HMF High Mount Full System - Melted Fairing

magic-rat

Registered
I got an HMF high-mount full system for an 04 Busa. Had it professionally installed.

They put the heat shield at the bottom of the fairings, but not up at the front by the header ... and it burned through the fairing on the right side of the bike.

The dealer (Coleman's Powersports, Woodbridge, VA) says it's the Manufacturer's fault. The manufacturer does not have a web site and does not answer their phone or return calls (216-631-6981).

1) Does anybody have the mounting instructions that come with the system? I gave them to the dealer and he never gave them back ... I wanna see if he was supposed to put heat shield up-front by the header.

2) Does anybody have any better contact info at HMF?

3) Has anyone had a similar problem?

My email: tflanders3@comcast.net

Thanks,

LTC Pat Flanders

Dang ... that is messed up. I had mine installed last year by the Suzuki dealer here in Frederick. I'd read some post on another board about one guy having similar problems. Twice his plastic was melted, but that has been the only other news I've heard among all of the other HMF high mount users except for yours now. I bought some extra heat tape before I took my bike in, but they only put a small amount at the rear of the fairing where the mid-pipe exits. I did not get my installation instructions either and I doubt that they kept them. There is a member 'pipefighter' on this board that will be purchasing some soon, so he might be able to help with instructions. Another option is to contact Dennis 'Motorhead' from SH.org as he has a relationship with HMF.
I like Coleman's, but when I'm in VA I use the Falls Church store, but my favorite Suzuki shop is Championmotorsports in Herndon.
Hope this helps.

I don't think its a manufacturers problem. I would say it's the installers problem. They should have made sure that there was sufficient clearance between plastics, electronics and other obstructions. I would almost bet if got in touch with HMF thats what they would say.

Dang ... that is messed up. I had mine installed last year by the Suzuki dealer here in Frederick. I'd read some post on another board about one guy having similar problems. Twice his plastic was melted, but that has been the only other news I've heard among all of the other HMF high mount users except for yours now. I bought some extra heat tape before I took my bike in, but they only put a small amount at the rear of the fairing where the mid-pipe exits. I did not get my installation instructions either and I doubt that they kept them. There is a member 'pipefighter' on this board that will be purchasing some soon, so he might be able to help with instructions. Another option is to contact Dennis 'Motorhead' from SH.org as he has a relationship with HMF.
I like Coleman's, but when I'm in VA I use the Falls Church store, but my favorite Suzuki shop is Championmotorsports in Herndon.
Hope this helps.
Sage is right, I ordered the same system last week, but have not heard anything back from the tuner. I am hoping it will be in sometime this week and will post what the instuctions say about the heat shield and locations to put it.

Yeeap! I found it. Its not in mnit conndition however overall still readable. Let me know if you want it.

I don't think its a manufacturers problem. I would say it's the installers problem. They should have made sure that there was sufficient clearance between plastics, electronics and other obstructions. I would almost bet if got in touch with HMF thats what they would say.
Agreed!!!!
he who installs it has to check it. That is like if they installed a tire and didn't check rotation whos fault then not the tire the installer. you are getting a runaround from the shop. I have installed many pipes and each one you must check for hot spots

When you(they ) install the headers on the bike you have to adjust them not to hit the fairing(s). They are fully adjustable if the installer read the instructions?? it would tell you this. you have to put the whole system on loose to make final adjustments for leaks, hitting the bike,etc. I found out the long hard way. But I didn't melt anything.

I installed a HMF HIMount last week. The instruction clearly state that if the pipe is not installed properly the plastics will melt.
The plastics have to fit properly with about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch clearence, depending on the area.
I insulated the entire bottom part of the plastics along the exhaust including under the exhaust by the x connection.
I have 500 miles on the pipe and no problems with heat thus far.
Unfortunately most shops just care to fit the after market pipes, they are not concern with long term effects.
I hope this helps...
John NYC

Welcome Magic-Rat, Itsnee and BusaJohn.
It is definately the installation - do they guarentee labor? I would ask to see the service manager - a copy of the instructions would be very useful at this point. When I was in Q-Town, I hated Coleman; poor service and high prices. Used to sort of prey on military people.

Welcome to all the new guys. Sorry to hear about your fairings. I put my BDE on this winter and so far haven't had any problems with mine. Crossing my fingers.
sad.gif

I thoroughly researched this before installing my dual high mounts, did not take ant chances and wrapped mine all the way to the x-pipe, no problems at all!
smile.gif

Hey Magic-rat....didnt know you had a busa too
smile.gif
. My plastics are melting as well have you tried rotating the pipes any...and as the old saying goes if you want something done right do it your self

Back