Hot Legs!

C-Dog

Formerly cuderdog
Registered
Has anyone come up with a way to keep the heat off their legs on the Gen2? I like the stock exhaust but while a little heat from the converters was okay in the winter, it's a little uncomfortable as the weather gets warmer, especially in traffic. Can the converters be wrapped without damaging them? I think it's even worse on my not broken in yet K11. My legs are fryin!!!

Not what you want to hear, but I realized 4 years ago that my right inner thigh got a little warmer than it did on the Gen I. You get use to it. Don't even think about it until someone post up about it. Best of luck with it. Granted I had the cats removed and a full system installed before I ever rode her.

Buy a full exhaust.
Or, get a Vance&Hines ss universal header. It will work with ANY mufflers, even the stock ones.
These are the best 2 choices.

I gutted the convertor on my gen2 a couple years ago. I cut the top off with a torch, removed the catalytic convertor itself from the case in the header pipe(it's in it's own sealed case inside the header and spot welded in). Then had my friend weld the top back on and spray paint the welds with high temp paint.
There is what feels like a larger area around your feet that is warm, but it is a noticeably much lower temperature and much better on the feet.
This is just because there is a larger area for the exhaust to build up, but it isn't staying there nearly as long, or building heat and pressure going through the cat itself.
The downside is a lack of back pressure. When you hit the throttle it will take a second to be as responsive. From low rpm or a stop only, anywhere else isn't noticeable. You literally feel that the now big empty box needs to be pressurized by the exhaust.
It's not harmful and caused my bike no ill effects for several thousand miles. To me it was worth it to keep from cooking my feet until I could afford a full system, which I now have.
Unless you or a friend is capable of removing the header and cutting and welding it, I wouldn't spend very much money doing it. If you can, then adding 2 peices of pipe to replace the empty convertor box, and basically re-making the header as if the cat was never there would be ideal. You would not have the above mentioned problem either.
This was what we were going to do next, but I was then able to buy the full system.:beerchug:

Never rode my bike with stock cans so I couldn't tell ya :laugh:

Remove the cats, Then powder coat the headers like the top fuelers and funny cars do. I did that to mine and a huge difference. I do not feel the heat any more.

Thanx all. A full Akrapovic is on my wish list. But I'm taking a road trip in the very near future and don't really want to do any major mods requiring tuning until I get back. Guess I'll just grin and bear it!

Buy a full exhaust. Or, get a Vance&Hines ss universal header. It will work with ANY mufflers, even the stock ones. These are the best 2 choices.

I agree :thumbsup:

100_3052.jpg

Reactions: Zee
Thanx all. A full Akrapovic is on my wish list. But I'm taking a road trip in the very near future and don't really want to do any major mods requiring tuning until I get back. Guess I'll just grin and bear it!

I have a full dual Akrapovic, and like their full single exhaust, no tuning is required(Per Akrapovic, both exhausts are designed to use the stock map).
My 08 runs great, and feels alot better than stock.
Would a dyno tune help? Certainly. Do you NEED one? Nope.

sixpack577 said:
I have a full dual Akrapovic, and like their full single exhaust, no tuning is required(Per Akrapovic, both exhausts are designed to use the stock map).

Good to know. Thanx Bro.

Put ZX fairings on it...slow and cold How wrong could I be? :whistle:

Header wrap???? Idk just a Guess

Exhaust wrap sounds like the cheapest and probably one of the more effective methods with a stock exhaust and would be fairly easy to accomplish. You can purchase a pretty hefty roll for $40 or so.

(PS: If you go a little faster the heat wont build up) :laugh:

Okay I'm Hooked! The Vance & Hines header pipe is less than $400. I really like the Akrapovic Dual. Slipons are $1200+. Full system is $1800+. Does it make sense to by the Akrapovic Slipons & V&H Header pipe to save $200+ ??? Are all Header pipes created Equal?? Cant Believe I missed out on a Full AK system last week here on the Board for $800!!

Dont do the header wrap. I did. It took forever and didnt notice a thing. Powercoat for sure.

Okay I'm Hooked! The Vance & Hines header pipe is less than $400. I really like the Akrapovic Dual. Slipons are $1200+. Full system is $1800+. Does it make sense to by the Akrapovic Slipons & V&H Header pipe to save $200+ ??? Are all Header pipes created Equal?? Cant Believe I missed out on a Full AK system last week here on the Board for $800!!

I have the full dual Akrapovic.
It's header has an X pipe before the mufflers as opposed to the H pipe of the V&H.
There's nothing wrong with the V&H, but if you want a full dual Akrapovic anyway you should go that route.
Performance diffrences shoudln't be dramatic, but I'de go with the full Akra since you want their mufflers.
Mine was $1555 shipped from MotoMummy.com
Fit, finish, quality, and weight loss are excellent.
The bike pulls smoother and suprisingly has a noticeable power increase.
If you like the look, the full dual Akrapovic is the way to go.:thumbsup:

SDC10561.jpg

Reactions: Zee

+2 on this, I own the Akrapovic Race Carbon 4-2-1 full system and no tune was required, just grip it and rip it!!

Back