Hmf dual high mount question

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
I am trying to get all the questions that I can answered before it gets here on Friday so this huge PITA that everyone says it is will be as painless as possible.

Having said that:

The bolts that bolt the passenger peg mounts on are 1 1/8" long. It is my understanding that the cans mount on those bolts (I have install instructions in route from HMF). I have been told I need to get longer bolts for those locations. Here is my question, finally.

How thick is that bracket and how much longer do those bolts need to be?

Thanks in advance.

Don

Don,
You are going to love those... If I was in the market to change out my Devils I would jump on wiht HMFs!

The bolts are included.
wink.gif

You might pick up some header wrap at the local speed shop. I wrapped the pipes back to the "Y", to protect the fairings. Other than that, be patient, and don't forget to throw something over the radiator to protect the fins from being bent over. I made that mistake and the dinged up radiator fins are unsightly to say the least...

Is wrapping really necessary or can you get away with just putting some heat shielding on the fairing?

Cosmetics do matter to me and I think the wrapped header (plus the smell complaint) will look like poop thru the side vents. Granted a wrapped pipe looks better than a hole in a fairing but....I would much rather get a way with just heat shielding and no wrap.

NJ - Didn't you say you didn't wrap and had no problems?

This is my fav exhaust for the Busa on my wish list but there are so many friggin' issues/extra steps/precautions with this exhaust and something new is always popping up.

Can someone (NJ?) post what you need to know regarding extra steps (spacers, header wrap, bending, etc.) for installing this particular exhaust system on the Busa?

i spaced mine out and i still had issues with the pipe hitting my swingarm... i think its because i have the gsxr 750 arm on there and it's a bit shorter so the brace is in a diff place and crap. i said screw it, i got a stock arm to go on instead. going to pick up the front/rear some more again and put a 180 on the back and see whats up lol.

It might be very possible to get away with not wrapping, but it's a very expensive problem if the experiment doesn't work
AAAssjani.gif
. I don't think this issue is specific to the HMF system; I think most complete systems will have larger diameter header pipes that will probably put off a liitle more heat than the stock sysytem. I really didn't have any other issues; the spacing through the rear peg bracket took a few combinations of spacers and washers to get the cans perfectly spaced to the tail piece, but that didn't take long at all. Remember that the swing arm will rise in relation to the chassis when the suspension compresses and so the spacing between the upper swingarm brace to the pipe that the can goes onto needs to be about 1/2-5/8 of an inch. There was a thread about this, you can adjust that spacing with washers at the can bracket or by loosening the clamps and slightly twisting the pipe going to the can.

Is wrapping really necessary or can you get away with just putting some heat shielding on the fairing?

Cosmetics do matter to me and I think the wrapped header (plus the smell complaint) will look like poop thru the side vents.
Good point...I didn't care for that look either, so I went with grilles in the side vents. The diamond grille matches the grill in the nose piece and hides the pipes surprisingly well. Like anything, if one looks hard enough.....I guess a person has to weigh the advantages vs disadvantages.

I've already got the fairing grills from postal and if you look at the pic below, you can still look right in and see the radiator. So I figure white wrapped pipes would still be pretty easy to see...of course the sun was setting and the light just blows right in there at this angle.

To bad they don't make black colored pipe wrap (or grey or something darker than white) things would be darn near invisable then...instead of somethng off like a 1000 year old mummy
tounge.gif

IMG_2829.jpg

<!--EDIT|Justyntym
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156347357 -->

I've already got the fairing grills from postal and if you look at the pic below, you can still look right in and see the radiator. So I figure white wrapped pipes would still be pretty easy to see...of course the sun was setting and the light just blows right in there at this angle.

To bad they don't make black colored pipe wrap (or grey or something darker than white) things would be darn near invisable then...instead of somethng off like a 1000 year old mummy
tounge.gif
Mummy wrap....good description  
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Yeah, my dinged up radiator is pretty visible too (I really wish I had been more careful), but the pipes aren't as obvious.

<!--EDIT|Red05
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156353018 -->

laugh.gif

They might not make black pipe wrap but they do have high temp black spray paint at Autozone. You could always wrap & paint.

I went with the heat shielding on the fairing option myself and haven't had any problems. Found some aluminum furnace tape at Home Depot and put several layers everywhere the pipes came close to the fairing.

They might not make black pipe wrap but they do have high temp black spray paint at Autozone. You could always wrap & paint.

I went with the heat shielding on the fairing option myself and haven't had any problems. Found some aluminum furnace tape at Home Depot and put several layers everywhere the pipes came close to the fairing.
high temp black spraypaint...hmmm. I think that is a good idea. Any nay sayers out there?

Back