Horrible gas mileage

Pulseboards

Registered
Hey all, I have a 2001 Busa. 15k miles. Stock. Bike sat for a very very long time. The tank and fuel pump were completely corroded. Cleaned the tank and replaced the pump. Changed the plugs and oil. The bike runs fine, but I'm only getting 19 mpg around town. I was babying the throttle as much as I possibly could. Grandmas were passing me.

Air valve opens on target. No hoses are kinked.

Please help me out!

i would bet the injectors are not clean and the fuel filter.

It doesn't explain 19 MPG, but I know when I changed the plugs on my '06 and watched the gas mileage thingy on the dash it would drop from 50 to 45 MPG until I got about 1000 miles on the plugs. I always figured the bike was having to relearn. The '08 doesn't have this ability, but i really don't worry about it, but 19 MPG is bad.

Was it getting 19 before or after you changed plugs ?

I changed the plugs before I ever started it up. It had been sitting for over a year. The air filter is very clean. I pulled the injectors to inspect them, and they looked clean also. There is a fuel filter in the fuel pump that I cleaned up when I replaced the pump motor.
Is there another fuel filter somewhere?

I'm not a mechanic, but if you had fueling problems would your mileage be that low. What I'm reasoning here is that the bike is getting feed fuel. You say the air filter is great, so I'd start looking into the fire part.

I think theres a filter withing the pump. You might try running some seafoam through it to clean things up.

I think theres a filter withing the pump. You might try running some seafoam through it to clean things up.

Yep, the place to start. Now that you have done the rest, try the easiest thing first.

Back