Hmm, rear entry helmet?

Looks cool, concerned about push button release on the sides and impacts on the ground. That was and still is one of the draw backs to the modular design of lids that are sold now. Not in a rush to try this this lid.

Seems like a great design to break your jaw and crush your throat in a frontal crash.
And that the helmet would easily break open and off of your head with a side impact.
I respect the innovation, but no thanks.

I gotta say, when I saw the title of this post I was totally skeptical and pessimistic. But after seeing the vid, I think the design is pretty darn good. That said, as with any new product, one wonders if the design and theory will bear out in the practical world.

Thanks for posting this up. I work in the industry and hadn't ever heard of this design.

Looks cool, concerned about push button release on the sides and impacts on the ground. That was and still is one of the draw backs to the modular design of lids that are sold now. Not in a rush to try this this lid.
As you mention, this is similar to the modular design. However, I would deem this desing safer as it requires TWO buttons on OPPOSITE locations to allow the helmet to open. A modular may have a chin strap to keep it on your head, but that does nothing to keep the front locked down. The modular design has been DOT approved and, obviously, been embraced by the buying public, so I don't see any greater risk with this design.

Same here,i'd have to see some real life testing,reviews,etc. before i got one.
Agreed. More than anything, I'd like to see one in person and experience the fit, locking mech's, etc.

Dot / snell ?
Per their site, they will be DOT certified. :) Not that DOT means all that much. I mean, c'mon...they certify half-helmets. :rofl:

Seems like a great design to break your jaw and crush your throat in a frontal crash.
And that the helmet would easily break open and off of your head with a side impact.
I respect the innovation, but no thanks.
I had similar thoughts about the jaw/throat injury potential, but I'm not sure that holds water since in a forceful enough face first impact, even a chin strap could crush the larynx and any helmet could be forced into the jaw. As for breaking open in a side impact, see my post above. Again, I'll hold final judgement until I actually try one on, but I think the design is likely to be at least as safe as the modular design and probably even safer.

One final thought: Remember, a helmet isn't designed or expected to handle the forces of a 200 MPH impact. Nothing will save you from injury death if you hit a bridge pillar at those speeds. Rather, helmets are designed to protect in much lower force circumstances. Even 20 mph full force impact can sometimes defeat a helmet. The protection of a helmet is most useful in preventing injuries that would otherwise occur from simply falling to the ground from riding height or glancing off the ground during slides and rolls, etc. Of course they also provide protection from the elements and preserve vison which enables us to prevent an incident in the first place. Considering all of this, I'd say this new design has serious potential.

Regards,

Melodic

I gotta say, when I saw the title of this post I was totally skeptical and pessimistic. But after seeing the vid, I think the design is pretty darn good. That said, as with any new product, one wonders if the design and theory will bear out in the practical world.

Thanks for posting this up. I work in the industry and hadn't ever heard of this design.

As you mention, this is similar to the modular design. However, I would deem this desing safer as it requires TWO buttons on OPPOSITE locations to allow the helmet to open. A modular may have a chin strap to keep it on your head, but that does nothing to keep the front locked down. The modular design has been DOT approved and, obviously, been embraced by the buying public, so I don't see any greater risk with this design.

Agreed. More than anything, I'd like to see one in person and experience the fit, locking mech's, etc.

Per their site, they will be DOT certified. :) Not that DOT means all that much. I mean, c'mon...they certify half-helmets. :rofl:

I had similar thoughts about the jaw/throat injury potential, but I'm not sure that holds water since in a forceful enough face first impact, even a chin strap could crush the larynx and any helmet could be forced into the jaw. As for breaking open in a side impact, see my post above. Again, I'll hold final judgement until I actually try one on, but I think the design is likely to be at least as safe as the modular design and probably even safer.

One final thought: Remember, a helmet isn't designed or expected to handle the forces of a 200 MPH impact. Nothing will save you from injury death if you hit a bridge pillar at those speeds. Rather, helmets are designed to protect in much lower force circumstances. Even 20 mph full force impact can sometimes defeat a helmet. The protection of a helmet is most useful in preventing injuries that would otherwise occur from simply falling to the ground from riding height or glancing off the ground during slides and rolls, etc. Of course they also provide protection from the elements and preserve vison which enables us to prevent an incident in the first place. Considering all of this, I'd say this new design has serious potential.

Regards,

Melodic

I agree that any helmet can cause injury to the face/jaw/throat, and that so can the strap.
My concern is that there is solid helmet material below your jaw and extending back towards your throat, as opposed to just sitting directly in front of your jaw. You would essentially now have an inch or more less of space for the helmet to pushed back before it contacted your throat.
Anything can happen in an accident, and a helmet can kill you as quick as it can save you(even though odds are much higher of it saving than killing you).
Again, it's a cool idea, just not for me personally:beerchug:

Looks cool but its only latches holding the to halves together. If I push one switch and apply the amount of pressure that would happen during a high speed crash/impact I bet I would break open. I still like it though . I wonder how comfortable it is on long rides. I bet its quieter than most

I just couldn't stand my chin being pushed into a "cup" all day. That would sukk. Get sweaty,and I'll bet 5 O'clock shadow feels real nice sitting in a cup all day.

The lid I have now,at least it breathes a little,this thing wraps to tightly around the neck.

In a low speed side impact to the lids chin bar...I'd rather have the helmet rotate a little bit like the helmets we have now,rather than taking my jaw along for the ride.

At a crash site (been on the receiving end) I wouldn't want paramedics to have to lift my head up,chin to chest,to get this thing off. For me,they cut my chin strap and pulled back,they didnt have to lift my head. (apparantly):laugh:

I know a chin strap is good for years...how many "clicks" do you get outa this thing. Its not just gonna get clicked twice per ride,I had my lid off probably 20 times today. Its got "moving parts". If it swings,slides,moves in anyway...its gonna break.EVERYTHING wears out. What happens when it breaks 200 miles from home?
Just glue it shut. ??? Our bikes are fast...maybe use that "200MPH tape." ??? Perhaps call Red Green,he can fix anything with duct tape.:rofl:

What happens when dirt/debis and yer kids bubblegum finds its way into that locking mechanism?

I wonder if this lids intergity will be compromised by a thick beard? I know a firemans respirator,a painters mask,and full face scuba dont work worth a damb with a heavy beard. They better include a dis-claimer for men and circus women with thick beards.

I have a clean shaven head...so...no "Helmet head." Am I now gonna get laughed at for having "Helmet Chin." :laugh:

The old dude in the video who co-invented the thing has a cute little catch-phrase for the adjustable chin cup....

"JUST SET IT...AND FORGET IT."

Well I didn't buy one of them shiddy Ronco ovens...and I ain't buyin' this piece of krap either.

RSD.

nice idea but i'll pass. i like a 1 piece lid and i don't trust those plastic tabs for impact purposes.

Well for one thing, it should be a quiet helmet... Can't see women using this, could you imagine putting this on without getting hair pinched in there? :rofl:

I still don't want to be first. What happens to the locking mechanism on that one side when that one side is pushed. Is the locking released on one side and not the other so one side is still holding it? Or does the locking mechanism stay completely latched if one side is pushed? Then there is the fact the helmet is basically 2 completely separate parts held on a hinge at the top with clips on the side.

What happens when the impacts are at those locations???

arai.jpg

The Most Damaged Helmet We've Ever Seen

Even a 3/4 helmet is a solid piece of protection over most of your head. If they are selling it must of pass testing, I will wait to see how the helmets an people do when the heads start hitting the ground in so many different ways.

arai.jpg

Back