HOLY CRAP!

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
I leave my TV on channel 11 [PBS] most of the time because of the beautiful free braodcast HD programming. While ignoring it most of the time, some crazy documentary just caught my attention, claiming such wierd ideas like:

- buying and reading the Sunday paper replaces religion and the reading of it only serves to show people how NOT well off they are via Ads for stuff they can't afford, pictures of people [women] too pretty for reality

- "Wealth" is relative and society bases success on MONEY COUNT, and not on true happiness. Therefore, those with little can be MORE WEALTHY then people with money

So, this guys goes in search of people who live by different ideals. And finds them. They are covering a variety of people that end up leading this guy to write a book called "Status Axiety"
By Alain de Botton
Published May 2004
How much of our self-image is determined by the attentions or disregard of others? Probably more than we care to admit. The author examines the causes of status anxiety and proposes solutions. As with his earlier books, de Botton includes many examples from art and literature to illustrate his thesis.

What would you do if you weren't brought up materialistic? Yes... you were whether you know it, like it or not, it's true. For me too. I live in this world like anybody else.

But, I've often stated that perhaps the very things we constantly chase until our death is exactly the things that keep up unhappily running after things that don't satisfy.

And that life for us really only exists to feed these fours needs: nourishment, sleep, sex and laughter [laughter encompassing living with firends, having a good time, enjoying being alive] and anything NOT feeding those four is a waste of a life. Like work, to earn money, to by stuff.... what's that popular phrase.... "We work too long and too hard to get more money to buy overpirced stuff to impress people we don't even life."

Or something like that.

I'm often interested in how many people work to be "successful" with their main goal of "Buying a house out in the country" --- it's like deep down, they KNOW they want to connect to nature, NOT technology and city life filled with empty, hateful people.

Very very interesting perspective in this show.

If you dig philosophical mumbo jumbo, try to find this show, or check out the book.

Not too distant of a connection, but most of my philosophy is directly connected to Christianity: meek inheirit the earth, the strong are powerless and the quiet are powerful, etc etc etc

"I have no interest in racing with rats"

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF MONEY DIDN'T DEFINE YOU?

I'd be killing buffalo with my friends for food for our family, and leading the singing at the community table when everyone gets together at nightly dinner!

OOP! I forgot the part where I believe the lifestyle based on materism and money pursit is "The Big Lie" propogated by the all leading "Evilness" [call that whatever you want] as listed in the Bible. Some movie said something like, "The best thing Satan ever did was convincing you he didn't exist"

The Matrix has you

all_coholic.gif

Money doesn't define me...it's the stuff money buys that helps though...
laugh.gif

Sounds interesting, but I'd have to see it to fully understand the point
smile.gif

Oh, and it's all moral decay...even PBS because I have to pay to see that channel...it's like some seedy secret channel just a few notches from that Playboy channel...

I feel dirty...
wow.gif

you have to PAY to get PBS? just get an Antenna! hahahahaha

yeah, my post seemed to wander - the show was more explanative.

The thing I see is that it is hard to NOT be materialistic when everybody else is. You have to play along to a degree to have any friends and common interests.

It all goes back to that tree of life or knowledge thing... I'd take LIFE over knowledge any day of the week. You can fill yourself with knowledge from birth till death [school, work, hobbies] and call it a life, but does knowledge absorbtion and retention bring you happiness? What does? Maybe laughing with a loved one or playing with your children.... why not make THAT your life instead of knowledge?

[SHAKES HEAD VIOLENTLY] BUUGAB UUGA BUGGA!!

too deep. brain just exploded. ........too much thinking, not enough 'LIVING'! HA

(WWJD @ Jan. 09 2007,13:10) you have to PAY to get PBS?  just get an Antenna!  hahahahaha

yeah, my post seemed to wander - the show was more explanative.

The thing I see is that it is hard to NOT be materialistic when everybody else is.  You have to play along to a degree to have any friends and common interests.

It all goes back to that tree of life or knowledge thing...  I'd take LIFE over knowledge any day of the week.  You can fill yourself with knowledge from birth till death [school, work, hobbies] and call it a life, but does knowledge absorbtion and retention bring you happiness?  What does?  Maybe laughing with a loved one or playing with your children.... why not make THAT your life instead of knowledge?

[SHAKES HEAD VIOLENTLY]  BUUGAB UUGA BUGGA!!

too deep.   brain just exploded.   ........too much thinking, not enough 'LIVING'!  HA
I hate the word "materialistic"...goes back to one Christmas when I was still a teen, Dad takes my sister and I out shopping to buy "whatever we want"...I opted to splurge and bought myself a necklace and bracelet because I love jewelry (I think it all cost $80)...my sister is sitting across from me at lunch says "you're SO materialistic" as I looked at what I'd bought, and the entire time I was thinking "wow, should I have bought this?" knowing I always feel better being more practical, saving up or spending on others instead...it hurt to have my sister acts like I'm some horrible person for doing it...to this day, that word just hits me the wrong way...

Today, my sister, a stay-at-home Mom sitting in her 4400 sq foot home (and gets upset if you just say she's got a 4000 sq foot home), as she pouts because she never gets a break from the kids and acts like her husband and his 2 jobs aren't enough to make her happy, as she whines as she always did to get the things she wants, like the new fancy car, I know who really turned out to be the materialistic one...I think it's all in how you view money, what you do with it...I can afford to buy some things if I want them, but I usually opt to take friends out for lunch or donate stuff to a charity, sock some $ away for the kids so they can buy something when they're older, go to college, etc...I work to live the lifestyle I have, hubby does the same...we're not in some marathon that's going to make us the Jones' on the block, our cars all are used and paid for, we have a modest home.  I'm no hero, just an every day person that doesn't put much to money other than it does pay the bills my kids go to bed cold and hungry...

