of it in about 10 feet.
I bought one the stuff is pretty durable, but no where near a leather perf. It is nice and cool though. Best leather is a vanson Leather perf. I like it and as long as you are moving it is great. The JR Mesh I got for Florida.

Hooken

i have this one is pretty cool and has built in hard armor in the elbow and sholder and back padding is about 120 bucks

http://www.fieldsheer.com/products.php?display=mach1

give it a look .....
cool.gif

I won a JR mesh in a $5 raffle and I feel comfortable riding in it. I read a lot of reviews on it including reviews from riders who went down in it (70-80mph crashes). Every rider commented that the jacket protected well under those conditions, but that it was a 1 crash jacket. No one reported any of the protective pads coming out of the jacket, only that the jacket was heavily damaged after the crash.

I figure its a good investment, If you are like me and know you aren't gonna throw on a leather jacket in 90+ degree weather. I did a 400 mile daytrip in mine and on occassion i would wet the t-shirt i had on under it, and with the wind blowing through the mesh it really helped..

If anything happened to this on I'ld buy another for the price, I bought the matching mesh pants. When the funds are there i may invest in a perfed leather jacket.... but until then i'm satisfied with my JR suit.

Oh one thing this sucker provides no warmth if you get caught out on a cool night after riding all day --- I've learned to keep a sweat shirt or windbreaker in the tank bag during the fall.

Yes good point it is a HOT WEATHER JACKET. Once that s8n goes down around here it is a bit5 nippy.

No Kidding around here, I have both the Phoenix and a JR Full Perf Leather. I wore the Phoenix for about 3 weeks but I have parked it. I feel I get just as much air through the perforated leather and I do not have the nagging questions about it's durability. I'll still wear the Phoenix occasionaly <span style='color:orangered'>maybe</span> but I just did not feel comfortable in it. I don't trust it...

If it is such a good revolutionary product how come JR doesn't show a single one thats been down. Oh yeah, I was recommending the JR Phoenix gloves...BS for them as well, they are going in the crapper. Wear the real stuff if your serious, wear the Phoenix stuff instead of just a t-shirt if your putting around town. When I see a real test of the Phoenix gear compared to quality leather, I may change my mind.

BTW Vanson, is the Bomb, and from what I have seen of their other jackets a full perf vanson is something you will be happy to crash in...It's on my list of next things...Pricey but worth it..

this should keep you cooler. works for me but the heels take some getting used to

leathers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I won a JR mesh in a $5 raffle and I feel comfortable riding in it. I read a lot of reviews on it including reviews from riders who went down in it (70-80mph crashes). Every rider commented that the jacket protected well under those conditions, but that it was a 1 crash jacket. No one reported any of the protective pads  coming out of the jacket, only that the jacket was heavily damaged after the crash.

I figure its a good investment, If you are like me and know you aren't gonna throw on a leather jacket in 90+ degree weather. I did a 400 mile daytrip in mine and on occassion i would wet the t-shirt i had on under it, and with the wind blowing through the mesh it really helped..

If anything happened to this on I'ld buy another for the price, I bought the matching mesh pants. When the funds are there i may invest in a perfed leather jacket.... but until then i'm satisfied with my JR suit.

Oh one thing this sucker provides no warmth if you get caught out on a cool night after riding all day --- I've learned to keep a sweat shirt or windbreaker in the tank bag during the fall.
Find a 100% silk or Gore-tex Long sleeve shirt. REI or something would be a good place. Real thin, but blocks allmost all the wind when you need it and packs into the size of a tennis ball, easily fitting into your underseat. Plastic garbage bag over the jacket can work just as well, just not very pretty. But in an emergency...

Last thought, several companies advertise there mesh jackets as being 100% cordura nylon, then you check the label and it's 100% polyester. Which melts and burns readily. Cordura pretty tough, polyester your dad's freakin disco shirt...no thanks.

I know I know, Blah blah blah Rev is going again....

Kobe makes a leather and mesh cool jacket. The shoulders and elbows and parts of the back are leather reinforced. I think it has hard armor too. But the body panels and the interior arm panels are mesh. Looks good too. If you are going to Laguna Seca, you can pick one up at a discount from vendors there. Everyone offers discounts at the race. You can even buy tires and get them mounted/balanced. One vendor I know carries Kobe is 1888fastlap.com. They will be at Laguna Seca.

The mesh is never going to compare to leather in a durability test... But I think the real issue is when its 90+ degrees outside are you gonna put that leather jacket on to putt around town?
rock.gif
? Personally i don't think most riders or maybe its just the ones i see riding in t-shirts on hot summer days. And I'd be one of them, I may wear a textile jacket on warm days, bu if its 90+ give me a mesh "cooler" anyday.

Back