hot rear rotor

fasteddie0841

Registered
I have a new 06, bought last august and have noticed the rear rotor gets too hot to touch even on a normal ride, whereas the front two rotors barely get warm. I use the front break more then the back and the back wheel spins freely when on stand. Is this normal?
rock.gif

66cu82b.jpg

The rear rotor will get warmer due to a much smaller surface area.

post-52-02136-welcome.gif
To the Org.

You may be riding the rear brake, I had that problem when I first got my bike. Ride around town for a little while without using your rear brake, then check it.

I made sure i wasn't riding the rear brake, and on a normal ride (mostly using the front brake)  the back rotor still gets to hot to touch wile the front rotors barely get warm. this may be normal. Does everybody have this same situation? Thanks

When you say hot to the touch, could it be just the heat from the road and sun?

I don't use my back brake unless it's an emergency stop. does it warm up when not used at all? maybe your rear brake is drag'n

Welcome Fasteddie.  I use my rear break when entering turns for what is called 'trail' braking in conjuction with the front brake.  Even if you use the brake very little it will get very hot due to the small surface area even to the point of turning blue.  This is why some people have changed to after market rotors (Gafler wave rotor) and pads.

Check out Pashnit's mods to his 'busa.  This is one he discusses.

Pashnit's Hayabusa Mods

It doesnt take much for a rotor to heat up. Just at a normal stop you should notice a good bit of heat even from a parking lot stop. Posted on Jun. 11 2007,14:14
You also have to relize your spliting the brakeing power by 2 rotors in the front verses the rear.[/Quote] +1

Back