HKS Blow-Off Valve

65Cobra

Registered
I'm considering the Tial 50mm Blow-Off Valve, but after reading past posts, I've since looked at the Greddy and HKS. Although I'm sure the Greddy works fine it won't get me to change my mind. The HKS sounds interesting, but appears to be rather large. The Tial body has a 3.73" max diameter and is 2.92" high without the top fitting. Anyone know how this compares to the HKS? I'd probably opt for the HKS if I knew it would fit under my tank. Thanks.

the hks valve reacts faster than most other valves due to its 2 stage design. it has a pretty neat sound that can be changed with different inserts.

i have seen the hks valves mounted under the tank. it is about the size of the turbo xs rfl and that seems to fit under the tank of mine in mock mountups. of course you could mount either bov in your up pipe outside the frame.

btw, if you are seeking a good sound as well, the tial is pretty quite, the hks is unique and greddy is whooshy sounding (ran all 3 different ones on cars)

Thanks Bubba. Curious if the sound can be changed to (somewhat) match the whooshy sound of the Greddy.

On another note, I called HKS and can't believe tech doesn't have the dimensions of their blow-off valve, and could only approximate the size saying it was 75mm high and 125mm long. How can a tech department not have dimensions?

Is there anyone that could measure the length and height of their HKS for me? I'd prefer to mount it under the tank but have limited room with my setup. I'd also like to know the inlet diameter if possible.

Also, tech said their newer Blow-off valve is smaller than their previous version so it would help to have the measurements of the newer version.

Thanks.

if you take the insert out of the hks, the screaming eagle sound is taken out of the sound (that high pitch split second sharp whistle) then it sound much like any other valve.

i personally like the turbo xs rfl. its an attention getter *lol* although it is a bit slow to react at times.

ive got an turbo xs rfl on my busa its alright but not very loud. my bro has an hks ssqv and its much louder because of the higher pitched squeel. i like the hks better because it is a pull type bov vs a push type valve. some day im gonna switch mine out.

both are go depends on what you like. I have my HKS under the tank off the Plenum and you can still hear it loud.

Ninja Eater, would you be willing to measure your HKS? It appears to be larger than others and HKS tech didn't have the dimensions per my earlier post above.

What system are you running and what size is your Plenum? I will try to gt out and open up the tank for dimensions this weekend. , but it will all depend on the size of the Plenum if you are coming off it with the BOV.

The plenum is from a Mr Turbo kit so the only place for a BOV is on top but clearance between the plenum and gas tank looks to be a problem with any of the better BOV's. The only alternative I can think of is run a pipe from the top of the plenum forward and mount the BOV in front of the plenum.

Instead I'm leaning towards machining a 2-1/4" spacer to fit between the base and top of the Mr Turbo plenum, then the 50mm BOV and 2" air inlet could be mounted to the front of the spacer. This would also double the capacity of the plenum and hopefully let my tank close completely without using spacers.

I'd also consider buying a new plenum but the spacer would cost much less and I rather like the looks of the Mr Turbo plenum.

Here are the outside dimensions of the Mr Turbo plenum... 5" x 13" x 1-3/4". The 1-3/4" height is for the box only. Pretty small, which is why I was thinking of adding the 2-1/4" spacer. Thanks.

You may want to look at something like a type S Turbo X blow off valve. It has a 25mm .968 inches. Something like that would work in the side of the plenum. There are a few iothers around the same size.

Ninja Eater, don't take this wrong but that wasn't the direction I was heading. I'm either modifying or replacing the Mr Turbo plenum. The size of the HKS was going to help me decide what and how to continue. The idea is to modify or replace the plenum, replace the FMU and Wastegate, and add a BOV this summer. Over the next couple years I plan to replace the header and turbo, then prep the motor so I can increase the boost. So I'm trying to install a BOV now, that will serve me well later. Hope that made sense. Thanks for your input.

The plenum is from a Mr Turbo kit so the only place for a BOV is on top but clearance between the plenum and gas tank looks to be a problem with any of the better BOV's.
actually you can put a bov anywhere on the pressurized side. it is best to have it as close as possible to the throttle bodies but it does not make too much of a difference if it is down closer to the turbo.

my rfl is mounted to the section of pipe just coming off the mr turbo plenum. you can weld a flange anywhere on that pipe and close the tank with no problems. the rfl is about as large as the hks ssq. fitting it is no problem.

i will try to snap a picture of it and post it later so you can have an idea of how it is mounted. unless you can find any pics of turbojohns old set up somewhere as it is his old stuff. as of now, mine is not installed. so i will have to just lay the pipe where it goes so you can get an idea.i run a 2 man bike shop and if i ever get a chance to work on mine, it will be some sort of miracle *LOL*

super.gif
PM -->
65Cobra @ May 28 2008 said:
1431729[/ATTACH] PM]
Ninja Eater, don't take this wrong but that wasn't the direction I was heading. I'm either modifying or replacing the Mr Turbo plenum. The size of the HKS was going to help me decide what and how to continue. The idea is to modify or replace the plenum, replace the FMU and Wastegate, and add a BOV this summer. Over the next couple years I plan to replace the header and turbo, then prep the motor so I can increase the boost. So I'm trying to install a BOV now, that will serve me well later. Hope that made sense. Thanks for your input.

Non taken.  Actually a very good solution is listed below from bubba_zenetti .  Placing the BOV in another place will allow you some flexability in the future as youn replace different parts.

super.gif

If you are getting the BOV for sound, definetly don't get the Tial. Its quiet. BUT must of the pro-builders are using Tial so...... Apparently they seal better under high boost and they vent the boost off much faster when they open. The reason there is no noise is because there is no restriction or sound makers in there to make noise. I just went through this a few months ago on my new kit. I wanted a good sounding BOV but everyone recommended to stick with Tial for consistancy and reliability.(Rcc, Stedman)

Back