HMF Highmounts Users-Any Problems?

flynlow

Registered
I've always loved the look of the Highmounts that some of you showed on your bikes and I'm getting close to getting a set for mine. So far the best price I found is 1K shipped for a full dual CF w/brushed angle tips.

Are there any issues other than the swingarm rub if not adjusted correctly? I've read somewhere about the heat causing the plastics to melt. Any truth in that?

I'd really love to see these on my bike and will try to work around any troubles involved, just like to know what I'm getting into.

I have em and love em. They look awesome and sound even better. I did suffer a little swingarm rub when riding 2 up. I'm going to try to fix that rub issue this winter. They are adjusted about as good as they are going to get. So i may have to tweek the pipe in a bender, Or i might just put a small dent in it where it rubs. I bought extra heat shield and also wrapped the headders. I don't see how anyone could have these without wrapping them and adding extra heat shield and not melt plastic.

I just found out about heat shields today and I've been checking this system off and on for some time. Where do the shields go and how much pipe do you wrap?

I have the HMF single high mount. Even with the heat shield, I have some plastic melting. Its on the bottom near the back so it isn't noticable unless you are really looking for it. No problems with the swing arm rubbing, but it took a bit of persuation to get the midpipe adjusted just right. I'd definately get them again.

DSCI0221.jpg

Which part gets the heat, the painted tail fairing or the black plastic fender/battery tray?

I was going to get a Power Bronze undertail, but maybe that'll be to close to the heat.

i wrapped my headers and ceramic coated from the x on back with carbon fiber cans and haven't had any problems...i fell in love with the look and sound from day 1 and wouldn't want any other exhaust on Lucy :beerchug:

IMG_5902 (Large).jpg

Which part gets the heat, the painted tail fairing or the black plastic fender/battery tray?

I was going to get a Power Bronze undertail, but maybe that'll be to close to the heat.

The bottom of the side fairings where they bolt to the belly wing.

DSCI0006.jpg

Last edited:
The bottom of the side fairings where they bolt to the belly wing.

Your mids look to be ceramic coated as well and the pipes still burned. I wonder if taping just in that area could prevent burning.
Still, it doesn't appear serious enough to deter me from enjoying a set on mine.

i wrapped my headers and ceramic coated from the x on back with carbon fiber cans and haven't had any problems...i fell in love with the look and sound from day 1 and wouldn't want any other exhaust on Lucy :beerchug:

I agree, they just look so right on your bike. I'm coating the mids as well, thanks for the preview. :thumbsup:

The mids are powder coated (shameless plug for tmpowdercoating here). The headers are not. It may only be a problem on the single highmount because of the header pipe crossing over from left to right.

Back