HJC Helmet

mzrsq

Busaless
Donating Member
Registered
Just came across this on E-Bay and was curious if anyone is familiar with this helmet?  I currently have the Busa Shoei rf1000 (black/Silver)and an older rf900.  This is the first helmet I've come across that is in the anniversary orange.  Was wondering about the fit and construction and wind noise versus the shoei.  I'd really like to have a helmet that matches the bike, but hate to spend $500.00 on a helmet then pay to have it special painted afterwards.         Do any of you know of another anniversary orange helmet thats better quality if this is not good.

Also...........how's that $200.00 price tag look.

TIA

Scott

that is a $115 helmet new. do you really want that thing protecting the most valuable part of your body?

you can pick up new solid color arai's, shoei's, and suomy's for a few hundred bucks. then just fork out the extra $75 to have it painted the way you want.

Well, that's why I was aking. I know the Shoei is a quality helmet, beyond that I have never placed another manufacturer on my head. Still would love to have a matching anniversary orange helmet though.

Just came across this on E-Bay and was curious if anyone is familiar with this helmet?  I currently have the Busa Shoei rf1000 (black/Silver)and an older rf900.  This is the first helmet I've come across that is in the anniversary orange.  Was wondering about the fit and construction and wind noise versus the shoei.  I'd really like to have a helmet that matches the bike, but hate to spend $500.00 on a helmet then pay to have it special painted afterwards.         Do any of you know of another anniversary orange helmet thats better quality if this is not good.

Also...........how's that $200.00 price tag look.

TIA

Scott
get it, unless you just want some of the features that the $500 helmets have over the hjc, the hjc will protect your head just as good according DOT and SNELL.

I've got that exact same brand/model helmet...it cost me about $140, then add in the paint...it's a comfortable helmet...and it is DOT and SNELL endorsed...

Dude your get what you pay for. Go try on the same helmet at your local shop and see if you like the fit/feel. If it's right for you then consider this. It's a new helmet that fits like you like it and it's already painted in what you want.

Cost of helmet at your local shop plus paint = what he has it for listed + shipping...

Get it!

The new Scorpion is running $150 and it's got the same basic padding as the shoei. They run a lil tight on the noggin though.

I have two CL-14's, the fit (for my head) is very good and I like it. Wifey likes her's too....they are light, quiet and cool. It's a good helmet for the money.

BTW most HJC helmets are not very sound proof, you hear everything, unless they made changes over the last year.

I apreciate all of your posts. I'm still stuck on what to do. As I said, I already own 2 shoei's one of which is a brand new black/silver Busa model that retails for $500.00. I got that thrown in with the purchase as a last minute sign on the dotted line. I'm guessing since no one posted, they do not know of any other make or model that has anything close to the anniversary orange?

Guess I just come from the mold that thinks more is better. That $500.00 helmets are better than $200.00 helmets (not to offend anyone with $200.00 helmets). I'm just wondering if my desire to have a color matching helmet is worth setting aside the Shoei rf1000 busa helmet for image!

Thanks again, especially those of you that posted that own this model helmet

I apreciate all of your posts.  I'm still stuck on what to do.  As I said, I already own 2 shoei's one of which is a brand new black/silver Busa model that retails for $500.00.  I got that thrown in with the purchase as a last minute sign on the dotted line.      I'm guessing since no one posted, they do not know of any other make or model that has anything close to the anniversary orange?

Guess I just come from the mold that thinks more is better.  That $500.00 helmets are better than $200.00 helmets (not to offend anyone with $200.00 helmets).  I'm just wondering if my desire to have a color matching helmet is worth setting aside the Shoei rf1000 busa helmet for image!

Thanks again, especially those of you that posted that own this model helmet
More is not better. If you thought that way, you would have bought a Harley, because they cost way more. The thing you have to look at is, you are buying a name, not a product. If more was better, you would never buy anything that was cost less then the same product made by another company. I don't think anyone out there goes out and buys products just because they cost more then the competitors. Wehn you buy gas, do you go to the most expensive place in town? I bet you find the cheapest don't you?

