Hot on ignition wire under tank good to tap?

jphilipson

Registered
Working on a wiring harness for my new aux lights, and it will be running a relay. The fuse and relay will be mounted under the tank. Can anyone recommend a good wire that is only hot on ignition to tap into to trigger the relay in this area?

After that the current will hit the controller for the LED lights that will allow me to dim/adjust as well as switch on/off remotely. Controller also has a high bean trigger for full power :thumbsup: - will be pretty sweet once it's hooked up.

What kind of lights? And which gen Busa?

2008, nevermind...

I don't know a whole lot about the bike's wiring, but maybe this will help a little at 2:40 in the morning.

Check out the second section of Step 4 in this attachment. I'm not sure where that one runs, but maybe you can trace to a spot that's good for you.

Attachments

• Suzuki Hayabusa Late v4.0.pdf
    567.3 KB · Views: 342
Ooops, wrong forum, meant to post in Gen2 - the lights are LEDs which I'll be running of a relay - just need something under the tank area to tap into to switch the relay to power on the lights when the bike turns on. I can always run the wire up to the front and tap off the marker lights - just wondering if there was a closer option.

Working on a wiring harness for my new aux lights, and it will be running a relay. The fuse and relay will be mounted under the tank.

Justin, IMO there are two reasons why placing these components under the tank is problematic:

1) There is an *enormous* amount of heat in this area... this will make your relay (like most electrical components) very unhappy over time.

2) Let's say it's raining at 2am when you're out traveling through heavy deer country, hunting down that next bonus location. Then, for some reason, your aux light fuse blows. Now you have to lift the tank in order to replace the fuse.... that's no good.

Recommendation:

Place your relay/fuse under your seat (pilot or pillion) such that you can easily access it should it become necessary. Tap into the rear running light circuit to signal your relay in the "on" position whenever your ignition is on.

Below is a pic that I used in describing the Pro-Oiler installation, but I bring it up here to show you the significant amount of free room under the rear cowling; you had abundant placement options here.

In this particular case here, the large orange arrow points to a beefy 25-amp fuseholder that uses 12-gauge wire (connected directly to the positive terminal of the battery) to power up that 4-terminal barrier strip. As you can see, I have connected several electrical goodies off this circuit, vice trying to tap off the bike's existing wiring.

powerunderseat.jpg

Justin, IMO there are two reasons why placing these components under the tank is problematic:

Thanks much :thumbsup: - all excellent points. I will go this route and mount the fuse/relay where I can access under the front seat - and switch the relay off the tail lights. My rear seat is a pita to remove with the Tour Tank mounted - so front seat it is.

Back