HMF dual highs

05 Limited #554

Registered
6 hours last night getting this thing to fit and still not done.

Unless you have 2 people, LOTS of tools (grinder, air tools, clamps, hammer) and a full 8-10 hour day to get it right, by a different system.

The pipes are not marked 1-2 or 3-4 so you have to try each one and get it to fit. (Basically GUESS a few times)

The pipes were not perfectly round so they did not match up with the x-pipe (this is where the hammer, a big socket and the clamp come in handy to re-round the pipes)

The left side rear pipe hits the swingarm, so you need to space it differently than the instructions say otherwise it WILL rub the swingarm. (3 washers added to the rear, 2 to the front)

The right side (spaced like the instructions say) hit's the tire. So you'll need to space it differently as well.

Once you get the pipes fitted and check the can locations, then you have to adjust everything so the cans are even height wise and length wise.

Now it's time to install the rear plastics again....

Oh yea, did I mention the plastics BOW big time? I didn't? well they do. I was only able to use 5 of the 6 snap clips holding the rear tail on. The rear pegs are pushed out so far, you have to muscle the tail section in place and HOPE and PRAY the bolts line up.

Lastly, I ordered "BLACK CHROME" cans, but what I got is nothing NEAR Black or Chrome. I was told the cans looked like "Gunmetal" (dark gray right?) But from what I can tell, they look anthricite to me. (Slight GREEN tint)

I'm going to call HMF later and find out what the deal is.

I'll post up pics later.

Sorry, last thought.

I paid almost $1000 and I was really disappointed with the fit, finish and overall quality. I know I'm not the only one who had problems with the HMF pipes not fitting very well, but I liked the look and sound so that's why I went with them.

<!--EDIT|05 Limited #554
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121833488 -->

Oh yea, I also installed the "Brocks Performance" pair valve block off kit...

Top quality!!! I highly recommend this kit! It was SO simple to install and the instuctions are clear and concise.

bowdown.gif

<!--EDIT|05 Limited #554
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121833337 -->

Wow, hopefully the pipes are still in like new shape so you can return them. I haven't heard of a fit problem that bad, sounds like they screwed up on your order.

6 hours last night getting this thing to fit and still not done.

Unless you have 2 people, LOTS of tools (grinder, air tools, clamps, hammer) and a full 8-10 hour day to get it right, by a different system.

The pipes are not marked 1-2 or 3-4 so you have to try each one and get it to fit. (Basically GUESS a few times)

The pipes were not perfectly round so they did not match up with the x-pipe (this is where the hammer, a big socket and the clamp come in handy to re-round the pipes)

The left side rear pipe hits the swingarm, so you need to space it differently than the instructions say otherwise it WILL rub the swingarm. (3 washers added to the rear, 2 to the front)

The right side (spaced like the instructions say) hit's the tire. So you'll need to space it differently as well.

Once you get the pipes fitted and check the can locations, then you have to adjust everything so the cans are even height wise and length wise.

Now it's time to install the rear plastics again....

Oh yea, did I mention the plastics BOW big time? I didn't? well they do. I was only able to use 5 of the 6 snap clips holding the rear tail on. The rear pegs are pushed out so far, you have to muscle the tail section in place and HOPE and PRAY the bolts line up.

Lastly, I ordered "BLACK CHROME" cans, but what I got is nothing NEAR Black or Chrome. I was told the cans looked like "Gunmetal" (dark gray right?) But from what I can tell, they look anthricite to me. (Slight GREEN tint)

I'm going to call HMF later and find out what the deal is.

I'll post up pics later.

Sorry, last thought.

I paid almost $1000 and I was really disappointed with the fit, finish and overall quality. I know I'm not the only one who had problems with the HMF pipes not fitting very well, but I liked the look and sound so that's why I went with them.
I have heard several stories of how the HMF highs were a pain in the ass. If you had done a search here, you would have found similar stories. However, like you, I really liked the looks and the sound, so I went with them. But I was smart, I had my performace shop do the install. Guess what? When I picked up the bike, they complained vigorously about the install. Because I know the guy, he only charged me for half the labor that it really took. The fit and finish of these pipes is terrible, but the end result is good.

