Homemade TRE?

if you have the knowlage to make it go for it and if it works I'll probabally buy 1 from you

im pretty good with electrical stuff. i was thinking of using this method.. i might just make it like the ones they sell on the market with the casing and connectoers though...

Schematics please!
smile.gif

(justtight @ Sep. 14 2007,02:18) is there any in production yet. the home made version?
havent started it yet.. dont know whether to make it a switched non switched and radio shack doesnt sell the 6.8k resistors seperate...lol i'll bet to it soon... plus i want to get the connecters to just tap into it instead of spliceing my original ones.

I just used a 6.8K resistor and crimped a couple of small, female spade connectors on each end. Then, using a needle, I removed the black and pink pins from the ECU side of the GPS connector. Attach my TRE and wrap with electrical tape.

Oh, if you wanna get fancy, you could install a switch, but I never bothered.

1/4watt work? Or should it be 1/2watt?

Anyone remember the color scheme? I have a whole roll of 1/4watt resistors from radioshack and don't remember how to read the colors.

You don't need 1/2watt. 1/8 watt will be fine - there's very little current flow.

What omslaw said is how I did it too. Works great (191.6MPH stock = >186 limited speed!)

(BowDown @ Sep. 14 2007,11:38) 1/4watt work? Or should it be 1/2watt?

Anyone remember the color scheme? I have a whole roll of 1/4watt resistors from radioshack and don't remember how to read the colors.
Blue - Gray - Red - tolerance (gold or silver usually)

1/8 watt is plenty.

(BowDown @ Sep. 14 2007,11:32) Did you notice any issues with idle? Or any drawbacks to using a fixed homemade TRE?
correct me if im wrong but i think the only difference between HOMEMADE and STORE BOUGHT is that the home made doesnt have the STOCK PLUGS. and doesnt come in a TUBE.. unless you get them...

and you can make them AUTO. or SWITCHABLE.. the same way the store bought ones are..

http://wotid.com/tls/content/category/1/27/57/

No issues with idle. The bike used to stall occasionally but that was cured by increasing idle speed (search the org, common prob).

I noticed no difference during normal driving but on the top end was a big difference. It used to run up to about 175 and just kinda stop. After the TRE, it would just keep on pulling. More of a gentle accel curve instead of a solid stop wall.

(LB ROLLER @ Sep. 14 2007,16:10)
(BowDown @ Sep. 14 2007,11
zzwhip.gif
) Did you notice any issues with idle? Or any drawbacks to using a fixed homemade TRE?
correct me if im wrong but i think the only difference between HOMEMADE and STORE BOUGHT is that the home made doesnt have the STOCK PLUGS. and doesnt come in a TUBE.. unless you get them...

and you can make them AUTO. or SWITCHABLE.. the same way the store bought ones are..

http://wotid.com/tls/content/category/1/27/57/
Correct. If you go and buy a 'standard' TRE, you're paying for all the connectors, plastic tube, wire, heatshrink, etc.

Bottom line, it's just a 6.8K resistor.

Back