Hot start issues.

grabntwist

The one who started it all
Donating Member
Registered
Most know my setup here. I never really had this problem before. Only since the last time I had some repair work done at Carpenter's shop.

Very simply put the bike has issues started when hot (needle at less than half). I was up in Philly today and got stuck in traffic. then pulled in to a cycle shop. I hung around for about 15 minutes and we decided to leave. My bike made one full rev and died. I thought easy enough the battery is three years old. I'll go in and get the Honda replacement Yuasa YTZ14S. 225 cca's later and the bike barely started. I got to a gas station, gassed up and the bike did not start. I waited 10 min. or so slighty cracked the throttle open and she started right up. I rode home in 40 degree weather at pretty high speeds. The temp was right at the "C" the whole time I shut the bike off and tryed to start it and the thing cranked as fast as a 600cc and started right up.

Im not super versed in Busa motors, but if I had to guess I'd say my ingition seems way advanced. Or atleast if I had this problem in a small block 350 that would be the case.

I never really had this problem before. Only since the last time I had some repair work done at Carpenter's shop.

you may have solved yer problem right there

Take it back Grab. Sounds like their problem,not yers...yet.

<!--EDIT|rubbersidedown
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140138723 -->

Last week, we were out in Palm Springs and it was pretty toasty. Not boilin' over or anything but for some reason my Busa and the wiff's gixxer didn't wanna start for a while. Cranked 'em and cranked 'em and cranked 'em and FINALLY, they both started. Makes me wonder, however, what the heck was going on there. Usually, it starts with a quick tap on the starter button.

--Wag--

grabNtwist -- you're saying it seems liked lots
of advance? like its makes one rev, then when
you get spark, it stops?

do you have a TRE installed?

Mine does that sometimes. when it's really really cold and after I was stuck in city traffice all day.
I think it's just the nature of the beast.

Same here in Bangkok traffic. The car put infront of me, which caused me to stop and stalled. When trying to fire her back up, she wouldn't.
sad.gif
Sat around for 30 minutes, nothing happened. Had to ask a security guard to push the pike so I can jump start it. Got home and try starting it after several hours and she came on like nothing was ever wrong.

Why?
mad.gif

I never really had this problem before. Only since the last time I had some repair work done at Carpenter's shop.

you may have solved yer problem right there

Take it back Grab. Sounds like their problem,not yers...yet.
Rubadub. I just got off the phone w/Bob. Im bringin' er' down in a few weeks to get it sorted out. He said it's no prob. Usual excellent service from Carpenter Race Engines.

Your in Philly, it does not sound like a heat problem, unless you are running no radiator fluid. However your needle shows it is not over heating. Sounds like a fuel problem. Take it to a good mechanic.

Last week, we were out in Palm Springs and it was pretty toasty.  Not boilin' over or anything but for some reason my Busa and the wiff's gixxer didn't wanna start for a while.  Cranked 'em and cranked 'em and cranked 'em and FINALLY, they both started.  Makes me wonder, however, what the heck was going on there.  Usually, it starts with a quick tap on the starter button.

--Wag--
Ah ha! Same with me on occasion, especially if she's been sitting in the hot sun while I'm eating lunch, etc.. Pop your gas cap, reseat it and bingo; if like mine, she'll fire right up!
Hmmmm, another possiblitly, and this is strictly my .02s worth, is that we both have Calif models! Does our extra BS gas fume vent plumbing maybe have something to do with it??

I noticed others with this problem.  I live in Canada and the heat is not that much of a problem.  I get to ride in the 30 degrees C ( 86 or so for you guys) if I am lucky.  My situation is that after a ride the heat tends to 'sink' in and then I hit the starter, rolls a bit then nothing.  Try it a few times still nothing.  Try it again there she goes.  At times I open the gas.  My thoughts on the mater are two folds.  To much compression, probably not.  OR the starter gears etc expand with the heat and get too tight.  A small cool down seems to help.  Any thoughts on my theory.
PS. It seem to get worst after I put in Synthetic.

JR

Big Bore and lots of compression equals hard to start when the engine is hot! Thats my story....

Last week, we were out in Palm Springs and it was pretty toasty.  Not boilin' over or anything but for some reason my Busa and the wiff's gixxer didn't wanna start for a while.  Cranked 'em and cranked 'em and cranked 'em and FINALLY, they both started.  Makes me wonder, however, what the heck was going on there.  Usually, it starts with a quick tap on the starter button.

--Wag--
Ah ha! Same with me on occasion, especially if she's been sitting in the hot sun while I'm eating lunch, etc.. Pop your gas cap, reseat it and bingo; if like mine, she'll fire right up!
Hmmmm, another possiblitly, and this is strictly my .02s worth, is that we both have Calif models! Does our extra BS gas fume vent plumbing maybe have something to do with it??
I used to have an 1100 Katana with a 1260 kit in it. It would refuse to start in the heat at times. I'd have to tear the thing about, take out the spark plugs and let them dry out and then put the whole thing back together again. a 45 minute job at least.

I never did really know what the problem was, just knew what it took to get it to work.

Guess what bike didn't get ridden much when I lived in the Phoenix area?

--Wag--

I own an '03 , with 5,100 miles on it, and never had an overheating problem until now. It must be noted that I mounted a pair of Yoshimura's (bolt ons) just four days ago but I had never been on a heavy traffic congestion before. Yesterday I went riding and got stock on traffic for about 1-1/2 hours. The bike die on me and it would not start, no sound from the red switch (fuel pump?), not even a clank from the starter as if the battery was dead, but the horn and and the head lights showed sings of a healthy battery. My friends helped me to push start it and I drove it for a few blocks to a parking lot where I let cool off for a while. After waiting for about an hour I turned the switch, the sound from the red switch (fuel pump) came back up and the bike started right away. I rode at normal speed for a while with no problems until I decided that it was safe to get back on the traffic jam, once again, after about an hour the story repeats it self for the second time. At that time I remembered that the bike, specially the seat, felt really hot between my legs, the temperature needle was at the middle point between the notch and the red before it died. After I let it cool down again I started it and rode the 35 miles to my house at 80 mph with no problem.
My guess to this problem was that the bike has a weak radiator fan and a safety kill. Next time I will try popping the fuel cap ... any other sugestions?

--Wag--
+1

restarting in hot conditions usually requires popping the gas cap (a vacuum condition I guess) + few twists of the throttle when hitting start. Happens to me every summer when its really hot.

Back