Higher speed stability

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
I have FINALLY removed my side reflectors. :p Took it out on a maiden voyage and now at higher speeds, you know 65 [coughX2cough] it feels less planted, not as stable, not as aerodynamic. I wonder if the extra 1.5 lbs from the reflectors and bolts and tool kit is the key to making it stablize again? Perhaps the air deflecting off the reflectors and their mounts are part of the air current design Suzuki did in the wind tunnel testing and designs of the Busa?? Any ideas on this?

PS: I also recently put a 180 Diablo on the rear and and installed Heli-bar risers, but I'm sure none of that has anything to do with the less planted feel right? right???
SUPPOSING it IS Rear tire size, should I go back to a 190 to correct higher speed feel?

You are joking about the reflectors right?

Going to the 180 may make a difference. But it is likely the heli-bars that change the most as it changes the weight bias because of the bar-height change (making you lean not as far, hence less weight on the front). Try cranking more preload in the rear to make up for this and see what she does.

<!--EDIT|EAKbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1066668224 -->

The aerodynamic stability of the Busa is designed with those reflectors in place. You will lose cooling ability as well if you remove them. Also your tire wear will be adversly affected.
Not to mention you lighting system will not be able compensate.

Better put them back on ASAP!

Yeah Mikey D is correct. You did remember to install the DM14 air deflectors up front when you removed your reflectors right? Didn't I mention this in another thread WWJD? While you are at it, Be sure to change your Blinker fluid, and make certain that your muffler bearings aren't worn. If they are worn out, they will cause a high RPM resonance that when combined with your Reflector removal can create a slight distortion in the harmonic balance of the Frame and fork creating such high speed instability as you described...

Other wise, make certain that the colored dot on the tire lines up with the valve stem and that your wheel weights on the rear are there. Check your tire pressures. Lastly, if you have a diablo in the rear and a Bridgestone on the front the change in their respective profiles could have a real impact on the stability especially at high speed.

Oh and tucking out of the wind helps, did you try that? :D

hahaha  very funny Mikey and Rev.  Everyone knows there is no such thing as muffler bearings as that system relies on an enclosed diamond coated piston/lever to operate properly.  so there.  I will bleed the blinker fluid tonight.

I was leaning on the tank like normal when it's 1:30+pm ;D with my hands up in the air chopper style with heli-bars.   okay not THAT bad.  something just felt wrong, a little bouncier, a little less smooth.  got new Diablos on front and rear and had proper PSI in both.  Maybe I'll go back and have them re balance them.  even my 190 208 [gag!] felt more secure

EAK, you might be right also - even fully tucked, my whole arm would be back an inch and a half or two and that weight could seriously make the difference in my balancing act.

hmmm  all good points, cept for that fork tuning crap  :D

Ya know, I HAVE shifted down to neutral at 80-90 before... oooh is THAT a wench and I don't recommend it

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: "always another word to add"|1066671469 -->

It really could just be the different profile of the Diablos, combined with knocking a few mils off off your contact patch.  It doesn't seem possible to me that the 1.5" of arm weight relocated via the heli's could be the culprit.

I have been to the uhhh "Nutcrunchin" miss of 2nd gear twice now...Full throttle, tucked in tight up past about 87MPH go to click it into 2nd and ZIIINININGINGINGIG notin but rpms and deceleration...  oh ouch...

I recommend using Hyper- Pro Blinker fluid man, it's the lightest... ;)

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: "Dayum!!! Cause I freakin Wanted to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"|1066671980 -->

couldn't find Hyper-Pro blinker fluid at froogle.com....
is that something I'd find at Blo-Mart?

I can NOT believe WWJD removed those reflectors! Is the end of the world near and I just don't know it?!

...blinker fluid? Yeah, I think I might need some of that stuff...blinker's been REAL slow lately...

:bounce:

You guys are quite amusing today...must have been a good weekend! :tounge:

yeah, Va, I live on the edge... and the STICKERS might go next! trying to cut excess weight off bike so I can eat more.

Speaking of competition to Blo-Mart, is Iowa the only state with:
Kum&Go

Oh...and I finally invested a full $1.37 in a bottle of goo gone...it was just staring me down while standing in the slow line at Wally World...the tank sticker's next...wonder if I'll notice better gas mileage? :tounge:

Go gentle and take your time with the tank sticker...It's a beeotch but will come off eventually!!!

See, I had to work today and missed most of the fun! :D

You can imagine the fun I have with my auto students and subjects like this! ;)

yeah, Va, I live on the edge... and the STICKERS might go next!  trying to cut excess weight off bike so I can eat more.

Speaking of competition to Blo-Mart, is Iowa the only state with:  
Kum&Go
Stickers might go!!??

YIKERS!

I thought you wanted to save them for resale value? There goes the value through the floor. What's next?? Remove the seat and sit on bare frame?

Yeah,removing my reflectors changed the handling,but just wait 'till you get an undertail and take the stalk turn signals off.Looks cool,but renders the bike uncontrollable!

dood, its not the reflectors, its the glue, try switching to a non styrene or polymere, then go out for a ride, come back and tell us what you felt? WTFEYD! make sure you take the same road you took the first time you noticed this anomaly....

The aerodynamic stability of the Busa is designed with those reflectors in place.  You will lose cooling ability as well if you remove them.  Also your tire wear will be adversly affected.

Something tells me you're the same guy I catch at the airport telling the new guys to get you a bucket of prop-wash, and three-feet of flight line.  Right?  Hmmm?

<!--EDIT|Dangerously
Reason for Edit: None given...|1066778942 -->

The aerodynamic stability of the Busa is designed with those reflectors in place.  You will lose cooling ability as well if you remove them.  Also your tire wear will be adversly affected.

Something tells me you're the same guy I catch at the airport telling the new guys to get you a bucket or prop wash, and three-feet of flight line.  Right?  Hmmm?
And then meet me at the pool on the roof of the terminal!

:rofl:

Too much fun!

(BTW this is a newbie initiation rite at some big semiconductor manufacturer that begins with I!)

Not to mention sending the sophomore to the wood shop to get the orange board streacher.  Not the blue one, the orange one!

Back