Hiring decisions

I say hire outside. I was promoted from within. All my co-workers thought they would be on easy street with me being their boss. This made my job more difficult because I had to do what my boss told me to do. Most of them turned on me saying " I had changed". No kidding. A boss is there to make sure things get done weather you like it or not.

You took the words right out of my mouth !! When I was with my wife she got promoted to supervisor, and people were calling off, coming in late, and when she did what she was told by her boss, (comming from her "friends" she use to work with) "she let the promotion go to her head", She finaly put in for a transfer, and everything worked out after that.

I guess it would have alot to do with the people he'll be working with, do they respect him ?

If you are happy with your current employee then promote him. Development & promotion of your employees is a great reflection on you & the job you have done to prepare them. You will earn a loyal employee & show your genuine interest in the well being of others in the company. There are pros & cons to both sides.

oh boy I do not envy you... I had this remarkable experience before.. you are not in a good spot.. This was a choice that needed made before the first interview (parameters of hiring from within)

You already know if the guy from within the company is going to be able to do the job and I have a feeling you have your doubts (why you are here in the first place)...

Sucks but my guess is the outside guy is going to be a better choice unless you feel your guy can make the jump.. If he (your inside guys) is "Mr Social" with his subordinates, then I doubt anyone is going to be happy if he becomes a supervisor.. He now has to draw a line where is is above his friends and you know how that works..

If you do hire outside, you are going to have to talk to your inside guy and give him some relief as to why he was not promoted or he will likely sour on the choice..

Good luck...

Last edited:
I'm assuming you've already made your decision but I thought I'd chime in here.

Remember, that not all line employees make good supervisors. If you hire the inside guy, be prepared to mentor him (very rewarding, I might add) and groom him to be a good supervisor. The responsibilities are very different.

We see it all the time in sales. If a sales guy has a huge impact as a salesman, management has a tendency to wan to promote the guy to management. The theory is, of course, that his skills and abilities will somehow transfer to other sales people and the company will therefore make a mint.

'Tain't necessarily so. If he has no leadership abilities needed to be a supervisor or manager, he's simply going to fail at the new job.

With your inside guy, you have to assess as accurately as possible whether or not he has those leadership insights and talents which can be leverage immediately for the position. Has he shown demonstrable ability in the past to rally his co-workers to a cause that furthers the efficiency of the company? Does he set an example for his co-workers already? Demonstrate generosity and the nature of a servant? Care about the company but also the other employees? Exercise discretion and tact? Those can all help; of course, there are many others.

All of which can be trained into him if the company is willing to make the investment in him.

If there is the remotest chance that he can succeed at the new position, put him (your current employee) in it but be prepared to work on him. He's probably a diamond in the rough but he won't just magically turn into a supervisor. You'll have to work on him. I agree with you wholeheartedly that hiring the inside guy is tons and tons better than going outside the company. I highly recommend it, not because it's a reward, as you say, but because he knows your company's culture and has already demonstrated a tenacity for staying in the company.

When you offer him the position, however, I would definitely lay it all out for him. You think he's a wonderful employee (or however you say it in your company!) and that you expect good things from him. But outline a plan to give him the skills he needs to succeed at it. Or hone his existing skills. Make him commit to that plan and include in that plan leadership training outside the company, regular (monthly? quarterly?) progress interviews with you or his boss.

I'll just say one more thing. Even though I recommend hiring the inside guy if there is the remotest chance he will succeed, rest assured, his chances of succeeding are going to be greatly enhanced IF the company will throw it's weight behind supporting him in becoming the supervisor he can be. If the company puts him in that position and he fails because there is no support, then the company is at fault and reprehensible for doing so.

Tell us what decision you made. I'd love to hear about it.

--Wag--

Inside. Shows that hard work is appreciated and actually leads somewhere. Let us know what you decided.

I'm assuming you've already made your decision but I thought I'd chime in here.

Remember, that not all line employees make good supervisors. If you hire the inside guy, be prepared to mentor him (very rewarding, I might add) and groom him to be a good supervisor. The responsibilities are very different.

We see it all the time in sales. If a sales guy has a huge impact as a salesman, management has a tendency to wan to promote the guy to management. The theory is, of course, that his skills and abilities will somehow transfer to other sales people and the company will therefore make a mint.

'Tain't necessarily so. If he has no leadership abilities needed to be a supervisor or manager, he's simply going to fail at the new job.

With your inside guy, you have to assess as accurately as possible whether or not he has those leadership insights and talents which can be leverage immediately for the position. Has he shown demonstrable ability in the past to rally his co-workers to a cause that furthers the efficiency of the company? Does he set an example for his co-workers already? Demonstrate generosity and the nature of a servant? Care about the company but also the other employees? Exercise discretion and tact? Those can all help; of course, there are many others.

All of which can be trained into him if the company is willing to make the investment in him.

If there is the remotest chance that he can succeed at the new position, put him (your current employee) in it but be prepared to work on him. He's probably a diamond in the rough but he won't just magically turn into a supervisor. You'll have to work on him. I agree with you wholeheartedly that hiring the inside guy is tons and tons better than going outside the company. I highly recommend it, not because it's a reward, as you say, but because he knows your company's culture and has already demonstrated a tenacity for staying in the company.

