Homemade manometer FAIL (throttle body sync)

rusheriv

Registered
Pip is 4yrs old this past February and she's runs good for the most part but in the lower RPMs (1-4K) she fluctuates a bit (300-400RPM)on steady throttle. Not bad but it makes things a little hairy on low speed cornering. I put a GIpro ATRE on her thinking that would clear things up but didn't change a thing. So seeing as she’s got almost 15K miles on her and not knowing if the prior owner had her tuned, I’m now attempting to sync the throttle bodies. After some online shopping I find that a real manometer is $100+ so I started searching the web for alternatives and came across many a post on successfull tunes using a homemade manometer with pics and directions. Looked pretty straight forward and the posts here about TB syncing made for what looked to be child’s play.

1st Attempt:
Hey! I've got some clear flexible tubing lying around the house so I made a big "U", put come 2cycle oil in it, stripped back the bike, brought it up to temp, hooked tubes up to TBs #1-#2 and started tweaking the screw. Low and behold after tinkering with them for about 10 minutes I notice that the tubing hooked up to the TBs has collapsed. Apparently the heat from the engine has softened the tubing. Damn it!

So I go to my local pet supply and get some aquarium air hose that feels stiffer, got some rigid tubing and a 4 valve setup thinking I'd make something that'd be yards better. I figured with the 4 valve setup they could turn on or off as needed. Great, right?

2nd Attempt:
Put it all together, drained the oil from my prior failure into the new contraption, used some colored tape to pair the hoses and hooked it up to the bike. After about a couple minutes I notice a little air bubble coming up in tube #1, take a closer look, feel the valve and there's oil on it. I figure it can't be too bad, it's just a little bubble right? Maybe some air was in the valves. So I'm tuning and watching the "manometer", there's now several bubbles in #1, and the tubing has heated up so it's begun closing up at the TBs again. Damn it all!!

Here's some cell pics ... yeah yeah laugh it up!
Photo_041310_001.jpgPhoto_041310_002.jpg
Photo_041310_003.jpgPhoto_041310_004.jpg

3rd Attempt:
Went to the autoparts place and got some actual vacuum tubing.

That's as far as I've gotten so far. "Honey do" list got in the way. :whistle:

The next step is to ditch the 4 valve setup and return to the prior "U" arrangement but this time I'll use the rigid tubing, making two pairs with the vacuum tube connecting them together and then to the TBs. That'll allow me to sync #1-#2, #3-#4, disconnect then sync #1 to #4.

At this point I've wasted about $20 on tubing and the valve so I'm hoping this will be the magic ticket, else I'll be buying a real manometer. And I'm hoping when all synced Pip will be purring like a kitten.

Photo_041310_001.jpg

Photo_041310_002.jpg

Photo_041310_003.jpg

Photo_041310_004.jpg

Going to the bash? If so, we can get; em knocked out then - and even have an extra manometer to send home with you... Mercury though - so be carefull!

There has to be a reason they use Mercury for that gauge. Maybe the oil is your problem? Just thinking out loud...

Before you throw that thing away list it as a bong on eBay !
Get 100 bucks from one of the same idiots that's doing butt hash !
:rofl:

I would agree with Ace . If factory made meters comes with mercury it's for a reason.
The friction and viscosity properties between the two could not be farther apart.
Mercury flows faster than water or anything that I know of .
Carries itself leaving nothing behind .
No oil will ever act the same as that .

Back