horsepower loss with 6 inch arm???

D-max15

Registered
I am looking to add 6 inch arm to my Gen 1. what kind of hp loss does the dyno typically show? this bike has your basic bolt on stuff so i would guess hp is around 170-175....this is still a street bike so most of my racing is 30-40 mph rolling starts......thanks

I'm no expert but I just read about this on another forum and they said you lose 5HP for every 6 inches added to the swingarm.

I dont see this? How would wheelbase play any part on dyno HP numbers if it was strapped down on the drum? Onlything I could see is the cause is the longer chain but really 5HP :DUNNO:

The power loss is mainly from the longer chain. I dont know that it would be 5 hp for 6 inches but I would think its possible.

a properly tensioned high quality one piece chain should have no losses regardless of its length....the swingarm flex may come into it a bit on initial applied power...if however your running an extension 2nd chain then there will be losses in the additional gear wheels and rollors.

I dont see this? How would wheelbase play any part on dyno HP numbers if it was strapped down on the drum? Onlything I could see is the cause is the longer chain but really 5HP :DUNNO:

Longer/heavier chain will cause HP loss on the dyno. Also a heavier/soft compound tire could show HP loss too.

anyone actually do a dyno run back to back stock arm vs longer arm? have any of you that run the mile notice the longer bikes run slower speeds??

at 170-175 hp I dont see why you wud want to go that long. I was at 335 hp with +3 and it never came up nor did it spin the tire hardly ever unless it was really cold out or sand on the highway. on a bike makn that much hp I think its a total waste of money, time and possible traction.

at 170-175 hp I dont see why you wud want to go that long. I was at 335 hp with +3 and it never came up nor did it spin the tire hardly ever unless it was really cold out or sand on the highway. on a bike makn that much hp I think its a total waste of money, time and possible traction.

What did you 60 ft?

thanks for the run down on your bike, so what your saying is you don't know the answer to my question.........please post video of you using ALL 335 hp in first gear at full ride height.

PM Goldenchild he can tell you he does alot of dynos. I don't believe that you lose any but then again I have +8 .

and whats with all the newbies being rude to you GNBRETT?:laugh:

I'm just waiting to get my +8...Can't wait to see how it feels and rides!

As for the power loss, really if the chain is set and adjusted properly, I don't think that there should be any power loss really. Yes there is more weight for initial movement at take off, however no extra gearing is added so no extra power loss due to friction should happen.

Maybe to compensate a guy could lose a couple pounds..lol (I know I could)

Here's my 175whp bike at 9 over. Complete OEM clutch set-up w/ 1.46 60 ft. Carried the tire about 4-5in off the ground every time

stanton3_zpsbe07de98.jpg

I just posted this in another thread about dyno numbers... We dynoed my bike back too back going from 68" too 72"... same tire,same chain just added links,same dyno,same tuner,same day.. at 68" my bike dynoed 217whp..at 72" it did 208whp...

When my bike was swb I would trap 140-142..after I stretched it to 63" the mph came down too 138-139.. leaving the same way..ie..same launch,same 60ft,same 330ft....

I just posted this in another thread... We dynoed my bike back too back going from 68" too 72"... same tire,same chain just added links,same dyno,same tuner,same day.. at 68" my bike dynoed 217whp..at 72" it did 208whp...

When my bike was swb I would trap 140-142..after I stretched it to 63" the mph came down too 138-139.. leaving the same way..ie..same launch,same 60ft,same 330ft....

Which makes complete sense since the bike has added drag due to more chain links being added. It shouldn't really have to do anything with where the actual wheel is at but on the added chain length/type of chain. It's a proven fact that an o-ring/x-ring style chain has more drive loss than a non o-ring chain. Perfect example why a lot of the dirtbike 250 four stroke guys run non o-ring vs. the 450 guys running with the o-ring chain

Ryan Schnitz told me that back to back dyno runs going from a stock tire to something like a Shinko U-soft showed a 5-7 hp loss.

Here's my 175whp bike at 9 over. Complete OEM clutch set-up w/ 1.46 60 ft. Carried the tire about 4-5in off the ground every time

stanton3_zpsbe07de98.jpg
he wasnt askn about drag racing. he was askn about a street bike and roll-ons on the highway. but even at the drag strip its a waste at that hp imo. Mike Glace use to go 8.0 at almost 190 mph stretched to maybe 61-62 inches. [URL='
(aka T-Love) Turbo gsxr 1000 8.08 1/4 mile pass - YouTube[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back