When you offer him the position, however, I would definitely lay it all out for him. You think he's a wonderful employee (or however you say it in your company!) and that you expect good things from him. But outline a plan to give him the skills he needs to succeed at it. Or hone his existing skills. Make him commit to that plan and include in that plan leadership training outside the company, regular (monthly? quarterly?) progress interviews with you or his boss.

I'll just say one more thing. Even though I recommend hiring the inside guy if there is the remotest chance he will succeed, rest assured, his chances of succeeding are going to be greatly enhanced IF the company will throw it's weight behind supporting him in becoming the supervisor he can be. If the company puts him in that position and he fails because there is no support, then the company is at fault and reprehensible for doing so.

Tell us what decision you made. I'd love to hear about it.

--Wag--
How do you deal with a fail? demote?

As long as the employee from within can handle the fact that the buddies he was just working with will now have to do what he says with no complaints then hire from within.

I've been in managment for around 10 years and I've been on both sides of this coin. I was promoted to supervise my previous peers many years ago. Yes, they tested me, but they knew me well enough to know that I was going to work hard right beside them and not put up with any BS. It worked out great for me and I ended up with a team that went from not meeting their productivity numbers to excelling. It also improved the morale of the department. I'm not saying this will happen for everyone, but it does happen.

Personally I would never take a risk on an outsider IF I have an insider that I have already worked with and know their leadership style and work ethic. It's stupid to take a risk if you don't have to. If I didn't have anyone on the inside then I would look to the outside, but only as a last resort. I've been burned on some that came in with "experience", but didn't have a clue about leading people and didn't want to learn. I've discovered there are "professional interviewers" out there that sound good on paper and in person, but once you hire them it's :moon: .

Good luck with your decision! :thumbsup:

How do you deal with a fail? demote?

That's the hard part. Sometimes, people fail. It could be a failure of the person, but it could be a failure on the part of the company, the mentor, etc. Or both. Initial evaluation is generally the most frequent point of failure. You assess the ability of the individual or the varying circumstances incorrectly. Failure is a sure thing but you miss it. It happens.

I've been on the receiving and committing end of both types of failures. Very difficult, no matter what. By the same token, I've been on both sides of success, too.

The failure needs to be evaluated carefully in order to avoid in the future, if at all possible. Still, it isn't always possible. Regardless, the risk is generally worth it so long as you don't engage willy-nilly without careful evaluation.

Okay, how do you deal with the person who failed? Sometimes, you have to demote. Sometimes, the failure is bad enough to require a termination. It isn't always the employee who must go, either. Sometimes, it's the guy who made the initial decision.

Again, it's all a part of the risk of taking opportunities and looking for advantages. Just like anything else in life.

--Wag--

From within unless you think the guy can't handle the job, or you can't help him grow into it. Loyalty is a 2-way street.

What he said.

You as the manager should be prepared to groom the new person to what you need as a supervisor towards his subordinates.

If you hire from the outside, you have to groom towards what the company needs (example - the company standards of conduct, the wants and needs of your special customers. These steps leave room for mistakes, that can cause customer loss.) and what you need.

That's the hard part. Sometimes, people fail. It could be a failure of the person, but it could be a failure on the part of the company, the mentor, etc. Or both. Initial evaluation is generally the most frequent point of failure. You assess the ability of the individual or the varying circumstances incorrectly. Failure is a sure thing but you miss it. It happens.

I've been on the receiving and committing end of both types of failures. Very difficult, no matter what. By the same token, I've been on both sides of success, too.

The failure needs to be evaluated carefully in order to avoid in the future, if at all possible. Still, it isn't always possible. Regardless, the risk is generally worth it so long as you don't engage willy-nilly without careful evaluation.

Okay, how do you deal with the person who failed? Sometimes, you have to demote. Sometimes, the failure is bad enough to require a termination. It isn't always the employee who must go, either. Sometimes, it's the guy who made the initial decision.

Again, it's all a part of the risk of taking opportunities and looking for advantages. Just like anything else in life.

--Wag--
thanks..

Promote from within, i think the employee deserves his chance the outsider got his.

Last edited:
I cant believe no one has brought up expense yet. From a managerial standpoint you have to look at expense as well. Unless the job pays what it pays and everyone knows ( say 20/hr regardless of whos hired into it). Can you promote from within AND have it cost less than hiring outside? If so then that would be my choice. In a recent hire i set up a returning employee on a tiered pay system now that he was a supervisor. Cost me 20% less off the bat over the outside person i was looking at. This gave him 3 months for me to see how everything was going before a review when a new payplan would be discussed. worked out well.

Did that 20% include the lower cost resulting from less training required? Just curious.

--Wag--

Did that 20% include the lower cost resulting from less training required? Just curious.

--Wag--

No, as he had little to no experience supervising his salary was 20% less than the outside person i would have hired to do the job that had years of experience. So internally he got a promotion, a raise, and a chance at more money if he performed to mine and my companies expecatations. Like someone said , loyalty is key.

Back