I had my pipes polished and replaced the HMF tag. Here is a pic.

HMF_Bike_001_sm.JPG

They will take care of you,I have no complaints.The install wasnt that hard,but I did plenty of research before hand.I followed fastsjonnys install directions and pics.You are correct in the spacer thing,not like the directions said, but no big deal,still saved bucks on the install and I KNEW it was right when I got done.Sorry you had such a hard time,I will say, if your plastics melt or or are touching, you have something wrong.I did several mock-ups on the floor beside the stock headers before installing.It was easier to install everything in one piece for me except the mids and cans of course.Save yourself some time and money and wrap the headers,the wrap will protect you somewhat for a slightly "off" install. Plastics are expensive! NJ.

These things are definitely a pain in the rear to install. When I got mine from pipefighter248 there was a small dent on the inside of the left rear midpipe. I emailed him to ask why and his explanation soon made sense. It was to make a little more room so it did not hit the swing arm, which is fine as you can't notice it and he saved me the headache.

They do take some time and fuss to get right but when they are done they look awesome. Something doesn't sound right if you had to space that much and your plastics are now bowing. I have heard mixed results on pipe wrap as it can promote corrosion but definitely get some self adhesive thermal barrier and do up the inside of the fairings wherever the pipes are near. I also put a piece on the side of the radiator coolant pipe that runs by the right down tube to ensure nothing happened there.

I also think for the money the fit and finish could be better than it is but I am very happy with mine. I am also comparing that finish to my Two-Bro's I had on before and they are second to none. If you keep them you may want to consider slightly denting the inside of the left midpipe where it crosses the swing arm. It will fit much better and will keep it from rubbing, along with the fact that you wont need so many spacers.

Overall they need some improvements but the look and performance gain are worth it.
smile.gif

Busa_004.jpeg

They will take care of you,I have no complaints.The install wasnt that hard,but I did plenty of research before hand.I followed fastsjonnys install directions and pics.You are correct in the spacer thing,not like the directions said, but no big deal,still saved bucks on the install and I KNEW it was right when I got done.Sorry you had such a hard time,I will say, if your plastics melt or or are touching, you have something wrong.I did several mock-ups on the floor beside the stock headers before installing.It was easier to install everything in one piece for me except the mids and cans of course.Save yourself some time and money and wrap the headers,the wrap will protect you somewhat for a slightly "off" install. Plastics are expensive! NJ.
I'm gonna need a link to those4 instructions please! The shop that installed my hi-rise system honestly tried their best but I'm gonna re-do it. the belly pan won't fit and they are definately not symetrical. Any instructions or installation tips are greatly appreciated. I will print them all and combine them for a perfect fit!

They are definately not the easiest to install but well worth it in the end. I love mine...did have to shim here and there bend a bracket or two for the right fit but it was worth it for me.

Here's a money shot, as if you havent seen them before! LOL!
NJ,
This worked when I did it to pipefighter248 so now it is your turn.
(insert jedi mind trick here)
You will give me your CF cans with the custom tips.
smile.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Careful NJ.
It really did work.
Go get em' PF'r.
smile.gif

See NJ I told ya so.
tounge.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

smile.gif

I'm gonna need a link to those4 instructions please! The shop that installed my hi-rise system honestly tried their best but I'm gonna re-do it. the belly pan won't fit and they are definately not symetrical. Any instructions or installation tips are greatly appreciated. I will print them all and combine them for a perfect fit!
Heres the one I actually used: www.wardsweb.org/busa/hayabusa_mods_hmf_install.html

<!--EDIT|nitrousjunkie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121912201 -->

hell for what you spent on the block off plates they better be nice. that is a rip!!! next time go to Home Depot and spend .25 and block them with self tapping bolts

Back