Home Depot Patons: BEWARE

bisquit61

Registered
Well they got me. I was checking my bank account online Saturday and I noticed that someone had used my ATM card to the tune of 500.(max for 1 day) I thought maybe it was a bank mistake but I noticed that it was in York Pa. I'm in Ga. By this time the banks were all closed so I had the card shut down before any other damage was done. Just to see whether I had access to the rest of my money I went to the ATM machine and found that they changed my pin number. Now I'm worried about how much more info the scumbags have like my account number. So I have to wait until Monday morning to talk to someone about what safeguards I can apply. First thing that came to mind was Home Depot's breech. I use them quite a bit with my ATM. Learned my lesson on using the ATM. BASTARDS!!!!!

Bank called me to let me know they were canceling my card because it was used someplace that had a breach. Wouldn't say where, but it was right about the time of the home depot breach and I had shopped there before it was made public. Luckily there was no charges on my card.

Sorry to hear you got smacked. Bank will straighten it out for you, just a pain to have to go through the process.

To add to my Card story...

The bank called and told me they were canceling my card and that they were going to send a new one. Well week goes by and call them up to check to see if the card had been sent out and the woman I talked to over the phone said they never put in a request to have a new one sent out. So they over night a card to me and it comes which was on a Friday and mail comes late in afternoon around my house. So card is here called to activate it and can't use it anyplace like getting cash from ATM and such because the pin number was changed. Now when I talked to the woman over the phone she asked if I was keeping the same pin number and I told her yes. Well they changed it anyways. So now I have limited use of my card till Monday when bank opens. Didn't have time to get to bank on Monday and Tuesday and well the new pin number comes in mail Tuesday afternoon. Still need to Change it to a more suitable Pin. Fun Fun...

Just to update my story: Went to bank today and told my story. Lady automatically asked whether I had been to Home Depot. She said that for the last week and a half people have been coming in for the same thing. She had me fill out a few forms(investigation) and made another ATM card with new pin. She said they will try to get my money credited back to my account in four days. I guess it could have been worse. I think I got a little too comfortable using my ATM everywhere. I'm going back to using mostly cash.

Sorry for your trouble, but glad it ain't worse. I've avoided ATM use anywhere except at inside/non-isolated registers (such as grocery stores). Although I hate to cost retailers the associated fees, I would much rather put the banks credit (my credit cards) at risk rather than MY actual CASH (ATM/Debit) cards.

Best of luck!

Lifelock probably has a hand in all the breaches,, you know, create a demand for their product that wasn't doing very well on start-up,, :whistle:

dont know wat home depot has to do with anything. if anything ur less likely to get skimmed at home cheap then anywhere else. we have a home depot in the city I work in and have never heard of that happening there. its more likely to happen at a grocery store, mall or any ATM that isn't located at a bank. ppl place skimmers and cameras at all kinds of ATM's. you have to watch out for this every time u use ur ATM

I high doubt ur fraud came from home depot

dont know wat home depot has to do with anything. if anything ur less likely to get skimmed at home cheap then anywhere else. we have a home depot in the city I work in and have never heard of that happening there. its more likely to happen at a grocery store, mall or any ATM that isn't located at a bank. ppl place skimmers and cameras at all kinds of ATM's. you have to watch out for this every time u use ur ATM

I high doubt ur fraud came from home depot

Look it up online. You must not have heard of their breach.

Yep got a letter from my bank about the Home Depot security breach said I can get a new card or change my PIN. It also says that Home Depot is now offering free credit protection services and monitoring for anyone who used an debit card from April forward and gives the link to activate it. Think I'm going to start using cash as well.:duh:

We have had a few breaches affect Canadian users as well though not a many as many as in the States as most Canadian banks issue cards that use a micro-chip or radio chip or both, virtually no one uses the mag stripe any more. That said Citi Financial, the issuer of Home Depot cards has not gone to the new technology yet. This might have made the breach easier to perpetrate. Just a guess.

I got the same warning from my credit union yesterday. basically if ever used ur CC at home depot their notifying you. they didn't take any money so I think its a lot of precautionary measures with very few actual breaches.

I got the same warning from my credit union yesterday. basically if ever used ur CC at home depot their notifying you. they didn't take any money so I think its a lot of precautionary measures with very few actual breaches.

A cost of over 60million so far...

Back