Honda Hurricane anyone?

Owned, no.
But, you will be extremely underwhelmed at the power.
Not the 1k most of us think of today.
But, it's a Honda...it'll still run after you can no longer buy gas.
I have only seen 2 on craigslist in the last however long cl has been around.
Nice rare classic. I remember when the 600 Hurricane was a "fast bike" lol

I guess it figures that Honda might make what appears to be a fine fully faired superbike only to have a mild mannered under powered engine in it. This model was before their XX wasn’t it?

I guess it figures that Honda might make what appears to be a fine fully faired superbike only to have a mild mannered under powered engine in it. This model was before their XX wasn’t it?

Wayyy before
Buy the Blackbird

The Hurricane was respectable in it's day, but no GSX1100 either

I had a white/red one, very good all round bike but I don't think it even got near 100 HP. Then I got a ZX11 and gave the Hurricane to my son and the poor CB just whimpered along. ;<)

I have a 90 that sleeps next to my hayabusa. As mentioned already its no missle compared to todays liter bikes but stock they can do high 10's in the quarter, and thats nothing to sneeze at. Remember this was 30+ years ago the hurricane was introduced, and is even heavier than a hayabusa, technically a "sport tourer" also like the busa.
Because of the more upright riding position it beats my busa in longer ride comfort.
The hurricane was the father to the blackbird and I agree with the above statement, you want the faster, more nimble carbed honda, get the blackbird:thumbsup:
But the old hurricanes sure are pretty neat nevertheless:cool:

20180620_213715.jpg

High tens? If dropped out of a mile high helicopter maybe ;<) I had a FJ1200 low tens and my CBR was more than a second slower. But it was soo Honda. (comfy, smooth, refined fit and finish, etc etc etc) By contrast the ZX11 that replaced it was rough finish but brutal power (for the day) but not as confident handling.

One of my first bikes was a 1987 Honda CBR 600 Hurricane. I had a lot of fun on it, and the red, white, and blue paint scheme looked awesome....still love that color scheme today.
After that i had a 1998 CBR1100xx (Super Blackbird). That was a great bike too.

With just about 130 horses, weighing more than a Busa, how low must it be geared to run in the 10s? What are the revs at 70? My CBX ran mid 11s but at 70 I was turning 5,000 revs.

All of my mags from that era show low 11's for quarter times. A internet search pulls up magazine reviews, specs, wiki, etc showing low 11's and the occaisional high 10 quarter mile. The guys on the hurricane forums say a sprocket change will make it easier to hit a high ten and some of those guys also claim stock gearing with a good rider and all the Gods smiling that day could get you a high 10.
This is for the hurricane 1000, aka cbr1000f.
I dont know much about the hurricane 600's.
I know even less about the 750's except they are supposebly the quickest and most desireable from a collectibility standpoint. Supposebly they where only sold in asia

Personally looks clean except behind front wheel on engine cases.
As far as 1/4 mile it's not always POWER!
A 130 hp bike / heavy front end = lack of wheelies can make for a strong 60 foot number and good 330. Those are places the high hp short wheel base, and wheelie prone bikes suffer. I could run mid tens { 10.69} @ 129 mph on a 121 hp Fjr1300. Due to 60 " wheel base I left hard and stayed in it.
The Black bird is Kool but to much like the Busa. Knowing Wusacbxrdr likes old school I'm thinking the Hurricane is right up his alley.
Also easy to service v's CBX carbs / engine overhaul he was worried about in future.

With just about 130 horses, weighing more than a Busa, how low must it be geared to run in the 10s? What are the revs at 70? My CBX ran mid 11s but at 70 I was turning 5,000 revs.

And like a ding dong I never answered your question:D
I dont remember off the top my head what my revs are at 70. This is a low mile ultra clean example so I just use it for the occasional sunday spirited cruise and bike nights. I rode it a week ago to work and next ride I'll check and make a note of it:thumbsup:

Personally looks clean except behind front wheel on engine cases.
As far as 1/4 mile it's not always POWER!
A 130 hp bike / heavy front end = lack of wheelies can make for a strong 60 foot number and good 330. Those are places the high hp short wheel base, and wheelie prone bikes suffer. I could run mid tens { 10.69} @ 129 mph on a 121 hp Fjr1300. Due to 60 " wheel base I left hard and stayed in it.
The Black bird is Kool but to much like the Busa. Knowing Wusacbxrdr likes old school I'm thinking the Hurricane is right up his alley.
Also easy to service v's CBX carbs / engine overhaul he was worried about in future.

Another plus is how little they can be picked up for. Even low mile super clean hurricanes like mine arent worth much at all, or at least from what I have noticed. Seems like the super nice ninjas and gsxr's from the 80's are finally starting to build some collector value though

I traded in my new 87' 750R ninja for a new 87' cbr1000F Hurricane in 1987. In 1990 I found a 88' New as a left over. Bought that also. 1987 fastest bike at I believe 161 mph. Nice cruise bike. Kinda heavy. Now there's 600's that eat it...

Back