Hopefully the Luck is in Changing

BigBSBusa

Comin' back stronger than ever!
Donating Member
Registered
Well, everyone knows that I had a lot of work done to Baby J during the last year and a lot of it I did not do. Also, a fender bender that she's recovered from quite nicely. Anyway, it's all made me very cautious about bike sounds and tightness of bolts. The last few days I've been riding her and she felt a little heavy on the front end. Don't know how else to explain it other than feeling like a heavy weight had been added to the nose section of the bike.

I also realized that lowering the front wasn't the best thing for me since I'm kinda tall. Figured I had a little time this weekend to raise the front back up and get some riding time in. Removed the aftermarket triple tree and just loosened the upper triple clamp bolts. Went to the lower triple clamp and made one good turn on each bolt and a second turn on the upper bolt on the right side and the bottom fell out. I've seen folks with lowered bikes before, but this was unreal! The top of the nose fairing was hittin' me about mid-thigh!

Now, none of the work that I have done on Baby J since I got back impacted the forks or the suspension. The only thing I've done is removed the upper triple tree and reposition it to prevent the master cylinders from tapping the windscreen at full left/right turn. Nothing to either of the triple clamps! Pulled out some tricks to get things put back together, but managed to get it done and still do a quick 120-mile ride.

Point of this story? If you can do the wrenching to your bike do it! Also, any time you do anything to the forks/suspension have the front end supported. Okay, class over.

glad she is done back together and road tested
beerchug.gif

Thanks, Kurt. Back to normal including the front end feel.

Ken, I'm really starting to believe BabyJ has some sort of curse.  I'm thinking if you pack her up and ship her to me I will perform a free exorcism for you
smile.gif
, trust me, I'm just concerned for your safety!

I'll check on shipping costs right away, Scott!
biggrin.gif
I honestly believe this was a sign that things are turning around.

I'll be waiting.
tounge.gif

So I'm not completely clueless, but do you think this is something that could have happened while actually out riding the bike? I've enver actually messed with the triples, but I'm assuming from your post you made it sound like you caught a serious problem before it happened.

If nothing else, at least you are still able to ride, still got snow on the ground here
sad.gif

I love wrenching on my Busa, but I did let someone wayyyy smarter than myself do the lowering on Caesar...I would be afraid to ride it if I'd done that mod myself!
laugh.gif

Thanks for the tip Ken...
cool.gif
tounge.gif

Out of all the bikes I have have ever had I have never lowered one.
But then again I am not a 1/4miler......
Glad your back in the GROOVE with Baby J after her little A$$ Smack!
wow.gif

I'll be waiting.
tounge.gif

So I'm not completely clueless, but do you think this is something that could have happened while actually out riding the bike?  I've enver actually messed with the triples, but I'm assuming from your post you made it sound like you caught a serious problem before it happened.

If nothing else, at least you are still able to ride, still got snow on the ground here
sad.gif
I had the forks on her polished and that is the only time they have been off the bike or even touched. My guess would be that when reinstalled they weren't torqued just tightened and the started to wiggle loose during riding. Just a guess though. Finding it was a good thing 'cause it would have sucked to have the front end drop while riding.

I love wrenching on my Busa, but I did let someone wayyyy smarter than myself do the lowering on Caesar...I would be afraid to ride it if I'd done that mod myself!  
laugh.gif

Thanks for the tip Ken...
cool.gif

tounge.gif
It's really not bad, Michelle! Now that I have some experience at it.
biggrin.gif
Unless there is a problem with the inner workings of the motor I will putting the wrench to all my bikes from here on out.

Out of all the bikes I have have ever had I have never lowered one.
But then again I am not a 1/4miler......
Glad your back in the GROOVE with Baby J after her little A$$ Smack!
wow.gif
I thought it would be a nice look, but it just wasn't comfortable. Probably won't do that again!

good class, and i will tackle anything atleast once on my bike. unfortunately, i make situations worse than before but eventually i figure it out. thanks ken
tounge.gif

Ken,I use a floor jack and I dont loosen the clamps real loose,I still keep them semi snug and use a rubber mallet.

Experience is sometimes the best teacher! It also forced me to go buy some new tools!
biggrin.gif

Back