Home Window Tint

Djxtrodinaire

Registered
Homeowners!

Has anyone installed tint on their home windows and glass doors?

Wondering if its worth it.

The back of the house gets most of the Sunlight and would love to at least reduce the trapped heat.

Unfortunately new windows is out of the question. :poke:

Any recommendation? tint type?

It is worth it, just like on a car it will combat the heat and block UV rays that will fade carpet/wood floors and/or furniture. In FL I have a friend who does this for a living, he also offers an outside lining that is a good seller due to hurricanes, if something were to break the window it keeps the window in tact instead of the window shattering and contaminating the area with debris and broken shards of glass. It's tough stuff. There's an area on our house where I'd like to put some tint over about 6 windows, but don't want it too dark because it's such a nice view. :laugh: One of those things on the list of "when I can get around-to-it".

We have tinted a few windows and doors and it has worked very well for us. We used Limo tint.

I wanted to try it. Unfortunately I have double pane windows. It was not recommended due to heat build up between the panes and the resulting pressure could/probably will break the seal and or crack the glass. I was not willing to risk it.

I tinted a couple windows on my house; have double pane glass and years later, no issues.

did my entire house except slidng glass door makes a huge difference. no one can see in during the day but at night just like a untinted window. I got the film from lowes just make sure u clean around the windows b4 u try it or u will get lots of dust on the film:thumbsup:

this is what i do for a living everyone's answers are right on the money. keep out the uv light which harms all fabric in your house and keep out heat as far as double pane windows if you get the stuff from lowes read on it some are rated for double pane windows some are not. make sure you clean everything really well. if you think its clean enough clean it one more time with a single edge razor start at the op of the glass (gravity is your freind here) and work your way down then spray lightly the window ans then peel liner and spry till its soaking wet. then apply. start squeege from the top and work your way down. now ifor got to tell about cutting the right size when i do them i cut the whole piece about and inch to two inches oversize so when i squeege it out i have some hang over then take a hard card (get it at lowes also) and but it up against the wiindow edge. then put your knife blade against the glass touching the hard card then drag the card and the blade from the top of one edge of the window down to the bottom of the window and repeat on all sides. then go over the whole window with the hard card, starting in the middle of the window and work everything to the edges and now your done

soryy for the long read if you do it enough it becomes natural to do and i can do a four bedroom house top to bottom in a day with one other person as a helper

I did my house. It really lowered the temps inside. Cheep to do, and so cost effective. Do it, you will be glad that you did. :thumbsup:

Use soapy water when applying tint. If you use glass cleaner the amonia and other chemicals will cause the tint to fade, it's a common mistake.

I tinted my last house w/bluish mirror tint (blue house). Nobody can see in during daytime & made a HUGE difference in keeping the heat out. House looked cool too.

Well Got the back windows done and definitely I can tell the difference.
Chrome Mirror Tint 20% The sunlight is definitely is not radiating as hot as before.

I will definitely do the rest of the house also. :thumbsup:

These pics are before the tint.

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

You doing it yourself or having some one come in to do it? I had a big bay window quoted out at $750 and pretty much dropped that idea. I am now looking at a do it yourself kit for about $200 for the same bay. The tint is still great quality, I will have to take my time to do it. I have done a couple of cars before, so a nice big flat window should not be a problem.

Are there any specific brands to seek out? Aside from custom car shops...it would seem that there would be some internet supply shop.

find a place that does residential tinting and ask if you can buy some, may be a bit more expensive than lowes or home depot but quality is everything
brands that are good, solar guard, suntek,3m brand.

Back