Horse Power, Altitude, Air Filters

Joburg Cowboy

Registered
I read somewhere - I will find out and post where, that just by swapping the air filter on a bone stock B-King from standard to a K&N - you would gain atleast 3hp. Could this be true? I know the engines on a B-King and a Gen II Busa are almost identical so I am asking for some feedback from your forum. Also I live in Johannesburg, South Africa and we are at an altitude of 1740 meters. Would this higher altitude be any factor in determining if an aftermarket filter would boost more or less the HP figures on a stock bike? Please bear in mind I am talking about a motor with standard pipes. I am aware that once you fit slip ons the aftermarket filter becomes more of a factor. Can anyone give me advice. It seems like a relatively inexpensive way to boost power.
Regards
BRIAN
Johannesburg
South Africa

I read somewhere - I will find out and post where, that just by swapping the air filter on a bone stock B-King from standard to a K&N - you would gain atleast 3hp. Could this be true? I know the engines on a B-King and a Gen II Busa are almost identical so I am asking for some feedback from your forum. Also I live in Johannesburg, South Africa and we are at an altitude of 1740 meters. Would this higher altitude be any factor in determining if an aftermarket filter would boost more or less the HP figures on a stock bike? Please bear in mind I am talking about a motor with standard pipes. I am aware that once you fit slip ons the aftermarket filter becomes more of a factor. Can anyone give me advice. It seems like a relatively inexpensive way to boost power.
Regards
BRIAN
Johannesburg
South Africa

You may get a (quite) small power increase at high loads by using a less restrictive air filter in order to compensate for the high altitude. Under light loads, the ECU will keep the A/F ratio to about 15 to 1 independent of altitude and used air filter, so there is no change in power to expect for light load conditions. Just my guesses...

Back