hot start problem!

rob anthony

Registered
hi folks,
i have an 04 busa that wont start when hot,eg, after slow traffic on a hot day.

The fan is keeping everything mid way on the temp gauge but when ignition btn is pressed the clock needles "sweep" the dials and the time resets.

There is no "click" from the starter relay when this happens but after 10 mins or so everything returns to normal, battery is relatively new and mileage is low (8500).

Would be grateful for any ideas/feedback.

Not a serious problem, but a little annoying.

I may be wrong but, since my bike is an 04 and does the same thing. I think the stopped traffic(mine does this cruising Ocean Blvd at the beach), the fans are sucking on the battery and the battery is getting no charge at all in this low rpm range.

I think it drains the battery and then as it has cooled off, the battery has recovered it's charge. I have been thinking about getting a really strong battery before the next beach trip. I think if you get the bike out on the open rd and charge it back and cool the bike down before turning it off, it isnt a problem.

Reactions: Zay
I removed my Gen I books from the PC when I bought the Gen II, but you might check the schematics. You probably have an interlock holding you off until the bike cools. As stated by the other poster my Gen I really hated stop and go traffic, especially in the summer. Just could not keep up and at low RPMs the charging is shameful, but you stated after 10 it cranked right up, so that doesn't seem to be an issue. It's not sluggish or dragging, it want turn over at all, so a larger amp/hr battery probably won't cure this. Good Luck.

Thanks for the info, will keep investigating, really suspect the starter relay, ah yes...wonderful electrics,keeps you on your toes,so to speak,will keep you posted!!

Thanks for the info, will keep investigating, really suspect the starter relay, ah yes...wonderful electrics,keeps you on your toes,so to speak,will keep you posted!!

Look for the downloadable manual for your bike brother. They use to be hosted here.

Well Gen I busas are well known for this problem....it just that the starter gets too hot, you got to let it cool down before you try to start it again...That's all, try to install a second fan or a manual fan switch...buy a better cranking power battery...Battery Plus has a good gel battery for the busas...Got a 1397 and no problems so far...Good luck!!

I put a Batteries Plus battery in my bike two years ago at the beach because of that problem. What is the best battery you can buy for the Busa, anyone know?

hi folks,

The fan is keeping everything mid way on the temp gauge but when ignition btn is pressed the clock needles "sweep" the dials and the time resets.

There is no "click" from the starter relay when this happens but after 10 mins or so everything returns to normal, battery is relatively new and mileage is low (8500).

Hey try doing a search on the subject. They have been a lot of traffice written on this problem. I agree with the other post possible a bad interlock switch. I had the same problem and went with a bigger battery, dual fans, then dual batteries and I keep it on my tender. I would start witht he easiest and cheapest fix first...JM2C

Hi
There is one thing I do not understand with Hayabusa especially Gen 1 & it's the start problems that so many describe. Most often, it is difficult to start when you have driven a few mil left it half an hour and then try to start it. But even cold-start problems occur.
Standard answer these wretches get is that bylla replace the battery - which works sometimes, but all too rarely.

Another advice is that the start motor is too hot and needs to cool, it has swelled in the heat and therefore goes sluggish; but what can expand into a starter and get it to jam, it's the needle bearing in the front or or rod in the ring in the back? the rest are floating the charge. And although the bar between the back & Drive has a vists room for movement in renewed at point. But what strikes me is the amount of Hayabusa with starting problems. I have recently seen the hubs also Gen 2 Busas with the same problem.

I have problems starting off with warm or cold engine, that slow and drains battery on 3-4 start attempts. The problem comes in 75% of initial attempts to where emellen start immediately with good spin on the starter.

I changed the starter relay, regulator / refrictor, batteries: YuasaYTZ14S with 230 CCA (starting current) & Shido Lithium Ion with 300 CCA, starter clutch and to.m. try a 24-volt systems like some certainly worked and started the engine 9 Gager 10 but when the engine carved hit it with such force that I was entitled to all the teeth would come loose between the starter and the start clutch / drive shaft into the motor. Without achieving any improvement.

Ask what is it that is undersized or substandard on this bike.
That it is construct of the budget parts, I know, but why is this common affliction of is there any professional designer mechanic odyl who knows??
Or do I buy a Honda / BMW to get a bike that starts ???

Edited version

Hi

There is one thing I do not understand with Hayabusa especially Gen 1 & it's the start problems that so many describe. Most often, it is difficult to start when you have driven a few mil left it half an hour and then try to start it. But even cold-start problems occur.
Standard answer these wretches get is that to test the battery and replace it if it´s bad - which works sometimes, but all too rarely.

Another advice is that the start motor is too hot and needs to cool, it has swelled in the heat and therefore goes sluggish; but what can expand into the starter and get it to jam, it's the needle bearing in the front or rod in the ring in the back?

The bar in the starter motor runs freely without any friction in the rotational direction except those I have already mentioned: it has a even a specific room for movement in the longitudinal direction and should therefore meet a certain thermal expansion without getting stuck. But what strikes me is the amount of Hayabusa with starting problems. I have recently seen even Gen 2 Busa with the same problem.

I have problems starting the bike with a warm or cold engine, that crank slow and drains the battery on only 3-4 start attempts. The problem comes at 75% of start attempts, but in 25% of the attemmts it start up immediately with good spin on the starter.

I changed the starter relay, regulator / refrictor, batteries: YuasaYTZ14S with 230 CCA (starting current) & Shido Lithium Ion with 300 CCA, starter clutch and even tried a 24-volt systems,which admittedly started the bike 9 times out of 10., but when the starter motor started to go slow & chewy, & the 24 volts hit the starter so hard that the teeth from the starter through the idle gear to the starter the clutch and to the drive shaft into the motor, I thought everything would collapse and teeth flying. Without achieving any improvement.

Question - what is it that is under dimensioned and substandard on this bike for the starting problem.
That there is a construction of budget parts - I know, but why does not Suzuki with the problem & do something radical like to change the battery, starter ody. ? or is there any professional service mechanic or someone else who knows the cause and solution to this problem. We who are afflicted and spend big money on buying one after the expensive parts. My suzuki workshop are the ones who changed all the parts I changed for good money and without that problem is solved.
Or do I have to abandon the Hayabusa, which over the years I've learned to love and buy a bike with higher quality & reliability.

My desire is an explanation of the problem and a solution to it. As it is, do not even suzuki mechanics reason for the error, but gives different answer every time.

Well i faced the same issue with my 09 hayabusa.
In the beginning read many threads and implemented on it but nothing worked for me and my bike was having same issue,like not starting when hot and later on it ws totally dead.
Tried replacing battery,cleaned up starter and changed its relay,cleaned and changed my bikes grips but thngs dint work out for me.
In the end changed its rectifier and alternator.now bike is working fine.(:....

My previous 08 had the same issue highly annoying when you just filled it up with fuel and then had to wait 10 minutes to cool down so she can start up again I finally brought and installed a new lithium battery and it cured the dreaded warm start issues I had :thumbsup:

hi folks,

I have an 05 Busa and I had the same problems when the bike was hot it had a hard time starting so I end up changing the starter and I put a new starter and so now it seems like it's working fine even when it gets hot

Back