Here's an Idea, instead of paying $200 for a new helmet,why not pay $200 and have yous custom painted? then you have the best of both worlds

I like HJC's I have used them for years.. They are well made and rightfully priced... I have the HJC AC-11 which is HJC's top line. CL-14 is 1 step down...

mc2.jpg

I'm not saying that they are bad helmets, I'm just saying that they aren't as good as the others for sound and weight. besides that most helmets are the same. HJC will save you just as much as a shoei or arai

Man, I never get the mentality of people that feel that just because it costs more, it's better. If they charged $600 for HJC and $500 for Shoei, would you buy HJC and say it's better. It 50% business. HJC might make a helmet that protects your head just as much but they don't rape everyone on the price. Do they mean it cost them 5X as much to make this helmet? OR...do they know that there are people out there that will pay $500 for a helmet. I agree with you guys that say, go all out for protection. Hell, I'll sacrafice some comfort (and sound) for the best protection. BUT, I will not go into a shop and say...hmmm...what's the most expensive helmet I can buy from you today? Do a little research fellow bikers and don't have that Harley mind!

Lots of people like that and they keep the economy alive and well. As far as overpaying for gas...yep I got a friend like that. Gullible is the best word that describes him. You can stick an MTD snowblower in front of him with a $700 price tag and the exact same snowblower with the SEARS name plastered on it for $1000 and he'll take the SEARS because "I'm sure they did some extra stuff to it that will make it well worth it in the long run". And yes, that scenario did happen.

Back to helmets...I've got an acient HJC FG9 that I still love to wear. Quality was top notch at the time and it had the DOT and SNELL specs. Currently wear a Bieffe GPR which is light as a feather compared to the old HJC. If I was in the market for a new helmet right now I wouldn't hesitate to consider an HJC over the Arai or Shoei.

i so wanted to come in here with some proof that the hjc's aren't as safe as the more expensive helmets. i went everywhere on the net looking for even the slightest sign that i was correct.

i found.... nothing. not one single shred of proof. except on the icon helmets, they have failed quite a few safety tests. as far as the hjc helmets though, they even sponsor pro riders which i was completely unaware of. get this, the helmet the riders use is an out of the box ac-11 which you can buy for $165, race graphics and all.

as much as i want to disagree, my argument has no proof. fact of the matter is that if hjc's $165 helmet is good enough for a pro racer, it is plenty good enough for us and up to the same standards as the arai's, suomy's, and shoei's.

congratulations to those of you who were right about this. i'll win next time damnit!

Last edited by a moderator:
ive had arai, shoei, and hjc. imo.. yea. the ARAI and SHOEI are NICER.. a bit lighter.. and flow a bit better. but now i role with a HJC. yea.. its cheaper.. but imo, those $400-700 helemets aint worth it. EACH company has a SNELL and DOT test they haev to go.. the $700 dont havea "better" test then the $150 helemets. its jsut liek name brand vs store brand.. same thing, just 1 ur paying for the name.

Thanks for the debate........ I suppose in my defense, it's my nieve knowlege of helmets or construction or interior pading that would lead me to believe a $500.00 shoei is better than a $200. HJC. In everyday life on products I have knowlege on, I make my desicions based on product quality, option, accessories, warranty............so on. And sometime the more expensive is the better, quite often it's not. As for this helmet debate, thats why I brought it here to seek opinions from those of you that have used the product in an everyday enviroment, to voice their opinions on quality, fit, noise, comfort. It has been my experience to only wear a Shoei. Why?
Because the the first Shoei (rf900) came with the bike when I purchased it used in 97, and the rf1000 I just got as part of the purchase of the busa and I chose it based soley due to previous experience with the brand, and the Busa graphics.

For what it's worth..............I emailed HJC and they told me they do not offer a orange helmet, so this must be painted and graphics'd (is that a word?) afterwards............HMMMMMMMM

Back