hopefully , it wont crack my babies

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Have heard wrapping yer headers can lead to them crackin'.
Anybody ever wrap TITANIUM pipes B4 ?

I love these pipes...the titanium can only ever gets to "room temperature"....

9 pounds total weight....I gotta thank my lil' house-mouse again 2nite for buyin' me this set up.

O YA... if you ever decide to wrap yer headerz....dont buy them shiddy little stainless tie wrap things...they dont go tite enuff....and you'll just be 30 dollars thinner in yer wallet , an' pissed off too . Wait till I get a hold of those donkey-%#^*s at the parts store tomorrow . Hose clamps work better.

anyways...have a good night peepul....RSD.

header.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn man, How about I just lend you my ride for about a month and let you crank all of this stuff out for me... Mikeyusf and I were just talking about header wrap the other night.

About how long did this take and did you drop the headers? I am thinking of course you did, but I dunno...

I wouldn't think that header wrap will do anything to your Ti pipes. As you know titanium is damn near indestructable and when it comes to a high heat high stress application there isn't anything better. I would be inclined to believe that the header wrap will actually reduce the heat stresses imposed on your pipes. The wrap should hold engine heat in the head pipes longer, allowing a much more gradual cooling.

Have you noticed a reduction in under fairing temps? How about your right leg...Less heat pouring out when the fan kicks on?

Later

Damn man, How about I just lend you my ride for about a month and let you crank all of this stuff out for me...  Mikeyusf and I were just talking about header wrap the other night.  

About how long did this take and did you drop the headers?  I am thinking of course you did, but I dunno...

I wouldn't think that header wrap will do anything to your Ti pipes.  As you know titanium is damn near indestructable and when it comes to a high heat high stress application there isn't anything better.  I would be inclined to believe that the header wrap will actually reduce the heat stresses imposed on your pipes.  The wrap should hold engine heat in the head pipes longer, allowing a much more gradual cooling.  

Have you noticed a reduction in under fairing temps?  How about your right leg...Less heat pouring out when the fan kicks on?

Later
this TITANIUM stuff is pretty cool(hee hee hee) .
  Check this out Rev...my fan doesn't come on at all anymore,80 degree's out 2day,let it idle for 10 minutes, temp didnt climb above half-way .

Less of a "Hot-Foot"....

This is way-cool Rev....the muffler doesn't seem to get hotter than "room temperature"....I rode fast an' furious for an hour....the can was cooler than my armpit .

I love Titanium....

O ya....yer other Q's:  Nope , I didnt drop 'em, didn't feel the need too , althou it's pretty easy , the header is in 2 pieces .  The wrap cost 40 bucks , but there's enuff there for another application . The whole deal took an' hour .
      P.S.  Dont buy them cool lookin' little stainless ties for header tape....their SHID...just use hose clamps...cheaper/better .

Damn man, How about I just lend you my ride for about a month and let you crank all of this stuff out for me...  Mikeyusf and I were just talking about header wrap the other night.  

About how long did this take and did you drop the headers?  I am thinking of course you did, but I dunno...

I wouldn't think that header wrap will do anything to your Ti pipes.  As you know titanium is damn near indestructable and when it comes to a high heat high stress application there isn't anything better.  I would be inclined to believe that the header wrap will actually reduce the heat stresses imposed on your pipes.  The wrap should hold engine heat in the head pipes longer, allowing a much more gradual cooling.  

Have you noticed a reduction in under fairing temps?  How about your right leg...Less heat pouring out when the fan kicks on?

Later
this TITANIUM stuff is pretty cool(hee hee hee) .
  Check this out Rev...my fan doesn't come on at all anymore,80 degree's out 2day,let it idle for 10 minutes, temp didnt climb above half-way .

Less of a "Hot-Foot"....

This is way-cool Rev....the muffler doesn't seem to get hotter than "room temperature"....I rode fast an' furious for an hour....the can was cooler than my armpit .

I love Titanium....

O ya....yer other Q's:  Nope , I didnt drop 'em, didn't feel the need too , althou it's pretty easy , the header is in 2 pieces .  The wrap cost 40 bucks , but there's enuff there for another application . The whole deal took an' hour .
      P.S.  Dont buy them cool lookin' little stainless ties for header tape....their SHID...just use hose clamps...cheaper/better .
Cool thanks for the tips...Looks like I have to go get some header wrap this weekend as well.

I did get me about 50 lbs of fireworks though, tomorrow night I am going to make things go BOOM...

Thanks for the help, as allways, I appreciate it...

I didn't waste the money on the tiny tie wraps, because they were WAAAAAAAYYYYYY overpriced. Went straight to Lowes plumbing and bought better clamps for under $5 total.

I am getting the akrapovic Titaniums and I am planning to wrap the headers... Where did you get the wrap? Are you using extra heat shielding on the lower plastic too?

-Ripper

I am getting the akrapovic Titaniums and I am planning to wrap the headers...  Where did you get the wrap?  Are you using extra heat shielding on the lower plastic too?

-Ripper
no prob with the plastics thus far...I probably wont do anything for them . I bought the header tape at my local car shop . Bought a fifty foot roll , 2in wide , have about 20-25 ft left over , so I'll do a buddies up for nuthin . Maybe I'll mail the extra over to MonsterSpeedFreak , he's a good guy.
have a good 1 Rippah....RSD.

I am getting the akrapovic Titaniums and I am planning to wrap the headers...  Where did you get the wrap?  Are you using extra heat shielding on the lower plastic too?

-Ripper
no prob with the plastics thus far...I probably wont do anything for them .  I bought the header tape at my local car shop . Bought a fifty foot roll , 2in wide , have about 20-25 ft left over , so I'll do a buddies up for nuthin . Maybe I'll mail the extra over to MonsterSpeedFreak , he's a good guy.
   have a good 1 Rippah....RSD.
cool man! Lemme know if you hear more about cracking the pipes bro.

Another option is to use stainless wire - the same stuff you wire tie the bolts with - to secure the wrap on the pipe. It is even cheaper than the radiator/hose clamps if you already have a twisting plier or vise grips.

I wrapped the pipe, then pulled the wire around the top of the tube on the wrap. Twisted it off tight and left about an inch of twists. Then I pushed it flat against the wrapped pipe and pulled the wire tight around it again and twisted it tight again. This procedure was repeated until I ran out of wire. There was about 4 "layers" or twists on each end of each down tube spaced about 1" apart. The wrap can not move now and it never needs to be re-tightened. It is much lighter than hose clamps. The down side is that you really need to have the pipes off the bike to do it cleanly. And the other downside is the wire has to be cut off to service the wrap (not that I ever will).

Back