Home security system advice

rpm9001

Donating Member
Registered
Looking for advice on a home security system. Looking to monitor 3 entrance doors and 10 windows, and garage door. also would like to install fire alarm. Need it to have a phone dialer. I do not want a a monitor service,

Looking to do install myself, but have no idea what system is good.
anyone install one that they have had good luck with? what thing should I stay away from? things to look for? any help would be great.

Feel free to add any comments about home systems.. I'm lost at this point.

Geo

<!--EDIT|rpm9001
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149643946 -->

There are a lot of gadgets out there. I did a full automation/security/fire system when I was building. It really is the shizzle. I used a HAI controller with different motions, contacts, and light switches.
To get an idea of what is available try Smarthome.com

Looking for advice on a home security system.  Looking to monitor 3 entrance doors and 10 windows, and garage door.  also would like to install fire alarm.   Need it to have a phone dialer.  I do not want a a monitor service,

anyone install one that they have had good luck with?  what thing should I stay away from?  things to look for?  any help would be great.

Geo
That's been my line of work since I left the Air Force in 1990, PM me with any questions and I'll help all I can.

Kevin

*****EDIT***** I looked at the site linked in the above post and personally I would stick with the systems more commonly used in business.

Ademco is probably the most widely used, many companies use Ademco with their own company branding on them. Radionics is great also but not as easy to program without a special programmer or software.

<!--EDIT|Relsek
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149645341 -->

Relsek, do you get into the automation as well? I have barely scratched the surface of it. Would love to get into install/consulting when I retire.

<!--EDIT|PDBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149645440 -->

Relsek, do you get into the automation as well? I have barely scratched the surface of it. Would love to get into install/consulting when I retire.
Not so much the home automation, but I don't really do any residential stuff anymore.

I did a system thiis past year that ran in the multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars, utilizing card access, fire alarm, burglar alarm, camera systems and intercom systems.

If it can be done, I can do it.

Kevin

Thanks for the info,
System will be used in a house built in the 20's It is only 1 floor. I was leaning to the Ademco systems, but trying to figure out whayt one. Not looking for anything crazy...just need to cover a few doors and windows with a phone dialer.

How hard is the install on a Ademco system? I should of done this when I re wired the house... Also best place to order from..

Thanks
Geo

Thanks for the info,
System will be used in a house built in the 20's It is only 1 floor.   I was leaning to the Ademco systems, but trying to figure out whayt one.  Not looking for anything crazy...just need to cover a few doors and windows with a phone dialer.

How hard is the install on a Ademco system?  I should of done this when I re wired the house...   Also best place to order from..

Thanks
Geo
The major supplier is ADI, I don't know if you'll be able to buy from them or not. I think they only sell wholesale. If you can't, let me know. I'm sure we can work something out. The programming is easy if you know what you are doing.

If you can't get it, just let me know what you need, maybe I can pick it up, program it and send it to you.

I'll be out of town from june 9-16.

relsek,
Thanks.. Can you recomend a system that will cover 3 entrance doors, 7 windows , 2 glass break sensor's (non opening large window's) garage door (non attached) and 3 non opening small basement windows. A option for smoke detector is a plus. I would like to just order a "kit" with most everything due to not knowing what goes with what system. this way I know wvwrything will work together.

I think this is well in my ability to install, I just never did it before, or ever looked into it.

Thanks for the help.

Geo

I have one from Ratshack that worked really good but have yet to bother installing since moving to my new house.
It was a $200 kit that they always put on sale for $99.  It came with 2 remote wireless door sensors and one wireless motion sensor.  You could add a ton of additional sensors for more doors and windows.  The control box looks like a fancy phone and has 2 really loud piezzo sirens.  When the alarm goes off it turns on a lamp anywhere in the house (included wireless module) and dials several stored numbers and then plays your pre recorded message.  It has two different remotes, one is large with a many buttons which can be used to turn on lights provided you have more remote modules and it has a delay entry and exit timer.  The other remote is a keychain deal...you can arm and disarm your house like a car from outside.  System also has battery backup so even if the power is out you'll still get a siren and a phone call.

It doesn't do fire but it's cheap and effective against intruders and when on sale for $99 bucks you can't beat the price.  Only complaint I've had is the motion sensor has a tendency to pick up on pets even if the mode switch is set to "pet".  Keeping it higher up towards the ceiling will work as long as you don't have an animal that climbs stuff.

Forgot to mention, the system has a built in mic so that when it calls you, you can hit a touchtone key which will silence the sirens and then you can listen in on your house to hear if there's any activity going down.

<!--EDIT|Turbo-Torch
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149649015 -->

relsek,
Thanks..   Can you recomend a system that will cover  3 entrance doors, 7 windows , 2 glass break sensor's (non opening large window's)  garage door (non attached) and 3 non opening small basement windows.  A option for smoke detector is a plus.   I would like to just order a "kit" with most everything due to not knowing what goes with what system.  this way I know wvwrything will work together.

I think this is well in my ability to install, I just never did it before, or ever looked into it.

Thanks for the help.

Geo
If you go wireless, just about any ademco system, from the vista 20 on up will work. All their systems can have zones added to cover all you will need if you want hardwired. Wireless is more expensive, but easier to install. (not as much wire to run) Hardwired is more maitenance free. (no transmitter batteries to change) Multiple devices can be grouped together and is the norm.

A vista 20 with a zone expander will give you 16 zones, you can program some of them as fire zones as well (some building codes do not allow fire devices on a non- fire system) I don't know what your codes require so take my word for meeting code, I'm just letting you know what the system is capable of.

Here is the ADI website. You can download a pdf of all their products.

The PDF

It looks like all their product bear the name Honeywell now.

<!--EDIT|Relsek
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149648335 -->

Looking for advice on a home security system.  Looking to monitor 3 entrance doors and 10 windows, and garage door.  also would like to install fire alarm.   Need it to have a phone dialer.  I do not want a a monitor service,

anyone install one that they have had good luck with?  what thing should I stay away from?  things to look for?  any help would be great.

Geo
That's been my line of work since I left the Air Force in 1990, PM me with any questions and I'll help all I can.

Kevin

*****EDIT***** I looked at the site linked in the above post and personally I would stick with the systems more commonly used in business.

Ademco is probably the most widely used, many companies use Ademco with their own company branding on them. Radionics is great also but not as easy to program without a special programmer or software.
+ 1, I own an install company now. We do alarms, internet, camera's etc. I agree Ademco isnt bad for the $$. More reliable panels.

jD

Back