Home Made Ramp

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
I needed a ramp for Busabash, I have a small Tacoma Pickup, it doesn't have a lot of extra room once the bike is loaded. I spent a lot of time looking online and could not find a ramp that met all my needs.

I decided to make my own ramp out of (3) 2"￾x12"￾x8' planks. Weight is concentrated on the center plank, so it would need to be reinforced, also traction is critical there.Center Section has an aluminum box for added strength, I got this box from an old ramp, a friend gave to me years ago.

At first I thought of hinging the three planks, but it made more sense to leave them separate (for storage flexibility). I ratchet tie them together when in use.

The steel top ramp brackets (Northern Tool) are rated at 750lbs, so I doubled them on the center plank. The Ultra Anti Slip grate, I got from McMaster-Carr, it was $109.00 and a additional $68.00 to truck, since it was too big for U.P.S.

I used my laminate trimmer (small router) to cut some ¼"￾deep traction grooves in the outside ramp. Sealed the wood with Olympic maximum waterproofing sealant (Lowes, 24.00/gal.)

Total cost was a little over $300.00, I think it will work well.

500Overall.jpg

As 3 separate planks, I'm flexible on how I store them around the Busa.

500Storage.jpg

Yes good job on the ramp looks good
beerchug.gif
and all but do you know you could have went out and bought a ramp that is capable of supporting 1000 Lbs for the price you built that ramp for I have one in my garage right now I paid $200 for and it folds in half and fits in my S-10 with the bike loaded.

beerchug.gif
 and all but do you know you could have went out and bought a ramp that is capable of supporting 1000 Lbs for the price you built that ramp for I have one in my garage right now I paid $200 for and it folds in half and fits in my S-10 with the bike loaded.
S-10 I think is simailar in size to Tacoma? I found some hinged ones along the same price range but none that could be lower than the top of the bed, and 8' in length. Maybe I didnt look hard enough. Send a pic if possible, Thanks.

beerchug.gif
S-10 I think is simailar in size to Tacoma? I found some hinged ones along the same price range but none that could be lower than the top of the bed, and 8' in length. Maybe I didnt look hard enough. Send a pic if possible, Thanks.
Not sure if the one I have is 8' but I just back mine up to a low spot and load the bike. The ramp does sit pretty flush with the tail gate

One thing we sometimes fail to mention...I've made many things to accomodate my bike for various reasons......is the fun and satisfaction when you create it yourself! Especially with ramps, mass produced ones always seem to need to be just ONE FOOT longer....yours is!
Good job! BTW, don't forget to put a little piece of plywood under your kickstand so you don't damage your bedliner (some don't, but I transport with stand down). Enjoy...Raydog

One thing we sometimes fail to mention...I've made many things to accomodate my bike for various reasons......is the fun and satisfaction when you create it yourself! Especially with ramps, mass produced ones always seem to need to be just ONE FOOT longer....yours is!
Good job! BTW, don't forget to put a little piece of plywood under your kickstand so you don't damage your bedliner (some don't, but I transport with stand down).   Enjoy...Raydog
Great input!, Kickstand down, seems to make sense to have 3 points of contact. I had intended to get a locking front wheel chock. Even with a chock, I guess you could have kickstand down with a 4x4 or something underneath?

BTW, if I remember, when I get home I'll send you a couple of pics of my Busa in my GMC Sonoma, tailgate is fine for transport. Raydog

Back