Honda quits AMA superbike series!

bigoltool

Registered
Link

What a drag! But I suppose it was inevitable when the DMG took over the series it was the death blow!

I said it before.

104971-suzuki-pulling-out-ama-amasuperbike2.jpg

I'd say unbelievable, except that they exited F1 racing last week. Wonder why they're staying in MotoGP and WSBK? Or are they?

Just another example of Quality Reconstruction of Racing by DORA :rofl:

Welcome :welcome: to Club Racing America :laugh:

So, according to the article, the homologation situation has nothing to do with this, its purely financial?

Honda is cutting back in many areas. I don't they made a much of a showing at the dealer show this year.

I'd say unbelievable, except that they exited F1 racing last week. Wonder why they're staying in MotoGP and WSBK? Or are they?
Honda's only involvment with WSBK was through Ronald and Garret Ten Kate, no factory team. The're doing the same with Corona and Erion in whatever passes for American Superbike racing now. Don't know what happened in F1 as it's more politics than racing, but MotoGP has been Honda's main 2 wheel front for years now, don't think they'll be backing out anytime soon.
IMO they do need to get rid of Alberto Puig though.

Last edited:
I'd say unbelievable, except that they exited F1 racing last week.

Honda said they were pulling out of F1 because of the Budget (estimated at $60 to $80,000,000) . With MAJOR new engines and spec.'s next year and their awful year this year they were not in the position to expend more R&D money (meaning another $40 to $50,000,000 in rearch). Too bad, they were one of my favorite teams :(

From MCN last week

Honda considering 2009 MotoGP cuts
By Matthew Birt

MotoGP

09 December 2008 10:06

Honda has refused to confirm it will maintain its current level of involvement in MotoGP next season after the Japanese factory’s shock move to quit Formula One.

CEO and chairman Takeo Fukui dropped a bombshell last week when he announced Honda would withdraw from F1 because of the impact of the global economic crisis.

And as a result, HRC has confirmed its level of involvement in MotoGP in 2009 is “under consideration.”

HRC currently provides nearly a third of the grid for MotoGP, with the Japanese factory planning to field six of the 19 bikes in 2009.

When asked by MCN if HRC would retain that level of participation, a factory spokesman in Japan said: “We are under consideration, and cannot answer. More than we imagined, the economic crisis has had an influence on what we do.

Therefore, there is an implication for MotoGP as well. The situation is serious.”

Back