Hot Engine, No Start Problem..i Found The Source. With Vids.

ChicoTheCop

Registered
My 2003 Busa has had the dreaded hot engine sluggish/no start problem for some time. I thought it was an electrical problem so I changed the battery wires to thicker ones. it seemed to help but ultimately the problem continued. then it gradually got worse to the point where I didn't start at all.
the symptoms are what everyone else seems to have. your bike is running fine. you stop for gas and the bike wont start, it actually sounds as if the battery is dead. you let it sit for 10 min or more then it starts fine as anything. then I read something about the starter clutch so I decided to open the starter and clutch covers. and sure enough it was all Gummed up. water apparently got in and mixed with the oil and created a gunk/crud.
here's what I think is going on. Moisture mixed with oil makes a paste but as the engine heats up that paste dries and get thinker, more viscus, causing the starter clutch and related gears to bind. as the engine cools moisture condenses into the oil again making it more liquid or at least into a softer paste allowing more movement in the gears until if finaly has so much that it wont start at all, Like my bike.

after I cleaned up all the parts I tried putting it all back together but the Idler/limiter gear cover has a pocket that holds the idler pin in place. apparently due to the gunk on all the parts the access force elongated the round hole to a point where it no longer places the idler gear firmly against the starter gear.
I put it all together but when I tried to start it I got a grinding sound as if the gears are just tapping on top of each over.

I ordered a new Idler cover to see if it places the gears into proper position. I haven't tried it yet to ill post something after I do.

Very interesting thanks for the vid my 08 sometimes did the no start when warm but I found out it seems the more I ride it this issue does not happen so often let us know how you go :thumbsup:

Back