Hit a ball on the freeway today.

isiahstites

Registered
This morning at 6AM on the way to work on the bike I had a minor incident that could of been major. I was east bound in the middle lane of three lanes, I was flowing with traffic at 75-80 mph. It was a bit chilly this morning so I was tucked a bit behind the fairing/windshield. Out of my right side peripheral I see a green ball the size of a volleyball rolling across the freeway from right to left. It literally came out of nowhere and I had no time to react, I rolled out of the throttle slightly began to sit up and kept my course. I hit the ball perfect with my front tire and it popped.

I am convinced that this ball was a small version of a beach ball or one you would play with in a swimming pool. So thankfully nothing happened, but I can't get out of my head what happens if that is a ball with the same structural properties of basketball or soccer ball?

I think if I hit it the same, there is higher than not chance that I go down and of course there is 80 mph traffic behind me, scared the **** out of me!

Scott

:beerchug: Glad you are ok. They should use a ball in the MSF instead of a 2x4.

wow bet that scared you good. glad to hear your okay. dont think of what could of happened just be thankful it didnt!

I think a friend phrased it best today. He said "you couldn't hit that ball again if you tried" and I replied I bet your right, ten tries at it and I would be lucky to hit it once.

Scott

You need some spikes installed.

Good thing it pop'd and didn't get wrap in the wheel.

Droid via Tapatalk

Glad you ok. I caught some gravel today turning onto a street... Kicked it enough i threw my leg out. Then it gripped...

In my 4500 miles since Nov I've almost hit squirrels 3 times, encountered dogs just standing in the road 4 or 5 times. Seen 2X4s, scrap metal and other debris just lying in the road fortunately in enough time to avoid them. Best one was the top of a Christmas tree dead center in my lane. So far have been very fortunate to not hit anything.

So that begs the question. What is the most unusual thing you've almost (or actually) run into on the road?

ran into a flock of turkeys crossing the road one of the first times i ever rode on the street (seriously). scared the crap out of me. never had any weirder experiences than that. who else?

In my 4500 miles since Nov I've almost hit squirrels 3 times, encountered dogs just standing in the road 4 or 5 times. Seen 2X4s, scrap metal and other debris just lying in the road fortunately in enough time to avoid them. Best one was the top of a Christmas tree dead center in my lane. So far have been very fortunate to not hit anything.

So that begs the question. What is the most unusual thing you've almost (or actually) run into on the road?

A coyote carcass in the middle lane of the freeway. No cars around but it was sunrise and I was in a full tuck doin 80mph. Saw the blood spray first then guts and fur then what looked like at least a foot high carcass...I thought in a millisecond swerve or go over..my choice was to go over it, I think at the time I thought if I tried to maneuver it would have been slick as ice. I stood up and scream "SH&T" next thing I know I can smell flesh burning on my headers and my shoes and pants were splattered with guts...I think whatever hit it before me broke it up so it was kind of softened up.....

My friend hit a possum 6th gear pegged on a ZX7(140/150mph) Him and the bike were fine, the possum...not so lucky.:laugh:
I hit a deer on my 02 GSXR1000, no where to go(oncoming car and deep ditch)no time to stop, I snapped up a wheelie at 45/50mph and the bottom of the front wheel hit him dead in the ass:rofl:(200+lb buck) I pulled into a friends driveway and she happened to pull in not a minute later. She said "Oh my gosh I almost hit this huge deer standing in the middle of the road!" :laugh:He had a deathwish.

Back