As for keeping up with the Jones?  I don't do it...don't care to even try...Mike's got a high school education but an engineer's title, I fell in backwards in to the field I am in now with a degree in economics.  I feel like we're both fish out of water some days, then I look at our circle of friends, an accountant, a veterinarian, realtors, lawyers, boat builders, and guys that inherited Dad's million dollar business in the crabbing/fishing industry.  We're all small town where I live, humbled to some extent because I think we all gave up heading to the big city to make as much as we could, opted for the quieter life where we are all so diverse, but meet in the middle to share in some good laughs and stories of decades before...I've got friends with million dollar homes on the water and I know guys that are just making it after a divorce renting that small house down the street...I treat them the same and they do the same for me...no competition, no feeling down because you don't have what Joe Blow has...

I guess my rambling is that you can have all the money in the world and I could still view you as not materialistic...it's all in your attitude toward others and how you view yourself...I'm not stuck in the Matrix, but I feel for the ones that are...it'll be their downfall...

What in the world was I talking about?!  
laugh.gif

"But, I've often stated that perhaps the very things we constantly chase until our death is exactly the things that keep up unhappily running after things that don't satisfy."

Sounds like a Buddhist--you must first recognize the thing that is causing the pain. And most people don't--they keep inflicting the pain, thinking that when they get the next thing, or get to the next stage, it'll be gone.

Michelle, you and I think nearly identically on this subject.

Since we left California and a pretty decently lucrative pay scale, I have to say, I've been a lot happier. Money used to be a source of great stress for me but is less so now that I have so much less of it. As long as I have enough for the bills, I'm pretty sure I can be plenty content.

I don't want to have to live in a tent and hunt my own food as WWJD implied above. I like the amenities of indoor plumbing and electricity and being able to have somone else wrap my meat up for me before I bring it home.

What makes me happy at any give moment?

-Seeing the smile on my wife's face when I walk into the room
-Learning new stuff, regardless of the subject matter
-Kickin' back with a good book, a great cigar, and a shot of great cognac
-Going over to a friend's with said cigar and drink just to watch T.V., shoot pool or shoot the sh!t or whatever we care to do.
-Taking the Busa out for no reason in particular
-Looking at a completed job with satisfaction. Having someone else point out a job well done.
-Sitting at a restuarant and watching somone else's kids play in total elation and pure, unadulterated happiness (Isn't it sad that we have need of a word like unadulterated?)
-Writing my thoughts in a forum like this where there are like-minded people willing to talk about it.

Maybe I'm too simple. I've discovered, however, that the more money you have, the more stressful your life is. I have several good friends who are exceptionally wealthy. They pursue money, not necessarily for the sake of the money but because they love the game of it. However, they also complain that they have to spend a lot of time working on the management of it after they acquire it and the more they have the more time and energy they have to turn toward it. Stressful.

Eh. I'm rambling now.

Very good thread, WWJD. Very good thread.

--Wag--

Sounds like Wag and I aim for the stress free version of acquiring our toys
tounge.gif
beerchug.gif
I rather like the stress free living...

It's all just stuff, it comes and goes...enjoy it if you can, share it when you can and dump it when it's a chore...

Being a divorced, single father of one beautiful boy has taught me that money is DEFINATELY not everything. There is so much more to life than making money. I could make a ton more money if I wanted to, and I don't think ill of those who do or wish to. I just know how much "play time" means to my five year old boy and I now know how much it means to me!!
beerchug.gif

(05 Busa LE @ Jan. 09 2007,11:03) "But, I've often stated that perhaps the very things we constantly chase until our death is exactly the things that keep up unhappily running after things that don't satisfy."

Sounds like a Buddhist--you must first recognize the thing that is causing the pain. And most people don't--they keep inflicting the pain, thinking that when they get the next thing, or get to the next stage, it'll be gone.
wow. great stuff gang - as usual. and here I thought this thread would just drop off the screen.
smile.gif

They "pain" is STATUS ANXIETY according to this study - and I think that is right. It's driven home in the smallest of hidden ways.... like buying and reading the sunday paper

i'll read more of this when I get home

Einstein once said something to the effect of, " Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

At the very least, if you're not happy, you need to change something. The trick may be in accurately discovering what needs to be changed but for cryin' out loud, change SOMEthing. Just be careful you make the best judgement possible for your change.

--Wag--

After my wife and I both lost our jobs just a few months apart, we started our house painting business.  One job we did was a 14,000 square foot house.  One day, the owners 6 year old son came up to me and said that his dad told him that people were jealous when they came into their house.  My first reaction was to ask him "Do you think so?"  I think it blew his mind.  It definately brought home to me that money was not what my wife and I care about.  Granted, it was a very nice house, but I certainly didn't envy it.  And we didn't act differently to the owners because they had a lot of wealth.

It is true that some people ARE jealous. Money is not only an affliction for the wealthy. It can be a traumatic problem for the destitute if they delude themselves into believing that their problems would all go away if they only won the lottery.

Happiness is arguably a mere state of mind. Circumstances can affect that state of mind, however, so to believe you just have to think it and it will be is a path requiring some caution.

--Wag--

Back