Homemade airshifter?

I have built some heat recovery units with air actuated dampers and we obtained parts from McMaster Carr and Grainger, I know they have the parts but not sure of the specifics on air cylinder, solinoid, ect.

More or less I have, but you cant beat Matt at Cycle-tec's prices. He's got it all figured out for you from the get go.:thumbsup:

I put mine together from them - saved a fair amount of $$$ - but I also built my own custom bracket for the air shifter and had a bottle already. if you want to run a high pressure system the biggest cost is the air regulator. they will run about 40$ and are nothing more than an "autococker" for a paintball gun and use a 10/32 air fitting. last year i ran a low pressure system and just filled with an air compressor after every round.

This year i am moving up to a high pressure system but using a 3000 PSI tank and filling off my old scuba tanks.

the hard part about buying off grainger is the air cylinders. you can get any size any stroke... sometimes buying that from someone who already figured it out is the easy part - but may cost you a bit more.

Thanks for the info, times are tough and trying to save a few bucks and I like building things myself anyway, I'm going to try running the bike at esta drags and would sure like to be as consistant as possible.

For the air tank you can use a 9 oz paint ball tank and one of the ASA shutoffs A lot cheaper than the $100 they want for the aluminum bottles.

Academy....new bottle and fill....$20

IMG_0102 (2).jpg

IMG_0103 (2).jpg

IMG_0104 (2).jpg

Very nice and ty for the pics, I have seen a vertical mount but like the way yours looks better

The problem with a CO2 system is the cost of a regulator. The proper regulator that i prefer is 70$ from Palmer's Pursuit. (and the fact that you need a pressure gauge to measure output pressure) Its the same one that MPS and Schnitz is selling. Also - MPS sells a replacement top for the CO2 bottles so you can make any co2 bottle a low pressure system. you have a very nice system other than the high dollar shifter mount. not to criticize - but if you moved your air switch closer to your shift cylinder - you could lower your shift kill time. Mine is about 6 inches from my cylinder.....

The problem with a CO2 system is the cost of a regulator. The proper regulator that i prefer is 70$ from Palmer's Pursuit. (and the fact that you need a pressure gauge to measure output pressure) Its the same one that MPS and Schnitz is selling. Also - MPS sells a replacement top for the CO2 bottles so you can make any co2 bottle a low pressure system. you have a very nice system other than the high dollar shifter mount. not to criticize - but if you moved your air switch closer to your shift cylinder - you could lower your shift kill time. Mine is about 6 inches from my cylinder.....

Got any pics of yours? I am curious of the switch location.
The kit I have was bought used for $50...the bracket costs more than that new.:thumbsup:

I have a home made bracket (had some spare AL sitting around) and some longer bolts. I have pics - just gotta find them.

OK here is the pics - they are old and dont show the switch but it shows the length of the tube and the shifter bracket. The air switch is zip tied to the overflow tank on the backside. - also i know its dirty - its clean now!

101_2454.jpg

For those of you who have the Muzzy type bracket that bolts behind the footpeg brackets:

Do you use your stock bolts or do you need longer ones?? I paid to have my bolts chromed and hate to just throw them away to use that type of bracket...

For those of you who have the Muzzy type bracket that bolts behind the footpeg brackets:

Do you use your stock bolts or do you need longer ones?? I paid to have my bolts chromed and hate to just throw them away to use that type of bracket...

stock bolts:beerchug:

so let me see if i understand this, a high pressure system allows more shifts per bottle refill, will it also allow a shorter kill time? Hell if im gonna do this i might as well hook it up as good as it can be.

hey iceman there is something really cool about your mount design that i didnt think about, moving the clevis of the cylinder rod towards the pivot point of the shifter has to make for a faster shift, dam it is also less parts and more simple, I'm sold now

for shorter kill times you need the air switch closer to the cylinder. the high pressure system will allow for MANY more shifts but comes at a higher cost with regulators, pressure gauges and chance of a missed shift due if your bottle runs out and your not paying attention to it. with my low pressure system i filled before EVERY round. just picked up a 48 cubic inch 3000 PSI paintball tank. should get me many shifts on that guy....

I have run a low pressure system since 05 and the only problem I have EVER had was the cheaper compressors failing. Bought a small Slime compressor and left the housing on it and it has run with no probs

Thanks for the answer, BlueHaya:beerchug:

Back