home builts

hawkwind racing

Registered
G'day ,are there any totally homebuilt turbo busa's out there ? Im interested in getting in touch with their owners ,by totally home built I mean no kits or off the shelf bolt ons ,here in Australia there is only a very small number of us backyard butchers ,I mean builders and a big hello to all the landspeed racers
Gary (hawkwind racing )
smile.gif

Cool site you have, looks like it doesnt get much updating.

Sorry I have no information regarding a Turbo (free bump)

Thanks for that heavybusa,yes I really should get and update that site  
wink.gif
If anyone is interested I started a build diary on Jon Amo's Landracing.com site ,cool bloke ,cool site  http://www.landracing.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?y=1399
I also see my mate and fellow salt racer  Ozbooster posts here as well , he has helped me greatly in my first and current turbo project, I spose you could say I jumped in at the deap end ,,hopefully I can achieve my aim of equalling or topping the current landspeed record held by John Noonan (speedking) ,well its back out to the shed to continue ,avagoodweekend,Magus what are you planning ,would be interested in learning more
smile.gif

Gary
smile.gif

smile.gif

three words of advice

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, get some bandaids....

but seriously, there is a lot of work that you dont really see in the kit. not hard work, but tedious. lots of parts you need to get, mostly odds and ends. make lists of parts you need and THINK you may need. i think i went to the same store like 8 times until i got what i needed, for like 4 stores.

yeah, still waiting on dyno, should be done tomorrow...i know i have said that one before, but i talked to them today, and i will try and get a vid tomorrow and take it to the track!! yeehaw! well, all i can say is do a lot of research. read install manuals for the ghetto kit, like 5 times, then maybe once more for good riddance. look at every build and read every post of all the problems they had and solutions to their problems. it can be done, but make sure you are confident in doing so. go through the steps in your head and list every part you can, like if it was the oil:

feedline (and where you want it to start, several locations are ok): need the adaptor to the block point that you tap from, need AN fittings to connect this to the adaptor, need thread sealer for those threads, need a 90 deg fitting if it will go under body work, need high pressure oil line, how much oil line, need another AN fitting for turbo side, need adaptor for oil line to turbo side, need drain tube for turbo, need gacket for this peice, need teflon hose from there, need oil drain AN fitting for pan, need drill-bit to drill pan.....

see, a lot a crap parts in there, but nothing to hard and nothing that really isn't mysterious. found most parts at local performance shop (after many trips for parts i forgot). but i didnt have to look at a list someone had made to go from there, i did that list from memory. once you can list off all the parts you will need from top to bottom, then should be good. or just start and go. either way will get ya there, just depends how much down time you want...

good luck
smile.gif

Nice Work!!! and thanks for the confidence builder, Your project pics have helped me"jump in the deep end" and start my own home build. Even though many people dont recomend it, the satisfaction of doing it yourself should be great.
beerchug.gif

(hawkwind racing @ Oct. 06 2006,15:36) Thanks for that heavybusa,yes I really should get and update that site
wink.gif
If anyone is interested I started a build diary on Jon Amo's Landracing.com site ,cool bloke ,cool site http://www.landracing.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?y=1399
I also see my mate and fellow salt racer Ozbooster posts here as well , he has helped me greatly in my first and current turbo project, I spose you could say I jumped in at the deap end ,,hopefully I can achieve my aim of equalling or topping the current landspeed record held by John Noonan (speedking) ,well its back out to the shed to continue ,avagoodweekend,Magus what are you planning ,would be interested in learning more
smile.gif

Gary
smile.gif
good luck with beating noonan! that will be a hard task.... there is more to that bike than what meats the eye. he has weighted it, turboing isnt all that is done. there have been a number of guys that can top his power, but not his mph. at those speeds, power is of no use....reduced drag is of use.

competing with salt flat guys is like taking a butter knife to fight crocidile dundee.
lurk.gif

but then again, i am sure he was told the same thing once upon a time. and if ya dont set goals and at least TRY, you will kick yourself for not tryin.

good luck to ya man.

my turbo

smile.gif

(hawkwind racing @ Oct. 06 2006,04:13) G'day ,are there any totally homebuilt  turbo busa's out there ? Im interested in getting in touch with their owners ,by totally home built I mean no kits or off the shelf bolt ons ,here in Australia there is only a very small number of us backyard butchers ,I mean builders  and a big hello to all the landspeed racers
Gary (hawkwind racing )
smile.gif
Hey Gary,.........I am in the middle of a complete custom turbo build.  Part of my design is unique. Not to say that someone hasn't done something similiar,.....but I've never seen it. I am expecting around 250 hp,...but will probably run less on the street. I am not interested in higher horsepower. I ride the streets and I like mountain riding. I will post a few photo as I progress. As a few have mentioned,........this can be done,......but very tedious.  If you have more time than money,......get busy!!!

Yes its a PWR (made in Australia) ,they made me an odd size special ,I believe im the first to use one on a motorcycle ,how was it on your car ? interested in any info you could tell me on how well it performed ,and what sizepump did you use for th water supply ?
Cheers
Gary

(OZBooster @ Oct. 16 2006,15:45) Progressing well Gary  
smile.gif

There's a guy in Canada that fitted a PWR unit on his bike but is still to finish the build.
http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=44907.60
Pity there such an akward shape.
G'day Greg ,thanks man . I had a look at that frankenbusa,he is using the smallest unit they make 4" dia X 6" long ,which I was looking at but its flow capacity was to low , the one I have is 8" dia x 6" length ( thats the core only ) flows up to 900+ CFM , yes its a tough bugger to find a place for it to live , only place was where I have it and that was because of the 38 deg rake ,progress is very slow at present , making full bodywork from scratch is ,shall we say time consuming , all is now made except for the false tank , finished the front guard last W/e ,ordered the microtech LT10 as they have the crank /cam sensors sorted
Gary

Be interesting to see how the LT10s goes.

Hope to get some more bodywork done on mine in the next few weeks, just waiting for things to quieten down with work.

I am doing a homebuilt.
I have used a stock headder to build the turbo headder.
It is flanged and turbo mounted for fit.

I still need to do some weld grinding before is gets coated.

I picked up a Garrett M24 for 150$ (off a 2.1 ponti bonni) and it is in real good shape (a tree fell on the car with 65K miles and ran perfectly)

I am only looking for about 6 psi now.

I have a bunch of questions I will post in another thread.

-JH

Back